Best area to stay in Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only previous thread I can find on this topic was back in 2002. As we hope to be in Milan next year I thought I should seek some more up-to-date information.

Present plans are to fly into Milan at the end of August and stay 3-4 days before heading back out to the airport to pick up a car and driving on to Stresa initially. So it seems to us to make sense to stay somewhere near either of the 2 stations that have train services from Malpensa Airport: Milano Centrale or Milano Cardorna. Or does it? - Maybe Milan's metro system is so good that it doesn't matter?

Basically we want a safe but interesting area, handy to (or handy to transport to) the shopping, the sights, the cafe and city life.... Any suggestions, anyone? Thanks...
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're also flying home from Milan, consider heading to Stresa immediately on arrival and putting your time in Milan at the end of the trip. The drive Malpensa-Stresa would be less than 90 minutes.

What sights are on your agenda in Milan? I'm a fan of Milan and could probably fill 3-4 days with interesting sights, but I have to say the average visitor would likely find 1-2 days there more than enough time.

If you keep your days in Milan at the beginning, I like the area near the Duomo and in the direction toward the Cadorna station. The Navigli area is nice too.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 08:36 PM

We took trains everywhere and stayed at Hotel Berna, around the corner from Milano Centrale but not "station neighborhood" feeling at all (there are several hotels on the street).

We found excellent connections on the metro to everywhere we wanted to go. We enjoyed a couple of days including tours of the Duomo, La Scala, Last Supper; enjoyed the Galleria viewing and also went over to the La Brera neighborhood to poke around.

I agree with the rec above to reduce doubling back to Malpensa if possible. (BTW there's a shuttle to Malpensa from Milano Centrale.)
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 09:06 PM

If you feel like following the previous suggestion and heading straight to Stresa on arrival in Malpensa, note that you can do it just as easily by train. No worry about getting the car and driving (jetlagged...). You'll get a car in Stresa once you have settle din and had a good night's sleep.

Go to www.trenitalia.com and switch to English and input Malpensa Aeroporto for departure and Stresa for destination, you'll see many connections, two hours and less, all with only one switch en route, either via Milano Centrale or via Busto Arsizio.

The trains from Milano Centrale will require a reserved seat (comes with ticket), the others are regionals and have no such requirements.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 10:01 PM

I have an apartment to recommend in Milan:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR..._Lombardy.html

I generally prefer apartments to hotels - you get better bang-for-buck, plus it's more civilized. You can control your food better, and it's fun to shop like a native. Jane's place (she is a English speaker) is the best I've found, and I've tried in London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Lyon. She takes it seriously and is very reliable, and the flat itself is excellent. The area is very good, near Corso Buenas Aires, just a few blocks from the #1 Metro line. Plenty of good restaurants around, and you can take the metro or a tram to the main sights. Both Centrale and Cordorna (better for Malpensa I think) are easy to get to and from.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:38 AM

Fastest way from MXP to Stresa (different solutions according to the arrival time at MXP and the bus/train timetables):
bus to Gallarate resp taxi to Gallarate or Somma Lombardo plus train from Gallarate or Somma to Stresa: about 1 hr.
There are also some direct buses from MXP to Arona - Stresa - Pallanza (must be prebooked).

May be it would be better to rent a car on arrival as a car would be useful for day trips from Stresa
along Lake Maggiore,
to the Sanctuaries of Madonna del Sasso d'Opaglio, Madonna de Sasso di Locarno, Re, Varallo and Santa Caterina del Sasso,
to Lake Orta or Lake Lugano,
into the mountain valleys (up to the glaciers)
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 04:18 AM

As someone above mentioned, we always stay at Hotel Berna On Via Napo Torriano, located about 400 meters from Milano Centrale. The property is 4 star and serves the best breakfast in Milano. We have stayed there many times over the years and probably will in the years to come.

You would have easy access to the metro and all of the trains.

Buon viaggio,
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM

@rbciao yes, isn't that breakfast incredible?
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We won't be returning via Milan. We are looking at a cruise that departs from Venice, so after a couple of weeks driving we will drop the car there. Hence the idea of a car-free few days in Milan, then heading back out to Malpensa for the car - rather than drive in the city. (I suppose we could drive out of Milan - we've done it out of Paris several times - but as Malpensa is on the way to Stresa anyway, a car from there would be less stressful).

