Help with Munich Itinerary

Mar 5th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Help with Munich Itinerary

My husband and I are traveling to Germany the last week of March. This is our first trip abroad. We are so excited and want to see everything (which we know is not possible). Following is an itinerary we are considering - Looking for advice from seasoned travelers on whether this is too ambitious. We will be staying in Munich for six nights.

Three days - Munich
One Day - Salzburg, Austria
One Day - Romantic road to Rothenberg
One day - Ludwig's Castles

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Mar 5th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Shouldn't be a problem, although you might base yourselves outside Munich to avoid the drive in and out on the last 3 days. By train, this isn't an issue, but it may take you a little longer to get to Rothenburg than by car; probably about the same either way to Füssen and to Salzburg.
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:03 PM

I think you can get to Neuschwanstein much faster by car than by train and bus. There is no direct connection to the castle. The day we went, we rented a car and headed out.

I doubt if you will be able to see Herrenchiemsee and Neuschwanstein/Linderhof on the same day because they are on opposite sides of Munich.

One day is cutting it thin in Salzburg.
I think 2 days there are better, but you obviously don't have time for it.

I don't know what you plan on seeing in Munich, but if you are art fans, there are some interesting art museums in Munich. And the German Museum of science and industry is unique, but it tapers off in the 1990;s. The new stuff is in a different museum in a different city.

If you go to Nymphenburg, I think you will enjoy it. I liked the Residenz better however.

Mar 6th, 2003, 12:23 AM

Sounds great! My only comment is do you need to go back to Munich each night?
What about first 3 nights in Munich, then to Rothenburg, then Fussen, then Salzburg and back to Munich?

While in Munich, you should have time to visit both the Residenz and Nymphenburg. The grounds of Nymphenburg are lovely and the Coach Museum there well worth a visit. You can get there easily by tram.

Wander along the Isar, see the 14th century town gates, and have a beer and bratwurst at one of the many beer halls. The Asam Kirche is also worth a visit - small but extraordinarily ornate.

Have a great trip!
Janine
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:04 AM

Bob is wrong about geography of castles - both Herrenchiemsee and Neuschwanstein are south of Munich, but I would still say it is overkill to do both on same day. Salzburg and castles are easy day trips but both places are nice to stay - but I think it depends on your view of packing and unpacking, returning to Munich cuts that drag out. If you choose to hire a car, then perhaps stay in south of Munich - check out Tutzing especially - very pleasant town at end of Ubahn (45 minutes) with alternative of 20 minute fast trains into Munich. Location is south so cuts out any city driving when going to Salzburg and Füssen. A number of small pensions including a couple right on Starnbergersee (lake).
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:53 AM

Lilbabs,

hopefully, this great Bavarian weather will continue to hold up for you (very sunny and cool/mild the past few weeks)!

If you plan to visit the castles, Nymphenburg Schloß, and any other Bavarian Gov't owned castles/palaces, then I'd recommend you purchase an annual family pass (Apprx 45 Euro). It is valid for unlimited free admissions for two adults and three children to all such owned castles.

My wife and I purchased this last March, and we got much more than our money's worth. We bought ours at the Nymphenburg Palace. Note, though, that you might not get free admittance to Hohenschwangau castle, since it is not state-owned (we did get in free, once, however).

Nymphenburg is a pretty place, but is not on my "top list" of sites. I think that the Residence in the city center and the castles are much nicer. Though, I believe there will be a great Butterfly exhibit in the botanical gardens of Nymphenburg Palace through the end of March. We went to this last year and it's really great. You enter this rather large, climate-controlled (humid) greenhouse, with hundreds of butterflies everywhere! We took a lot of fabulous pics.

Also, a few km north of Munich center are three old palaces near the Oberschleisheim S-Bahn station, located in a north-south orientation. The middle of these two is amazing (the other two are not worth the visit, IMO). In fact, I think the middle one (the name slips my mind) is much better than Nymphenburg. I don't think many tourists know about it, so I was very surprised when we stumbled upon it (also free with the annual family card).
I read about these palaces in a Lonely Planet guide.

