Reload this Page >

Questions about Milan Malpensa airport and transport to the city

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Planning a quick trip to Italy in a few weeks. My final destination will be Montepulciano , but I'm flying into Milano and will take a couple of days to make my way to Montepulciano via train (and a stop in Bologna).

I haven't been in Malpensa airport in close to 30 years and have zero recollections of it. I'm flying United from Newark . Is the best way to get into the city center the Malpensa Express? Any suggestions how to go from the arrivals area to where the train departs?
I'll be staying at the NH President hotel , near il Duomo. Is it better to get off at the Cadorna stop or the Milano Centrale stop?

Thank you for any comments. And also please feel free to also recommend any good restaurants!
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Yes, I would take the train in. In 2009, I flew into Milan but the train did not go to Milano Centrale at that time, so I took a bus instead. In 2011, I departed from Malpensa and did take the (then new) Malpensa Express train from Milano Centrale back to the airport.

Look for the train icon as you exit baggage claim at Malpensa - I'm sure it will be hard to miss. You need to buy a ticket before you get on. There should be a machine at the airport stop, perhaps a person to buy one from.

To know which stop is best for you in Milan, we'd have to know where you are headed there. My hotel in Milan was actually near Milano Centrale, so of course that was the best destination.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Andrew for your comments. Actually I've emailed the hotel and they advise Cadorna is closer to hotel/ Duomo area so that's what I'll do.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your train from Bologna will not go to the Cadorna station. You would have to change at Centrale. At Centrale, you could switch to the metro to get to your hotel (M3 - yellow line to Duomo stop). Tram 1 should also be an option to the Duomo from Centrale.

To the airport, I would take the red line (M1 Duomo stop to Cadorna stop) and then take the train from Cadorna to Malpensa. Trains depart every 30 minutes and travel time is 30 minutes.

http://www.atm-mi.it/en/ViaggiaConNo...O_feb_2012.pdf

You can use the route finder for public transport in Milan for your best options.
http://www.atm-mi.it/en/Giromilano/Pages/default.aspx
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kybourbon. I'm doing the trip in reverse , fly into Milan, stay one night and then next day go to Bologna (which as you well point out trains leave from Milano Centrale).
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 02:37 PM

There are two Terminals at Malpensa, and the trains into the city only depart from Terminal 1. One train from Terminal 1 goes to Cadorna. The other train from Terminal 1 goes to Centrale. The bus that departs from both Terminal goes only to Centrale Station. It is cheaper than the trains, but can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes longer.

Given the location of your hotel, it doesn't much matter whether you arrive at Cadorna or Centrale. You will probably want to take a short taxi ride from either station, rather than hassle without buying tickets for the Metro or a tram if you are not familiar with where to get them or don't know the lines.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Matera, thank you for pointing out that important piece of information. I'm going to try and find out at what terminal my flight arrives.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I arrive at Terminal 1. From what I can see most flights, except Easy Jet, arrive at 1.
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Whatever you are told, there is always something of a possibility that, in flight, your pilots could be directed to land at Terminal 2 by air controllers -- or Bologna!

Anyway, I wouldn't purchase anything in advance. It is really very simple to get any tickets you need at the airport. If you know what train you want to take from Milan to Bologna, you can buy all your train tickets at once at the airport (or any more than you might need beyond Bologna).
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Plus there should be automated ticket machines at every train station, with English instructions. While the machines take credit/debit cards, mine did not work in the machines last I was in Italy (even though I had no problem in 2007). But Euro cash should work fine. It's a good idea to have an idea of the basic train schedule before you get there, though. There should be many direct trains between Milan and Bologna, some faster and more expensive, others cheaper, regional trains that may not be that much slower. Occasionally a train you want may not show up on the machines for some reason. It's a good idea to have the intelligence ahead of time, though. ("I'll try for the direct regional train at 9:00").

Just remember to validate all tickets in the validation boxes at the station before you get on the train, unless they are reserved seats!
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:17 PM

Just back from Italy via Milan. Since I departed from there I can't tell you much about arriving, but we did take the Malpensa Express from Cadorna and it worked fine.

However, I can recommend all the restaurants we went to. I looked for suggestions on tripadvisor and looked for positive reviews in Italian and English that seemed legitimate. I did not want to end up with a restaurant's tourist option A or B specials and we did not. We ate at:

Osteria dei Poeti - Corso Garibaldi, 40 (phone 02-869-0321)
This was a small restaurant in the Brera section. Moderately priced for Milan (primi about 9E, secondi about 12 E) and many menu options and good sized portions. You should make reservations for dinner, although my feeling is they say that they are booked because they hold out for regulars who drop in. I think that's what happened to us. If you go earlier or at 10pm you might be OK.

Nerino Dieci - Via Nerino, 10 of course (phone 02-3983-1019)
http://www.nerinodieci.it/
We had a great lunch here in the company of several Milanese on their lunch break. This is an unexpected find (unless you know to look for it) on a tiny street off of Via Torino coming from the Duomo. The food, service and prices were great. They had an interesting menu and had daily specials which were quite the bargain. We got there early for lunch but people were waiting for tables well before we finished our meal. I'm sure it gets crowded at dinner too, so a reservation may be in order.

We also ate at another restaurant, recommended by our hotel:

La Libera - Via Palermo, 21 (phone 02-805-3603)
This seemed like one of the "in" spots in Brera. A lot of the clientele looked like they are part of the who's who in Milano. But then again it is Milan so maybe it's just a well-dressed, beautiful crowd. Food and service were good. This was the most expensive place we went to, but not ridiculous. Reservations may be needed here too.

Buon appetito!
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Hamlet for those restaurant reservations!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>>Thanks Kybourbon. I'm doing the trip in reverse