Search

Munich + surrounding area itinerary questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich + surrounding area itinerary questions

Hi everyone,
I will be going to Munich for one week (October 17-24) to see my bf. I'll be living in his house. He isn't German, so he isn't too familiar with the area outside of Munich. I've been to Munich 3 times already, so this time I would like to focus on small villages/towns outside of Munich. I'll arrive on the 17th at noon, and I've already booked off 19th-21st to be in Salzburg (we are going by train). Therefore, I've 3 full days remaining: 18th, 22nd, 23rd. (My flight leaves in the afternoon on the 24th).

With my 3 full days, I was thinking of using one full day to see Munich again, and use the other 2 full days for the following:

-use one full day to visit fussen/Neuschanstein, reutte, linderhof, oberammgerau, ettal (is this too ambitious?) i'll leave munich in the morning and hopefully make it to all these destinations in one day. He has a car so he will drive me around

-use another full day to visit Nurnberg. I read many good comments about Rothenberg too, are BOTH towns doable in one day from Munich?

Some questions:
1. In case there is time, we may go to Herren Chiemsee. When i looked on google map, i couldn't find an exact town with the name. Is this the name of the general area? or is there a specific good tourist spot to be in near the lake?

2. Due to time constraints, I would appreciate anyone giving me advice on good stopovers that are on the way between my destinations

3. Which area near Munich do you find is more 'tourist' worthy? Another possibility I was considering is to spend 2 days in the Fussen area instead of going to Nurnberg. Is Nurnberg worth giving up for another day in Fussen area?

4. When I am in Salzburg, how hard is it to go see the Berchtesgaden area by myself? Should I sign up for tours or can I manage on my own?

5. If I had to choose between Herrenchiemsee and Nurnberg, which one is better? (note that I will be going to Neuschwanstein for sure, so if I go to Herrenchiemsee I want to make sure that it is very different than Neusch to be worth visiting. I wouldn't want there to be a big overlap).

These are all the questions I can think of for now. Thanks in advance to everyone for your input and suggestions!

Thanks,
roundbunny

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM

The "Fussen/Neuschanstein, Reutte, Linderhof, Oberammgerau, and Ettal" day sounds too ambitious. I won't suggest which destinations to omit because only you can make those painful choices.

On the other hand, you probably could do a quick pass through Rothenburg and Nurnberg in the same day if you are traveling by car. Another, slightly easier, possibility, would be a dual-city daytrip to Bamberg and Nurnberg. Note that Bamberg is a little farther from Munich than Nurnberg.

I wouldn't spend two days in the Fussen area, unless you want to include visits to Reutte, Fern Pass, etc. The area in the immediate vicinity of the castles can be explored in the better part of a day.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!
On google map, Rothenburg seems really far from Nurnberg (more than 1 hour!) which of the two towns do you think deserves more of my time?

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM

I'm wondering if your bf is your boy friend? Well, he won't be one anymore if you try to follow your deathmarch itinerary. If I had a bf in Munich, I'd pack a great picnic, a bottle of sekt and head to Linderhof, then drive leisurely back to Munich. Hopefully you will go back to Munich in the future, since you will still have your boyfriend. Really, I don't mean to sound so sarcastic but travel and bf's are to be savored. You won't enjoy either and you won't have any memories from Germany if you sprint around. Also, keep in mind there is a lot of traffic on the Autobahns in these areas. It will be a blur.

About Chiemsee, it's another whole romantic day from Munich. Or better yet, stay overnight in Prien.

These sites will always be there, your boyfriend may not be. Just enjoy as you go and don't have a schedule, just set some goals of places you hope to visit. Viel Gluck!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM

I am assuming your bf has a car. Spend your two days going on the route to Ettal, Linderhoff, Oberammergau, Wiesekirche then spend the night around Fussen. Get up in the morning and see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau then head back to Munich that evening.

I don't know if anyone answered your question. Herren Chiemsee is on Chiemsee lake. I think the name of the town is Prien. It is on the autobahn to Salzburg. Even if you are training to Salzburg I think you can get off there and see the palace. It is Ludwig's copy of Versaille (did I spell that right?).
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM

>did I spell that right?
No, but don't worry, we're all used to you spelling.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
ira

HI R,

>use one full day to visit fussen/Neuschanstein, reutte, linderhof, oberammgerau, ettal...

It is a very full day, but doable.

I think that I would skip Reutte and use the time for Linderhof.

From Neuchwanstein take the B17 toward Reutte. This puts you on the B179 going South.

Take the "Reutte Sud" exit. This puts you on the Krecklemoosstrass (love the name) to Germany, where it becomes ST 2060, with signs pointing to Linderhof. This is a very pretty road, especially the part that runs along the Plansee.

From Oberammergau, I suggest visiting the Wieskirch. Take the B23 North about 15 km to the ST 2059 just North of Lettigenbichl, go left (W) toward Schwaig. Continue on the ST 2059 to the ST 2559 turnoff for Wies. Go left to visit the Wies Kirch.

From Wies, you can take the B17 North to the A96 and return to Munich.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM

Herrenchiemsee is in Prien am Chiemsee, which is about 40 minutes south of Munich by train (on the Munich-Salzburg line). I visit here a couple times every year and believe you will really like it. The train station is in town and about a 15 minute walk to the lake.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Marilies, i will take your advice and not pack in too many destinations

Ira, thanks for the road instructions. I will show them to my bf.

Thanks again to everyone for your help