If weather permits, I recommend a stroll through the Englisher Garten. The best beer garden in the garden is, by far, the "See Haus." To get there, exit the U-3/6 at Münchner Freiheit and head east towards the garden. Look for the lake and circle around it. You cannot miss it.

Top art museums are the 3 pinakothek's, all within one block of each other: alte, neu and moderne. For art, I most prefer the neu. The moderne just opened a few months ago, and is expansive. I don't enjoy modern art, however, but those who do really enjoy this museum.

Deutches Museum is great if you love science. On your itinerary I think it's worth about two hours tops, checking out the airplane and car exhibits.

I won't elaborate upon the rest of the Munich sites you could see in the city center in such a short time, since they
re pretty self-explanatory.

Salzburg must-sees will be:

1)Mirabelle Gardens
2)Main shopping street (old town)
3) Cathedral
4) Fortress for excellent views

(You're gonna want to spend more than a day here...trust me;-) )

Rothenburg:
1) buy that smaller, paper-bound tour book once you arrive (everybody sells it for 4 Euro), and follow the sites on the tour.
2) walk the ramparts (old wall)
3) MUST take the nightwatchman's tour. It's the best thing Rothenburg has to offer (approx. 8:30 pm)

Castles: one day will not likely be enough to hit Neuschwanstein/HohenSchwangau, as well as Linderhof.

I highly recommend LInderhof--even moreso thatn Chiemsee. Chiemsee tour is not as good and the castle is much more time consuming to get to (it's on an island in lake Chiemsee). DOn't get me wrong, it's still great.

Wow, I've written a ton...I gotta get back to work!
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:23 AM

The weather has definitely been great...I do hope it holds out for you. I was in Munich a few days ago, and no jacket was necessary for me!

My two cents...

Nymphenburg was fun, but I agree it´s not a must see. I have no idea what the grounds will look like now, but when I when in late January, it was very stark and the fountain drained. What´s really fun about Nymphenburg is Ludwig´s "Gallery of Beauties"...a room with 30 some-odd paintings of women who were considered beautiful at the time. Even common women are represented.

Salzburg...the fortress does have great views, but skip the tour of the inside of the castle. Not worth it, in my opinion. You can pay to walk the grounds. There are also lots of places in Salzburg to drink the views.

Also, try to make it to the Augustiner. They´ve been serving brews since the 1600s.

If you decide to spend more than a day in Salzburg, try to do the Salt Mines. You can do it yourself by catching a train to Hallein. Cost for everything from Salzburg is 17 euro. You get to go down a big slide...to me, that´s enough said. (Plus a few locals I met said the Salt Mine tour is far more fun than the Sound of Music tour, unless you are a die hard fan.)

Have a great time.
Mar 6th, 2003, 04:04 AM

I agree that there's no reason to stay all 6 days in Munich. I'd also skip Rothenburg this trip--it's in the opposite direction of everything else you want to see. I'd spend three nights in Munich, then pick someplace in southern Bavaria or northern Austria as a base to see Linderhof, Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau, Salzburg, and whatever else interests you.

We visited Linderhof and Hohenschwangau on the same day with no problem, but adding Neuschwanstein on the same day would have been too much.

In June, Nymphenburg and its grounds (plus the botanical garden next door) were well worth a visit, but I'm not sure what it would be like in March.
Mar 6th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your responses - Our plans were to stay in Munich for 6 nights but we might change those arrangements.

One more question - any suggestions on traveling in the Alps - someone mentioned the cog railroad.
Mar 6th, 2003, 07:09 AM
LED

Hi!

I lived in Munich for a year and agree that in March Nymphenberg is probably not worth your time. May I suggest an alternative to Rothenberg that would allow you to stay in Munich perhaps four days and give you two in Salzburg-- skip Rothenberg and head to Regensberg just outside Munich. It's on the Danube and was untouched by the war (if memory serves...) It would be a very easy day trip and would allow for more time in Salzburg. IMHO, Rothenberg is way overrated...

Search this Thread