Fussen/Oberramergau/Ettal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done some searches on this board and their are many great tips/opinions on Bavarian travels.

We are traveling late April and we were originally scheduled to stay in Munich for two nights. Now we have been informed, as I have seen mentioned here about the construction convention. They want to place us in Ettal and I am wondering if Fussen or Ob. might not be better places to actually spend the night. I have overnighted in Obberramergau before, but never been to Fussen or Ettal. I will be traveling with a high school group (about 50/50 adults/students).

Our Itinerary is pretty busy: arriving at Ettal from Rothenburg with a stop in Dinkelsbuhl. The next morning Nymphenburg Palace and afternoon at Dachau before returning to Ettal for last night. I am not sure if there is much time to see anything in our overnight town, but if so I am wondering if Fussen or Ob. might not be better.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM

You are right that with that itinerary, there wont be much time to see Ettal, Fussen, or Oberamergau. I would see if they can arrange to have you all stay closer to Munich rather than all the way up in the alps since the schedule is so tight.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Not sure of your reference to convention but Augsburg would be closer to Rothenburg and the Dachau stop than Ettal which is charming but in my opinoin a strange choice as an alternate for Munich unless the same issues would apply to Augsburg which is about 40 mi from Munich. It is a larger city and has more hotels than Ettal I believe.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I failed to mention that after the two-night stay we will be going to Neuschwanstein and heading to Innsbruck. That is part of the reason I thought we could stay in the area suggested, but just not in Ettal. I will have to consider Augsburg, however.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM

As an alternative to Augsburg, look into Landsberg am Lech. It's closer to Fuessen, and quite charming.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi sg,

>...arriving at XXX from Rothenburg with a stop in Dinkelsbuhl. The next morning Nymphenburg Palace and afternoon at Dachau...going to Neuschwanstein and heading to Innsbruck.

Look up Landsberg am lech at www.viamichelin.com and the towns along the Ammersee.