Search

Milan in a day

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan in a day

So thanks to some creative use of low budget airlines, I have a lay over of about 3/4s of a day in Milan. I arrive at around 7 in the evening and I leave at around 3 the following afternoon. Obviously I want to use this time as efficently as possible and Milan is a huge city. Any advice on what I absoultely MUST do?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Make reservations to see the Last Supper and go look at the Duomo and the area that surrounds it!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Agree with Marija. To amplify: The Duomo itself is a huge and dark and unattractive church, but its charm is the rooftop, accessible from the outside.

You either climb up (bragging rights for fitness) or you take the lift for a few Euros. Bring your camera, there are thousands of statues up there, and good views on a nice day, it's very unique.

Right next to it is the Galleria, the glass-domed shopping arcades for the rich and would-like-to-be rich.

If you're into opera you probably know that La Scala has recently been renovated and is in full flight again - see if they do tours when you're there: www.teatroallascala.org

WK
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I have to disagree regarding the Duomo in Milan. We have found it to be quite beautiful. The stained glass windows are so beautiful and I suggest renting the audioguide while viewing the church. Definitely get your reservations for the Last Supper as they are really booked. We called directly but they only allow about 20 people in at a time so it does fill up quickly. Realize that the airports are outside of Milan and figure that into your travel to and from the airport.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:52 PM

You could do what we did and ride trams all day - my husband's passion!
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM

Do what Marija said. And if you have time, perhaps go to the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, a small museum close to the Duomo. There were maybe two other tourist there when we visited.
Or, from the Duomo wander through the shopping streets; Via Montenapoleone, Via Spiga, and the streets in between. If the weather is good, have lunch at Salumaio di Montenapoleone, or, if weather is not good, go to Paper Moon, Via Bagutta (they do a great antipasto buffet, and pizza as well; very fashionable, arrive early for lunch).