milennium baileys kensington- info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometime ago I recall someone commenting on this hotel-I would appreciate any info you have about it-how would it compare to US hotels? Many thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Stayed at Bailey's last December. Excellent location in nice neighborhood and only about 50 yards from the Gloucester Road underground station. The Picadilly, Circle, and District lines all run through it making it very convenient to get around. As far as the hotel itself it is not a luxury hotel but we found it to be comfortable. It is an old hotel and has the advantages and disadvantages that go with it. It has a fair amount of charm and style to it - certainly much more that the average U.S hotel but it also has very old plumbing. Bathroom was very small and the sink had separate hot and cold faucets which drove me crazy. Only way to get water that was not ice cold or scalding hot was to put the stopper in and run both faucets to fill up the sink. Other than that the room was comfortable and clean, public areas were nice, breakfast was very good, and service was excellent. I would recommend requesting a room facing the inner courtyard as the road noise could be bad in some rooms. I would have no problem staying there again as their prices are very reasonable. I have stayed in other hotels in London that were not any nicer and cost considerably more. If you are looking for a hotel more like a U.S. hotel, the Millenium Gloucester right next door would fit the bill. It may be slightly more expensive.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:32 AM

We've stayed there twice, and would like to again. (Sometimes you find a good price on londontown.com).

The rooms are comfortable but not fancy -- it's a Victorian building, so rooms are not all the same size or layout. No cookie cutters here! Good bathroom with a tub and shower; supplies to make tea or coffee in the room. Staff are pleasant and helpful. There's a nice bar for a nightcap. But the best thing is location -- so convenient to Gloucester Rd tube, bus to Kensington, walk to V&A and Albert Hall. It's a real neighborhood with shops and pubs, not a tourist location.

Since our rate didn't include breakfast, we would either get an okay "full monty" at the diner across the street (recommended by concierge) or go to Waitrose for supplies (croisaants, fresh raspberries, fabulous yoghurt) and picnic. There are also cafes and coffee shops -- nearest Pret a Manger is at Ken High St station.

Hard to compare to a chain type US hotel. Try it, I think you'll like it!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I stayed there a week or so last August with a special rate I got on Londontown (about 100-120 pounds for a double). I thought it was great. I really liked the location, good transportation, places to eat nearby, etc. I had a quite large room (larger than most in Paris, for example) and the bathroom was really big. I had no plumbing problems. I liked having a bar in the hotel, good place to relax and the staff was very friendly and efficient.

I don't know how to compare to US hotels as there is such a wide variety of US hotels, just like there are English hotels. What exactly do you want to know in that regard. There are even Millennium hotels in the US.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM

We stayed at the attached newer property, Millenium Gloucester, last summer, and found it very comparable to a U.S. hotel---nice rooms, large lobby with attractive bar. Generally well-heeled travellers, upmarket U.S. tours and business people (into which group I fell). The air conditioning was not quite as efficient as we might have liked, but it was fine.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, but otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, as there was much better food in the area. Proximity to the Gloucester tube station absolutely great (and there's a Waitrose grocery and a Boots pharmacy right there), and nice neighborhood.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanx for the info!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Also check out The Cranley - it's just 2 blocks from the Bailey (and Gloucester) hotels, and FAR, FAR, nicer. It's a fabulous 4-star boutique hotel. Their website is here:

http://www.thecranley.com/

We found our special rate there through London Nights, and I checked again and they still have a special offer, 100 pounds for a double ensuite, including breakfast and VAT.

http://www.londonnights.com/london-hotels-cranley.htm

This is the same deal that we received, and it is a GREAT deal. Incredible price for London, and a wonderful, wonderful hotel.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:07 PM

I stayed at Bailey's 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. We got our deal on Priceline.com-- $80 USD
per night. We loved the location, and felt we got an excellent value. I got it by bidding for a 4 star in the Kensington area. The lowest price I found on their website or on Londontown.com was $120.