Mid-range Paris Hotel Advice Needed

Feb 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Mid-range Paris Hotel Advice Needed

Have read previous threads, which have been very helpful. Would appreciate help for our trip now.
Parents and 2 adult children (mid-20's) visiting early July. Need 2 rooms for 5 nights. Would appreciate any and all recommendations/advice. Don't want ultra-modern, would be great if a garden or courtyard, prefer balcony (all for the wife), A/C, and preferably a bar/lounge for the boys. Focusing on Marais, Latin Quarter, St. Germain areas (4-6eme). Hoping to spend less than 200 euro per room if possible. What about staying on Ile de St. Louis at Lutece or sister property, Deux Iles? Among others under 200 we're considering: Caron de Beaumarchais; Hotel St. Jacques; Agora St Germain; Paris Rivoli; and Hotel Beauborg (at low end of price). Do you get much more for 200-225/night?
Thanks in advance.
Feb 15th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I have a hotel thread, "Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread". Type the title in the Search box. It's also linked to the Right Bank Thread. Happy Travels!
Feb 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Not a hotel, but you might consider a large apartment (or even 2 studios in the same building--I see those listed on vrbo.com sometimes). I think your budget would allow quite a few possibilities.
Feb 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM

The previous hotels are good suggestion, may I add another one: Hotel Valadon http://www.hotelvaladon.com It's very near the Eiffel Tower. You may try their family cottage: independant from the hotel with a quiet courtyard. Or book 2 rooms.

No bar/loundge for your children but if I may say, hotels with a cool bar will be higher than 200€. Try Hotel Bel Ami in Saint Germain des Pres http://hotel-bel-ami.com

On the Ile Saint Louis (great choice) try Jeu de Paume hotel http://jeudepaumehotel.com

Good luck!
Feb 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM

"What about staying on Ile de St. Louis at Lutece or sister property, Deux Iles?"

That would be my choice and the rates are in your range, but do either have rooms with balconys?
Feb 16th, 2010, 06:23 AM

"Agora St Germain"

I stayed at this hotel and liked it. There is a cafe next door where I stood at the zinc (bar) and had my morning coffee. I don't recall if the hotel had a bar lounge, but the boys could go next door or to somewhere livier in the neighborhood. It's a good location, on near one of the bridges to Ile St Louis. I don't think there are balcony rooms though. The rooms were decent (clean, comfortable) and quiet.
Feb 16th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Hotel prices aren't so predictable that anyone can say exactly what you get "more" for 200 euro versus 180 euro in a hotel. It's really more the hotel (some may be more wellknown and charge more for that reason, some really may be nicer, some may just not have a good reason for deciding what they charge), and location is one of the biggest determinants. Some areas are just much more expensive than others for hotels, of course. You have picked two very expensive areas in your wishes (St Germain and the Marais), so of course you won't get as much there as you would in other parts of Paris. I never spend what you are willing to spend in July in Paris because I don't stay in the most expensive areas, and I don't tend to stay at the most popular hotels that all guidebooks, etc.

Don't expect any great bar/lounge for people to hang out in small, non-modern hotels at your price point. The ones you've chosen are not exactly hip or for the younger set IMO, exactly the opposite. You likely won't get any balcony, either, at that price, if you actually mean a place you can go out onto and sit, nor a special garden or courtyard.

This place is definitely more hip than the places you've chosen and does have a bar where people like to hang out, and it's in St Germain in your price range http://www.hotelparislenoxsaintgermain.com/
Feb 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all the responses so far. As an update, I have been on each of the websites for the hotels I mentioned, as well as some of those in the discussion.
We have basically ruled out an apartment, and focusing on hotels in the 4-6eme. Would still like to hear from others as to their favorites, as well as should we consider a hotel at a slightly higher rate?
Thanks again.
Feb 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Christina - Appreciate the lead on the Lenox. Have sent a note off to them.
I understand what you say re: value, and that areas we have chosen will tend to be more expensive. Just felt that 1 and 7 would be too quiet at night, and not as central. Open to counter arguments though.