Munich, Germany

Old Aug 18th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich, Germany

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Germany and our base city will be Munich for 10 days. Looking for an itinerary to some small towns and day trips. Also trying to decide train vs car. Thank you for any suggestions and ideas.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM

A car would be really convenient but I doubt you'll be doing day trips out of Munich every day so I'm going to suggest trains.

You can easily do 3 days in Munich. Nuremberg is worth seeing.

When will you be going?
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Neuschwanstein is not far (72 mi), the Wieskirche is not far from Neuschwanstein. Linderhof and Kloster Ettal are also fairly close (about 60 miles).

Wieskirche and Kloster Ettal are beautiful baroque churches. Linderhof is another of Ludwig's palaces, this one over-the-top rococo. Oberammergau is also close by.

If you are interested in seeing a concentration camp, Dachau is close to Munich also.

I wouldn't want to have a car in Munich. I'd use the trains, which are frequent and convenient.

Have fun! This is one of my favorite parts of the world.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

We're leaving Sept. 8 getting to Munich on the 9th. Will fly out of Munich on the 18th to Dublin, Ireland.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. Want to see as much as we can. Also, are there any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels or Bed & Breakfasts to stay in Munich?
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM

If you still need more ideas for day trips nearby Munich (all easily accesible by train):

Freising (Cathedral, Brewery, Old Town)
Landshut (Old Town, Castle)
Burghausen (largest castle of Europe)
Wasserburg am Inn ("quaint" little town)
Wendelstein mountain (cable car directly at Osterhofen stop of the Munich-Bayrischzell line)
Augsburg (not a small town, but nice Old Town and Fuggerei)
Salzburg (also not exactly a small town, though)
Tegernsee (boat trip on lake)
and all the destinations mentioned already above.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:26 PM

I will second Landshut and Freising. Although Regensburg is not really a small town, you can take in the old town center in a day. Cathedral is quite remarkable and we liked the chapel at St Emmeram's,which is very near the train station. What I like best about the city is the center with many plazas connected by alleyways. There are even a few roman ruins in town. Regards, Gary
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM

I just noticed your dates. Although you will be there before Oktoberfest, it appears to me that the rooms are already becoming a bit rarer and pricier (hrs.com). If money matters (always does to me), you might rethink your base. Sorry. Gary
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM

bookmarking
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM

You could also reach the largest Ludwig build, the palace at Herrenchiemsee by rail and ferry.

I would add the Nymphenburg Palace in Munich itself; Dachau concentration camp; the Treasury (museum) in the city.

You would not need a car in Munich which has excellent public transportation and there are multi-day tickets available at a discount.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM

>Also trying to decide train vs car.<

Definitely train for Munich city itself, a car is a huge liability. If you are doing out and back trips (vs taking on a second base) train is likely the most efficient way as well.

>Also, are there any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels or Bed & Breakfasts to stay in Munich?<

Depends on what you mean by "reasonably priced". We love the Hotel Ritzi, sort of an undiscovered gem in a nice location.

Munich is our most favorite city in the world, this Oct will be our 28th or 29th trip there (lost count). Even though the lodging pricing can be a bit dear with such short notice it is well worth it. I have a 30 page write up of travel tips (including lots of info on using the train system) based on our many visits there. Happy to send you a copy but need your email address to do so. Do not post your address on any public forums, but either send me a private message via this forum or pop over to TripAdvisor and find me as KimSanJose. Easy to send PM that way.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:53 PM

We just returned from Munich (and Prague). We loved Munich as it was so clean and everyone spoke English. For day trips we went to Salzburg and Dacau. English Garden, in Munich, easily deserves a full day as it feels like the country.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:10 PM

We enjoyed the reasonably priced, centrally located Motel One Sendlinger Tor in Munich. We visited the Residenz, Hofbrauhaus,Dachau, Viktulienmarkt, Stadt Museum, and many historic churches. It's a lovely city.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

I may have misled everyone. We are flying into Munich and plan to say there a couple of days. Then we'd like to stay over in some other cities, not necessarily all large ones! We're looking for specific areas in stay over and we have a total of 10 days before we fly back out of Munich!
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 07:12 PM

<our base city will be Munich for 10 days>

That is why you got the responses you did.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM

In that case, rent a car.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 10:28 PM

Hi PatTyler,

Have you decided which other towns you want to visit? I'd recommend Garmisch-Partenkirchen as one option -- it's a nice little town with two pedestrian streets and lots of shops and cafes to explore. Also, you can see quite a lot from Garmisch -- get to Mittenwald, Ettal, Oberammergau, Linderhof in about 30 minutes, or to Füssen in about 2h.

Garmisch is about 90 minutes from München by train.

You truly don't need a car if you base in Garmisch.

s
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 08:58 AM

My first vote is for Salzburg (easy access from Munich by train). A great day trip. A nice car loop is to go to Garmish, Mittenwald, Oberammergau, Fussen. Rothenburg is a charming gem. Dachau is well worth a half a day and is available by Munich's public transportation. In Munich pick up some picnic fixins at the Viktualien Markt and then enjoy some time in the Englisher Garten. The beer garden allow yiu to bring your own food if you buy a beer. They also have food. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 10:21 AM

We love road trips in Germany - and for some of the places you will want to go car is more convenient. I would first spend whatever time you want in Munich to see the city sights and then rent a car that will allow you to tour a bunch of different neighboring areas. Having a car will allow you to see more in less time - not waiting for trains - and also stop along the way when you see something cute (town, scenery, abbey etc) that grabs your attention.

Just make sure your hotel has a garage of parking and easy access to a rod out of the city.
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM

In Munich, the Hotel Uhland is charming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information