Help with hotels!

Search

Help with hotels!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with hotels!

This is our family's first trip to London, and we're traveling with our experienced-traveler grandparents. They usually stay at the Montcalm, but it's a bit too pricey for two rooms for our family (2 adults, 2 teens).<BR>We're now looking at the Claverley, the Cranley, the Academy, and maybe the Rubens (if they reply to my inquiry).<BR>Will the Harrod's area hotels be too awkward for us to be seeing the tourist sights of downtown? I haven't heard amazing comments about the Claverly, but they do serve a breakfast in a dining room and the Cranley doesn't.<BR>Any thoughts from the experienced travelers out there would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I stayed at the Cranley in November. When I arrived at 6:30 am my room was not ready, so they brought me complimentary tea and pastries which was very nice since I was not supposed to check in until the afternoon. I got my room on Laterooms.com paying 120&pound; for the executive twin (2 beds). All the rooms seem nice. I stayed on the first floor. The hotel has champagne and great hor dourves at 7 and they really like to partake. I missed their afternoon tea each day. I had a little problem with the bill but they were very gracious fixing it. It is like a B&amp;B but a hotel. The bathroom was particularly nice. The location was a quick walk from the tube. <BR><BR>Harrods is a much more crowded neighborhood so it depends what you like.<BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Hi<BR>Regarding the Claverley. I stayed there one year ago.<BR>It's quirky, but might be a good choice.<BR>It's a townhouse turned into a hotel.<BR>There is an elevator, but occasionally you still have to walk up or down a step or two to get to your room.<BR><BR>Rooms vary in size. My single room was pretty small, but comfortable and it had plenty of hanging space for clothes, though no drawer space. Bathroom a little old fashioned, but everything worked the way it's supposed to, plenty of hot water. Towels a little threadbare, but decor of room was pleasant enough though in need of updating. <BR><BR>Staff young, casual, but pleasant. They got taxis for me when I needed them. Laundry and drycleaning service available, but &quot;next day&quot; was actually the day after that.<BR><BR>An excellent buffet breakfast is included (everything from cooked eggs and bac. to fresh fruit and pastries) but the coffee was vile. Good juices though.<BR><BR>I thought the location worked well for me. It's about 3 blocks to Harrods.<BR>The Knightsbridge tube stop has one outlet right next to Harrods, but that one isn't open when Harrods isn't open.<BR>The rest of the time it's another couple of blocks to the main entrance of the K'bridge tube stop.<BR><BR>The Claverley is a little worn-looking in spots, not depressing, just a bit as if your English grandmother hadn't redecorated since 1972. I found the general feeling cozy and comfortable.<BR>Street is nice and quiet and attractive.<BR><BR>Right next door is the newly-renovated<BR>Knightsbridge hotel. I haven't seen it since it was redone, but a couple of magazine articles recently have said it's very nice. I believe it is considerably more expensive than the Claverley, but you could check. It is not the same hotel as the <BR>&quot;Knightsbridge Green&quot;.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:29 AM

We stayed at the Rubens last year and really liked it. We got a good rate thru www.londontown.com, but the hotel's own website also has specials (http://www.rubenshotel.com/index_flash.htm). I think you can even book online.<BR><BR>The hotel is within a couple of blocks of Victoria Station and the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace is across the street. You are also within close proximity of St. James Park and Green Park. Don't know how much walking your grandparents are up to, but we walked over to Westminster Abbey, Parliament, the London Eye, etc. from the hotel as well as many other sights.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Oh, I forgot. The Rubens has a great full English Breakfast Buffet (ours was included in our room rate).