Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris first timers looking for a good hotel

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything. My wife and I are planning a trip to Paris and would like to know which hotels are highly recommended. We have never been to Paris before and would like something reasonably priced and in good proximity to all of the major sights. We don't mind doing walking.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Just what do you mean by "reasonably priced"? When are you going? Will you need a hotel with a/c and an elevator? Most 2* hotels lack those options, while most 3* have them.

Have you tried searching here for Paris hotels? There are many, many threads on the subject; once you have an idea of your price range you can come back with specific questions.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:50 AM

I highly recommend the Derby Alma Hotel, I believe it is a 3 star hotel. We stayed there on November 2002 and we paid $130 a night. The hotel is on the left side of Paris, about 1 or 2 blocks from the Eiffel Towel in a very good neighborhood and very close to the train station (in case you are interested on a day trip to Versaille). The hotel was very charming, had air conditioner, a nice bar, staff was very helpful, the rooms were very nice and the bathrooms more than adequate. Look it up on tripadvisor.com, there are a lot of good notes on this hotel.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the incomplete info. We are probably looking for hotels that are under $200/night. We will be there in early September 2004.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM

..under $200 is 3* unless last minute special or other deal....Sept is busy so book now (not likely to be a good last minute deal)! for first timers suggest hotel de lutece or duex iles..sister hotels owned by the same people on ile st louis...a fabulous location and "utterly Parisien"
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Hi by350,
As Underhill stated, if you type 'Paris Hotels' in the search box, there will be many many threads. If you could give us an idea of budget, amenities, what kind of neighbourhood would you like to be in (near Seine, walking distance to Eiffel Tower, to shopping, want quiet, want bustling, etc..)it can be narrowed down. In general, I would think that you may want to consider staying in the 5th,6th, or 7th arrondisements. In these neighbourhoods, there are several favorites that Fodorites prefer, like Napoleon, Grands Ecoles, Levesque, St Germain des Pres, Notre Dame, Muguet, etc..
Hope this helps to srart you of,
Mike
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Hotel Relais du Louvre, 1'st eme...3-star, (all the amenities I need...elevator, tv, internet connection in lobby, mini-bar, CLEAN)
Step out the door and look at the Louvre, around the corner? the Seine (Pont Neuf)...I walked EVERYWHERE from there...I love that hotel...great staff
and in your price range
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Hi
Other hotels that have been often recommended here and at
www.tripadvisor.com are the Bonaparte (has a/c), Grand Balcons, St- Jacques.
Some 3-stars that are excellent, such as the d'Aubusson, are going to be above your price range I think, but it doesn't hurt to check. Don't go just by posted rates, sometimes hotels will cut a deal.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I don't think you can beat one of the larger rooms at the Hotel de Bretonnerie in the 4th -- and a great location too.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I think our major requirements are $200 or less per night, AC, clean, nice/helpful staff, and in decent proximity to the major tourist sights.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM

..Dear By...the 2 hotels i recommended will fit the bill..very central (Ile st louis ) which is just "behind" notre dame..I too love the 6th and 7th and have a godchild (and her parents) in the 4th..but i think for a first time visit, the 2 hotels i recommended are perfect...Whatever you choose, book NOW for sept.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Yes: book NOW. September is very high season in Paris because of the fashion shows, and the better hotels are booked far in advance.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Caron de Beaumarchais in the 4th. Its virtues:

-Good location near Ile St. Louis
-Attractive rooms (small)
-Has a/c
-Attentive proprietors, Etienne and Alain Bigeard

Book ASAP
-<$150

Anthony
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:58 AM

bye350,
We stayed at a wonderful little hotel very near the Seine right at Notre Dame. HOTEL DE NOTRE DAME is on a tiny, ancient street about 100 yards from the river. You can hardly get more "central". Superior double is about 150 euros. Note: there are several hotels with similar names. This is the one on Rue Maitre Albert.

I believe some rooms have views of ND...from our 2nd floor room we had a tiny view of the trees along the river. But the thing we loved most was walking out our front door and being right at the Seine, the Ile St. Louis and Ile de la Cite, Notre Dame, etc. [Which also means easy walk to many wonderful restaurants!] We easily walked to the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. There are several metro stops within walking distance.

The hotel was clean and comfortable, the room was small but well appointed, the bath was large and modern. Staff was courteous and very efficent.
They have breafast available in the room or in their dining area, but we usually chose one of the lovely cafes on the Iles.

Hotel de Notre Dame:
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html

Karen Brown Guide:
http://karenbrownusa.com/franceinns/...so?RecID=9816#

I found another picture at a site for an apartment rental, apparently right next door to the hotel. The top left picture shows the narrow street and the view from the hotel's front door out toward the river. See those trees & lamp posts at the end of the street? That's the Seine.
http://www.psrparis.com/loadapt.cgi?802&us
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:02 AM

My wife and I have stayed at two hotels during visits- both are in the 6th which is usually recommended for first time visitors-
1) Le Sainte Beauve
2) Pas des Calais

Both have website, meet your price, are near metro, and have elevators. We liked both very mcuh. Are returning to Pas in October.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Another good resource for hotel reviews is www.eurocheapo.com.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:33 AM

I have stayed at Hotel Muguet-if I'm not wrong it's on the 6th arr. Stayed there 2x in my trips to Paris; you can just google them at www.hotelmuguet.com. It is near a lot of cafes and restaurants and near 2 Metro stops and a walk away from the Eiffel Tower. Tiny rooms with its own bathroom but always very clean-also in a quiet street. There is also a post office one street over that you can do the least expensive exchange if not using the ATM. I found this little neat hotel from another board where it was highly recommended and I was glad.
Check it out and happy travels.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM

A list
Hotel de la bretonnerie
Hotel LE notre dame (views of notre dame)
Hotel Deux Iles (on Ile St Louis)
Hotel St Louis (ditto)
Hotel Lutece (ditto)

Ile St Louis would be a very nice place to stay and very central. Rooms may be a bit small
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks for all of the great info. Please keep 'em coming.

If anyone seconds any of these suggestions...please let me know. It's always nice to hear multiple people give thumbs up for the same hotel. Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:01 AM
ira

Hi by,

My wife and I always stay at the Bonaparte when we visit Paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -