Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Millennium Bailey's or Myhotel Chelsea in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked a double, king bedded room, at the Millennium Bailey's for 72 British Pounds, excluding bkfast and taxes. However, I found lately that Myhotel Chelsea has available twin rooms for my dates, and can be booked through Hotelclub.net ( pre-paid reservations) at the nightly rate of 120 British Pounds, including bkfast and taxes.

Which one would you choose?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:58 AM

I am not familiar with Myhotel Chelsea but we stayed in Bailey's back in Dec 2002. We thought it was an excellent value - rooms were not plush but very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and the breakfasts excellent. The lobby and other public areas are nice with a Victorian atmosphere. The best part is the location. It is just a few steps from the Glocester Road underground station which has three lines running through it including the Picadilly which means easy access to and from Heathrow. The station is connected to a small shopping center that includes a grocery store and a pharmacy. There are a number of good restaurants in the area as well as fast food places. You can walk to the South Kensington museums from there as well. Overall, a great location and excellent value. I would, however, request a room facing the inner courtyard. I would imagine that an outer room facing Gloucester Road could be somewhat noisy. We had an inner room and never heard a sound.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

BoulderCO, thanks for your informative response. I've stayed in South Ken before, at Queens Gate, and used the Gloucester tube station a lot, hence I know the area well.

however, I've been worrying about the Bailey's, since I've heard that the rooms are a little worn out, and the standard rooms are very small.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM

I stayed at the Millennium in the summer of 2003 and liked it very much. I don't know where you heard your information, but it wasn't true by my experience. I had a standard room and it wasn't small at all, nothing like really small European hotel rooms I've had elsewhere. Perhaps your standards are different, or they have a variety of sizes within that category (mine was probably around 180-200 square feet, maybe around a 12x15 room). My room wasn't at all shabby or worn out, either.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christina.

In fact, I read about the Bailey's rooms on Tripadvisor. Some claim them to be a little worn, some claim about their small size.

I've stayed at the Millennium Knightsbridge, and the standard, although fine for me as a single, would have been too small for a double use, as will be the case now. as my daughter will be staying with me.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:48 PM

I would say our room was about an average size by European standards. Not huge but enough room for a king size bed, places to park your luggage, and still enough room to walk around without banging in to anything. As far as the rooms being worn, I would say ours may have been slightly worn. I can't say it couldn't use a facelift but it wasn't bad. Everything is relative - the price, location, and everything else is good so we didn't really care if there was a little wear and tear. It's not like things were broken or the room dirty.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM

I have not stayed at either one (usually rent a flat when visiting London) - but of the two I would slightly prefer the location of MyHotel Chelsea. I have rented in Chelsea Cloisters a couple of times and it is just around the corner from MyHotel. The neighborhodd has lots of great restaurants and shops, a Conran store, Chanel and is walking distance from Harrods. It is about a five minute walk from S. Kens. tube. The Millenium is also in a decent location and is near the Gloucester Rd station.

By the time you add tax and b'fast the rates are not really that much different. If the savings is important to you, the M. Bailey's is fine, but if you can afford the difference, I'd probably choose the MyHotel because of the location and because it is newer.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:30 PM

I agree with Janis. I'd prefer Myhotel Chelsea but not sure how important the bed configuration is to you or what kind of breakfast is included. Tax will add ~ 15GBPs/night to the Millenium room.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM

We stayed at the Bailey's this October, and they offered us an upgrade to their executive room plus breakfast for £35 per night. The breakfast was £15 per person so we took it, but we did wish we had asked to see a standard room first just to see the difference. Our room had a queen-size bed, a loveseat, and two chairs in addition to the regular stuff. The bathroom was quite large. We like the S. Kens. area but have not stayed near the Myhotel, so I can't compare it for you. We did like the M. Bailey's, and our room was not shabby.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all that responded.

The rates are equivalent, I guess, since the Bailey's rate, although lower, doesn't include bkfast or the 17,7 % VAT, while Myhotel's rate does include both.

I llike Chelsea, as I like S. Kensington, but I guess Chelsea is slightly more interesting. However, the the Bailey's proximity to the tube station is a big plus. We'll be in London from Decemeber, 27 to 30, and it will be probably raining, and surely cold.

Has anyone stayed at Myhotel Chelsea?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry for the typos!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM

I would choose Bailey's simply because it has become my habitual London hotel. Prepaying hotels places your money at risk in case of cancelation. I am of the opinion that most hotel breakfasts are overpriced. There are better alternatives for this meal. The rooms at Bailey's are not spectacular, at least the three that I have stayed in, but they do the job and have no major problems (by my standards). 72 pounds is a good price for Bailey's. Having never stayed at Myhotel Chelsea I can't compare the two.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gavin.

Pre-paying wouldn't be such a serious issue at this time, since we're leaving in three weeks. However, I still think that, even if the rooms at the Bailey's don't sparkle, and aren't as modern as it seems to be the case of Myhotel, its proximity to the tube station is still a great bonus. The Bailey's looks indeed a more solid and safe choice at the moment.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM

We stayed at Bailey's in May of 2003, and were very satisfied. I got the room on Priceline for $80 US , taxes included. We loved the location, and would certainly stay there again.