We're still reseaching what to do/see in Milan,but the Duomo and the Last Supper would definitely be up there! Sounds like anywhere round either Cadorna or Centrale would be OK.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 05:08 PM

We stayed at the Lancaster Hotel in 2012 and we really liked it. It’s about 1.2 km (a 15 minute walk) from Cadorna.

http://www.hotellancaster.it/inglese/home.html

We took a limo to the hotel but here is some info on trains from Malpensa airport to Milan:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...Departing.html

Milan has a great tram system with a couple of stops about a block away from the hotel.

Line 1:

http://www.atm-mi.it/en/Giromilano/P...14&lst=1&lsi=0

and Line 27

http://www.atm-mi.it/en/Giromilano/P...7&lst=1&lsi=28

We had a great two days in Milan. Click on my name to see my trip report (scroll down to my Oct 6, 2012 entry for a more detailed description of our days in Milan). Here is a link to some pictures - the first 35 or so are from Milan.

https://john183italy2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM

Great recommendations. My husband and I are flying in to Milan MXP and staying at the Berna hotel, based on the recommendations here. We were thinking about renting a car and wondering the best location to pick up a rental car for two weeks? Our itinerary at the moment is 2 days in Milan, heading to Cinque Terre (wondering which town to stay in and where) for two nights, then going to Lucca to see Tuscany for 3 nights. Departing to go to Venice for 3 nights, then The lake region for 3 nights. Coming back for a night to Milan and heading out the next day.
We would love recommendations for accomodations, must see sights, shopping, restaurants, vineyards. Question on Cinque Terre..As of now we are looking at Vernazza and Corniglia and not sure if the climb up each night is the best choice. All suggestions are appreciated, Jackie
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 08:06 PM

At the end of August almost everything in Milan will be closed when it comes to shops and restaurants. You can fill up your time with museums and churches but otherwise everyone in the city will have vacated.

I think the Hotel Berna is a fine choice for people who need to be near the train station but it is not in an interesting or even particularly pleasant part of Milan. Staying round Cadorna would be better.

If you are thinking of driving around the lakes at the end of August you need to be aware of the possibility of lots of traffic jams.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Yes we took Hotel Berna because it was near the train station. Not sure I would with a car.

One thought it to get a car for trips outside of the city centers. Don't think you will want one while staying in Milan or indeed in Cinque Terre. If you decide to take one to CT I think Monterosso is one of the few places that might accommodate one -- villa steno is a nice place to stay in Monterosso.

In your shoes I would avoid a car except for touring the lakes or Tuscany.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JackieFaust, depending on what you hope to see in Tuscany, Lucca may not be the most geographically convenient base location. Lucca to Siena, for example, is close to 2 hours each direction, although parts of Chianti are within 90 minutes of Lucca.

If it were my trip, I'd put of all of the Milan nights at the end to eliminate one hotel change. And I'd probably change-up the itinerary and head to one of the lakes after landing at Malpensa. Malpensa to Varenna on Lake Como or Stresa on Lake Maggiore is about 2 hours. Then train to Venice. Pick up the rental car when leaving, drive to the Tuscany base town (which for me wouldn't be Lucca) and explore the area. Turn in the car and train to the CT. Then train to Milan and see it last.
Old Mar 26th, 2014, 04:52 PM

Thank you for all your replies. I find this so helpful. Our itinerary is set based on meeting up with friends in the locations on the dates. Based on your recommendations though, I don't think we'll get a car until we get to Tuscany. We only have 3 days there. We've been to Florence and have to be in Venice afterwards. Any recommendations on where to base out of to get the most of the Tuscany experience? Also, any recommendations for best places to stay in Cinque Terre if we plan to use the train? Your guidance is much appreciated. Many thanks,
Jackie
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Lots of people like Vernazza but a friend and I stayed at Villa Steno in Monterosso as mentioned above -- worth a look, anyway. We were there before the big flood so worth checking for more recent info.