Milan with jet lag

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Milan with jet lag

Spending 2 nights in Milan before training off to other Northern Italian sights. Our objective is to see the Last Supper and the Brera museum in one day and then El Duomo, Le Scala and shop on the Vittoria Emmanuelle the 2nd. After checking in to the Milan Hilton (central) late morning, probably sleepy, can we possibly enjoy our first day objective without falling on our faces?

Thanks in advance,

Marty
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 08:47 AM

"... can we possibly enjoy our first day objective without falling on our faces?"

It's hard for a stranger to know as there are so many variables. Where are you coming from? Are you normally able to sleep on the flight? Can you fly non-stop, or will you have a connection? Are you a high energy person? Young or old?

We're on the West Coast and can't always fly non-stop to a final European destination, so some of our travel days are verryy lonngg. Bonus, I rarely sleep much on planes. But when we land, we're usually excited to start sightseeing. I would leave the "thinking" activities (Last Supper, Brera) for the second day and spend the arrival afternoon just walking around doing mostly "looking" activities (Duomo, VE, La Scala). For me, the walking is essential (and you'll be doing a lot from the Hilton so have good walking shoes). I'm usually surprised with how much energy I have.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Marty, Everyone is different. I would never try to do all that on my first two days. I get horrible jet lag, so I make no plans other than wandering aimlessly, eating and sleeping when I feel the need, for the first few days.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Marty, Depending on time you get in, you'll be able to that easily ... and I'm an old man. Near the Duomo is Chiesa Santa Maria Preso di San Satiro. Don't miss it ... just about a block or two away. It's the second church highlighted here.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...time-religion/

Old Dec 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM

I'd be able to do that, but not everyone would -- too many variables. But I will say you're doing the classic run-your-azz-through-Milan tour and may end up like so many who don't like or appreciate it.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 04:23 PM

I'd go to the Duomo and La Scala the first day and visit the Last Supper and Brera Galleria the second day when I would likely be able to focus on paintings better. You would probably have time for the Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio too if you visited the Last Supper first thing in the morning.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, so much. We are in our seventies and as always, have so much to see with so little time, Going to the browsing part rather than the thinking part on day one makes a lot of sense. Thanks again,

Marty
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Assume you are aware of the LaScala tour schedule:

Guided Visits of the Theatre ? Museo Teatrale alla Scala

You might also want to visit the museum. The theatre/museum, Duomo, and the "galleria" are within a fairly easy walk of each other