Search

Munich Day Trip - Please Help Decide!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Day Trip - Please Help Decide!!

We are leaving in 10 days for Munich!!

We have (excluding travel days) 5 days total. Plan on spending one day doing the castles (Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau) and hiking around that area. We are trying to decide what other day trip we should do. We are late 20s, very active, and prefer outdoors activities rather than museums, etc .

We are considering the following: Oberammergau, Garmisch / Partenkirchen, Berchtesgarden, Salzburg.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these or pro/cons for each?
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:24 AM

we like the area around bertesgaden...you are also very close to salzburg...i would not make them day trips but i would go either near the castles or to bertes. and stay in a b/b overnite and visit that whole southern area in a 2 day sweep (you would need a car to do it easily)...its a lovely area...don't miss the salt mines in bertes......otherwise you spend lots of time just getting down there---i think al least 2 hours each way from munich to either place....
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:34 AM

When in between Garmich and Oberammergau, visit the Ettal monestary. Worth an hour or so stop.

Also, there is a church out in the middle of nowhere that is worth seeing. Can't remember the name off hand, maybe someone on the board can help.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 10:48 AM

"Also, there is a church out in the middle of nowhere that is worth seeing. Can't remember the name off hand, maybe someone on the board can help."

It's the Weiss Kirche in Steingarden. Don't miss. It's even more impressive than the monestary at Ettal.

If you don't do Dachau, you will be missing a lot. It's probably a much more important 1/2 day trip than any you have mentioned.

There are lots of things to do in Munich itself. You don't have to go trapsing over the entire Bavarian area to have a good time and see tons of interesting things.

C
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I loved Salzburg. However you need about two days there. If you are into history don't miss dachau. Very interesting
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

We are planning on Dachau for one of our days in Munich. We will have three full days in Munich, one day for the castles, and we are considering one for another day trip. We may end up not doing the second day trip, I am just trying to get a feel for our options if we decide we want to get out of town again.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Wieskirche in Wies, near Steingaden. Well worth a stop.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:35 PM

In addition to what you've already mentioned, you might want to consider a trip to Konigsee. To me, it's one of the most spectacular sights you'll ever see, provided you enjoy nature's scenery. Not too far away also is Herrenchiemsee, the castle on an island in the middle of a lake--quite lovely.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy it. There is a lot to see and do in Bavaria. Good luck.