Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Linderhof a good day trip from Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting to plan our itinerary and wanted to know if Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee could be toured as day trips from Munich or if it would be better to stay overnight somewhere close to this area. Would it be better to stay somewhere closer to these sites or our next destination - Garmisch (not sure though)?

Thanks so much for your help, I imagine I'll have a lot more questions for you later
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM

Certainly they can, but Herrenchiemsee is rather easier to reach from Munich. For Linderhof there is a somewhat infrequent bus from Garmisch I think. But all the transportation in southern Bavaria is centered on Munich, so if you want to go to Herrenchiemsee from Garmisch you would have to go through Munich. Unless you have a car, which means you have to go via autobahn around Munich as well, or small slow backroads along the foothills of the Alps (not much faster)
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:01 AM

Both would be a good day trip from Munich, but not the two combined. I noticed that you did not mention the two castles near Fussen (don't want to spell them).

Are you planning on using public transportation or driving? Using the trains and busses are possible, but frustrating (especially Linderhof).

Garmisch is charming in its own right and worth a visit. It also makes a good base to explore the castles.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Dutch - you caught me with the spelling! I've never been a good speller and these names are so daunting We plan on using Garmisch as a base for touring the other 2 castles and going to Zugspitze. We also plan on renting a car to get to Garmisch - so on our last day in Munich we could rent the car, visit Linderhoff and Herenchiemsee and then go back to Munich and then the next day head out to Garmisch.

Option 2 would be to go straight to Garmisch after arriving in Munich and then visit Munich at the end of our trip.

I know we want to visit Munich and Garmisch, but not sure what else. I thought I had a good plan to go Garmisch - Salzburg - Munich, but then I went and got a guidebook and am all confused. Everything I read I want to see. Now I'm thinking Munich - Garmisch - Rothenburg - Heidelburg and fly out of Frankfurt. I'm using FF miles so I don't know if I can get an open jaw tix with those. Do you know? It is very overwhelming, but a good problem to have
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM

The last two times I used FF to Germany I was able to book open-jaw tickets. One flew into Munich and out of Frankfurt. Stayed in G-P the first few nights. Then to Munich, Bamberg, Rothenburg, and flew out of Frankfurt. Rented a car to and from G-P and then used a train the rest of the way. It was very enjoyable trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:44 AM

Linderhof is an easy day trip from Munich - train to Oberammergau and then take frequent buses the several miles from there to Linderhof - stop as well in Oberammergau and admire the Luftw??? (sp? not) paintings on the walls of houses - very famous town and not only for once a decade Passion Play. From Garmisch just take a train or bus to Oberammergau and change to Linderhof buses there.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 09:28 AM

I think that is better to visit Linderhof from Garmish.
When we visited Bavaria, we were to Herrenchiemsee from Munchen, in our way to Salzzburg. Then, we went to Fussen, from where we visited all three castels of Ludwig (includnig Linderhof) and Zugspitze. In the same day when we weere to Linderhof, we visited in the afternoon Oberamergau.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hello,
Herrencheimsee is definetly a day trip from Munich. As far as Linderhof, I have spent the night in Garmich and then driven to Neuschwanstein (and Hohenschwangau) and then onto Linderhof, then back to Garmish. You can certainly do Linderhof from Garmish more easily than from Munich.

Donna
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:25 PM

We have just returned from a trip to Germany and visited both Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee from Munich.

For Linderhof we used a Bayern Ticket, 25 euros for up to 5 persons (good on the buses as well). We took a Mittenwald train at about 9.42 am, changed at Murnau for Oberammergau. The track is 1a and is at the side of the station in Murnau. In Oberammergau there was a bus at the station and the driver knew that all of us from the train wanted to go to Linderhof. He dropped us in Ettal to take another bus to the castle. Even if it may not sound so, it was easy to do all these changes. There are many people going to the castle and you can just follow them.

At Herrenchiemsee we went on a Saturday, very, very crowded. The trip was just over an hour, stopped at Prien am Chiemsee, went to the opposite side of the station (across the tracks) and took the little green train "Chiemsee Bahn" to the Prien Docks. From there it was a pleasant boat trip to the island of Herren, where the palace is.

An easy and enjoyable day trip.