Munich Itinerary comments?

Aug 24th, 2005, 02:07 PM
sockboy

Munich Itinerary comments?

I think that this is my very last detail to iron out for our upcoming trip.

I have 3.5 days in the Munich area, and am considering a few options:

1. Devote 3 full days to Munich and 1/2 day to Dachau.
2. Visit Ludwig's castles near Fussen "on the way" from Rothenburg to Munich. This gives me 4.5 hours at the Castles, and requires 7 hours on the train this day, and leaves me with 2.5 days in Munich and 1/2 day for Dachau.
3. Spend 2 days in Munich, 1/2 day at Dachau, and a full day trip to Ludwig's castles.
4. Same as 3, but replace the day trip with another option - Salzburg, Herrenchiemsee, etc.

I am having a hard time getting a handle on how much time we will want to spend in Munich, and if Ludwig's castles are a "must see" for me. We do like Museums, and I don't know if I should devote a whole day to seeing Museums in Munich. . .

Any and all comments, experiences, suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Aug 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM

For me the Deutsches Museum is very interesting. It is great for technology buffs. If you are looking for history and crown jewels you will want to see the "Residence" near downtown. Nymphenburg Palace is pretty nice, especially all the Cinderella coaches in the carriage house. The art museums Alte and Neues Pinakoteks are very good art museums.

The real charm of Munich to me is the fussganger zone, the Bavarian evening (7 pm nightly on the 3rd floor of the Hoffbrau Haus. I think it is 6 euros without dinner and about 20 euros with the buffet, beer is extra). The show is cheesy but fun and you will be there with tourists from all over the world.

Treat yourself to a real Bavarian dinner at the Augustiner on the fussganger zone about 2-3 blocks toward the train station from Marienplatz. A good place for a quick lunch is the Viktualien Mart about a block from Marien Platz (the glockenspeil on the Rathaus place)

Depending on when you are traveling the Englisher Garten is a nice stroll, try not to trip over the nude sunbathers.

I assume you are talking about Hohenscchwangau and Neuschwansttein when you say Ludwigs castles. He had a couple of other notable ones, Linderhoff and Herren Chiemsee.
Aug 24th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Lets see...

When I was in Munich I wished I had 3 full days for the city. I would say that includes a half day to Dachau and another half at the big Palace which is on the outskirts of the city. (I can't remember the name)

I didn't go to Ludwigs castle but I assume that will be an entire day.

I did go to Salzburg and whereas I don't regret it, I felt like I wasted my precious time. The train trip was long and although the city was nice, it was as fantastic as Munich and seemed to be a bit too touristy. For Salzburg you will spend at least half a day in transit.... too long!

Munich is fantastic and a lot of fun. The beer halls and Bavarian restaurants are a lot of fun. The shopping is amazing too. One thing I will add is that this is the cleanest and moist friendly city I ever visited in Europe. I remember everyone being so friendly and kind. I would allow any less than 2 days in the city otherwise you will be frustrated.

Oh, be sure to eat alot of those big soft pretzels and worlds best beer. They are so delicious!

I did this websight after my visit. I never finished it nor did I ever convert the German Marks into Euros but if you click on the link marked EAT it will list the restaurants I loved.

http://richardab.home.comcast.net/Fl.../Arrivals.html

Aug 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Schloss Nymphenburg is within the city environs itself and easily reached by public transport (tram).

Frankly, I would consider renting a car if you wanted to do several of the castles in the Fuessen area although it can be done from Munich by train and then either public bus or a taxi.

The palace at Herrenchiemsee is the largest of all of them and IMO the most beautifully decorated inside. Very much Ludwig's tribute to and imitation of Versailles, although on a smaller scale.

It can be reached by rail to Prien (on the line toward Salzburg) where you either walk the short distance to the steamer dock at nearby Stock (or in season you can take the narrow ga. railway). The boat over to the island takes about 20 minutes one way.

Within Munich itself the Residenze along with the Treasury is worth a visit..again for a lot of things "Ludwig" to include the carved wooden carriage collection which is something to see in and of itself.
Aug 25th, 2005, 07:51 AM
sockboy

Thank you very much, your comments have all been very helpful. I think I may plan for a trip to Hohenscchwangau and Neuschwansttein as a day trip on the last day. That way if we decide we would rather have the extra time in Munich, it will be easy to skip that outing, and just stay put for the day.

The area really seems to have so much to offer.

Aug 25th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Schloss Nymphenburg is a good choice for a city sightseeing tip....

Search this Thread