Lyon accommodation

Aug 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Lyon accommodation

Hi,
I am planning two nights in Lyon, so I can see a musical at the Maison de la Danse.
I am not sure where to stay. Should I try and find accommodation close to the theater, or would it be OK to stay in the city area? If I stay in the city what is the best (safe) way to travel between the theater and the accommodation?
Thanks,
Cathyanne
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:41 AM

I think it would be nicer to stay in the city centre. There's not much happening around the area where the Maison de la Danse is located (I've seen a couple of performances there).

I'd recommend the Hotel la Résidence on rue Victor Hugo in the 2nd arrondissement ( www.hotel-la-residence.com ). It's a decent, good value, well located hotel that constantly gets good reviews on this board.

You can get the tram from Perrache station to the Maison de la Danse. From La Résidence you can walk to Perrache or take the metro from Ampère (1 stop) or place Bellecour (2 stops).
I'd recommend taking the tram + metro on the way back, as that will drop you closer to the hotel.
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I've noticed the Hotel la Residence has some great reviews. I suppose I was wondering how safe it is to use the tram or metro in the evening. I am a solo female.
Cheers.
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:10 AM

I've taken the metro in Lyon at all times of day and night. I've always felt safe on the public transport system there.

I'll admit that I haven't taken the tram out to the Maison de la Danse (we took our car), but I would think there will be plenty of other people taking the tram back into the city after the performance, and I'm sure the metro at Perrache will be fairly busy.

As with any public transport system, it helps to be aware of your surroundings and don't tempt pickpockets with wallets in easily-accessible pockets or open handbags (though personally I've never heard any stories of anyone being pickpocketed in Lyon, it's better safe than sorry!)

If you feel very nervous about taking the public transport system in the evening, you could also enquire at your hotel about taxi options, to see if you could organise one to bring you back after the show.
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Oh, and just out of interest, what is the musical you are going to see?

Aug 28th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I haven't been to Lyon, so it is difficult to know the best options.
I am planning to see Dracula entre l'amour et la mort. I have never seen Bruno Pelletier perform live, but I have all his CD's, so I am really excited I will be able to see the show in Lyon in January.
Cheers
Aug 28th, 2007, 01:43 AM

Looks like a great show. I hope you'll report back on your return!
Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hanl,
I have emailed the Hotel la Residence. They kindly let me know that bookings for January will be available from October. So I will contact them again soon.
Bye,
Cathyanne