Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling in Italy in Oct. ( Amalfi, Florence and Rome) would love feedback

Aug 31st, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

2 couples will be traveling for 2 weeks in Italy for the first time. We arrive in Naples on Airfrance on Sept 30th( any comments on airfrance travel?). We will then travel ( via train?) to Sorrento for 2 nights at Relias Francesca. We plan to go to Pompeii on the first day via the train between Sorrento and Pompeii and pick up a tour when we arrive. the second day we will travel to Positano for a 2 night stay at La Reginella . We will either take the bus or a taxi and leave the luggage at the hotel while we tour around Positano/ Revello/ Amalfi . The next day we are on to Capri for a day trip ( what do we do there?). Is there a boat/ hydrofoil from Positano to Capri? Or should we do Capri from Sorrento and then do Pompeii from Positano?
On Oct 4th we travel from Naples to Florence via the train ( booked tickets on Rail Europe in 1st class). should we take a car to Naples from Positano? Train leaves at 1:30 pm
In Florence we are staying 5 nights at Antica posta ( found on Cross pollinate and Venere.com) near the train station ( supposedly we can walk with in 10 minutes or taxi for 15 Euros. Has anyone stayed here? Is the area safe for walking? First day we will Motorcycle tour ( with Stadanova) to Siena or Pisa ( not sure yet) second day is free to explore Florence. third day we will do a bicycle tour of Chianti ( only 13 miles) with Charnes Bike tours. Fourth day we will motorcycle on our own thru Chianti and hopefully down to Montipulcino area..
Oct 9th time to catch the train from SMN to Rome. We will stay at Suite Oriani near Borghese area. We will probably taxi from Train station. First day we will probably go to Colliseum and Pantheon . Second day will probably tour Vatican area.
Oct 12th we fly home at 7 am. Suite Oriani offers a limo ride to the airport. I am looking for any tips about our itinerary. Restaurants and Wine tours we should check out. I am concerned about how much cash to take? Would prefer to use a credit card but one hotel only takes cash....
thanks in advance for your comments.
Aug 31st, 2007, 06:44 AM

There are plenty of ferries and hydrofoils from Positano to Capri and Amalfi - all down by the public beach - you can't miss it. They have little stands by the dock that sell tickets.
When you visit Capri you can go to the Blue Grotto...very touristy but I really enjoyed it. They take you by boat around the island (beautiful ride), then once you arrive you wait in your boat and a little dingy picks you up and takes you into the grotto where the water seems to glow in the cave. They serenade you while they paddle you around.
The town of Anacapri is up the mountain a little with shops, etc. Make sure to take the chairlift (near Piazza Vittoria) up Mt. Solaro. Once at the top the views are stunning and you can see the bay of Naples.

When you visit Ravello make sure to go to the Villa Cimbrone - you can walk through the amazing gardens and the views from the infinity ledge are unbeatable!
Aug 31st, 2007, 07:42 AM

When you can, I would take a ferry over a bus on the Amalfi coast, much more fun and scenic. You can take the local train between Naples and Sorrento, but I don't really recommend it with luggage (think train like a subway train, not like Eurostar). If you can splurge on a driver I recommend that for the Naples-Sorrento and Positano-Naples journeys (probably more for the longer Positano-Naples than the Naples-Sorrento).
Aug 31st, 2007, 10:36 AM

Too bad you did not post before booking on RailEurope as they add fees are are significantly higher than using the Trenitalia site.

With your 5 nights in Florence, IMO you are not leaving nearly enough time to enjoy the city itself, instead using it as a place to sleep basically. I would suggest giving yourselves more time there instead of so many daytrips.

Get cash as you go from the ATMs and tell your bank ahead of time that you will be travelling in Italy on those dates so your card is not cut off.

There are tons of restaurant recommendations on this site that using the search feature will pull up.

IMO, all of Florence is safe but the area around the train station is the least appealing. You can walk everywhere in Florence.

You will certainly need a taxi from Termini in Rome to your location near the Borghese Gardens, as it is not walking distance.

Sep 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM

Hi MS - You can find Amalfi Coast ferry/hydrofoil timetables from Positano on:

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../costiera2.asp

CAPRI has hydrofoil/ferry services from Positano. For details see:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Sep 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the tips....! I appreciate the help.
Sep 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

would it be easier to go to Capri ( and most time efficient ) from Sorrento or Positano ?
Also would it be easier to go to Pompeii from Sorrento versus Positano?
Sep 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi M,

>..arrive in Naples ... We will then travel ( via train?) to Sorrento

There is direct bus service from NAP to Sorrento.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

>should we take a car to Naples from Positano?

A limo is the easiest way, about 110E.

>I am concerned about how much cash to take?

None. Charge everything you can and use your ATM card to get cash. Ask your bank to raise your daily limit, if necessary.

Capri from Positano, Pompei from Sorrento.

Enjoy your visit.

Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM

Hi MS - I did this a couple of years ago with two others. Here's some of my experience.

We took the circumvesuviana (subway) right out of the Naples train station to Sorrento. Try the bus (or hired driver) like Ira says as they would have a spot for your luggage. It was a bit inconvenient on the subway with luggage but it's not impossible. We took the bus from Sorrento to Positano. It was a beautiful ride along cliffs high above the water. We took the ferry from Sorrento to Capri and also did the Blue Grotto tour. It was beautiful and worth it. FYI, another tourist thought it was a rip-off. After talking with him he said he went into the grotto in the a.m. (this was in May) when the sun was probably not on that side of the island. I would suggest you go on a sunny day in the afternoon if the sun is shining on that side. Do take the chair lift ride up from Anacapri to Monte Solaro.

Other suggestions: If your b&b is on the main drag in Sorrento - ask for a room in the back - the traffic noise was horrible at night. Also, we enjoyed eating dinner at Il Nido Hotel high up in the hills of Sorrento - they have a free shuttle from downtown Sorrento to their hotel and back. