Hotel Apollo in Rome

Sep 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Apollo in Rome

Any feedback on this hotel, located on Via Serpenti, not too far from Metro Cavour and up the street from the Colisseum would be appreciated.
p.s. I'm new to forum and have found it to be very helpful in trip planning. Thanks.
Sep 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM

Did you go to Tripadvisor.com hotel reviews?..

also, from this forum:
Author: 2Italy ([email protected])
Date: 01/23/2007, 08:21 pm
We stayed in the Apollo in 2005 and will again this year. Nice place, good location, great breafasts. The breakfast area on the roof is nicely done also, and the gentleman who takes car of the breakfasts and room does a great job.
This is a family run hotel, clean, and is one of the few in Italy that we found carpet in. There are several restaurants in the area, and one bar that had live band playing one evening; very enjoyable.

more:
http://www.romeby.com/apollorome/traveler-reviews/

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/kol...on=user_rating
Sep 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Travelnut. I had booked this hotel on the reviews from Tripadvisor, but glad to looke at romeby site also. We'll be arriving at the train station; do you advise taxi or walking to the hotel?
Sep 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM

I haven't been there but that was one of my 'backup hotels'... It looks to be over a kilometer from Termini so I wouldn't walk it with luggage, espec. if not already familiar with the route.

I guess you know about the precautions with rogue taxis at Termini; be sure you go to the rank, show the address and ask how much before you get in or hand over any luggage, and don't go with anyone who 'greets' you in the terminal area.
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the precaution.
Sep 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM

Hello backbone
I think you'll like the Apollo. We're headed back in October and will stay there again. It's only about 4 blocks north of the Colosseum.

We have walked from Termini and also taken a taxi. It's not a bad walk if you've packed light. The taxi fare should be reasonable, about 6-10 Euros.
The folks who run the hotel have always been very helpful in all ways.

[email protected]
Sep 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM

Let me put it this way, backbone. The family who runs the Apollo, the owner husband and wife? Couldn't be less friendly. I mean, they are sitting on a gold mine, with their property in central Rome, and their daughter and son-in-law will inherit this gold mine. The DD and SIL are quite nice-particularly the SIL-but I don't like arriving at a hotel and having the proprietor look at me with an utterly blank expression on his face, as if I weren't there-no smile, no look of acknowledgement-nothing. Once it's evening time they go away-they live in the building, but they are not available-they have a desk clerk. However the street where the hotel is located, Via Serpenti, a very ancient street, is wonderful, this is a real Roman neighborhood-"rione" and when you walk down the street, you will see that. There is a great inexpensive gelato shop, an excellent Italian restaurant at the end of the street called "Wanted" I believe, but don't be put off by the English name, they have great food, well-priced, daily specials, and no tourists the night I went (a couple of years ago). I had a fabulous pasta and home made panna cotta there-excellent. There are a zillion very good trattorias, in and around the area, the Colisseum is right down at the end of the street-you can see it once you walk out of the hotel-and it is FABULOUS to walk there and look at it from the place where all the cars are parked at the end of the street, which is above the sidewalk across from the Colliseum. Love the location, you can walk everywhere, Santa Maria Maggiori, Termini, I walked to the Pantheon from here no problem. The room is okay, breakfast on the roof terrace, also okay-you can do far worse in Rome, that's for sure. If the owners were a bit more friendly I'd feel differently, but they're not, so I don't.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM

It's a pretty cool historical location (Subura) and as Girlspytravel said it's on an ancient street.
Of course all that is now below ground.

It was the 1st suburb of early Rome, as Rome absorbed the nearby tribes it became safe to settle in areas that were not hilltop fortresses like the Palatine Hill.

But by Julius Caesar's time that area called Subura was a dangerous dirty slum.
Fires, apartment collapses-very common, criminals, taverns, brothels, etc.

Julius Caesar was born and raised there, his family had a nice house but all they had was the blue-blood and not the money to go with it.

Emperor Claudius' 3rd wife Messalina was a nymphomantic and used to cruise the area.
And very possibly that is where she had a brothel or just a room in a brothel just for herself as the ancient writers claim.

Emperor Nero used to go there nights disguised as a commoner and drink and get into fights (his also disguised Guards are nearby).
I believe he also used to cruise the area in drag?

Well the cool thing is you're staying in Julius Caesar's neighborhood .

And when you walk down to the Roman Forum from your hotel take Via d. Madonna d. Monti.
That street like the Serpenti is build above the ancient street called the Argiletum, so you'll be following in Caesar's footsteps .

Also ~100m before Via d Madonna d Monti ends on the rightside is a restaurant you might like, called something like 'Taverna Fori Imperiale' you can't miss it.
Owner speaks excellent English and will tell you his off-menu specials for the day.

Also the pizza place just across the street is nice.
Regards, Walter
Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Great info, Walter. Thanks. I'll report upon our return in Oct.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM

Walter, I just love how you answer a question about hotel location!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM

Our experience with the owners was completely opposite of Girlspytravel's. The owners met us at the desk with big smiles and gave us a big welcome to Hotel Apollo and Rome.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM

2Italy-are you sure you aren't talking about the son-in-law, and not the old man and lady? Because I know of others who have said the same as I about the owner.
Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM

Hi

Have you been to Rome before? My wife and I went to Rome a couple of years back and here is my trip report with pictures, links and maps: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm The reviews on TA seems pretty good for this hotel: http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html . Hope that you will have a great trip. Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:16 AM

Yes, I'm sure. The older couple were at the reception area when we checked in the first time. They were very nice to us and helpful although their English is not as good as the younger folks.
We dealt with all of them at some point in our stay and were never treated brusquely. At the end when we were going to the airport, RomeCabs was waiting and Stefano, the older guy and the son-in-law helped the ladies get their bags to the vehicle.
They also answered every inquiry with good info and a smile.

[email protected]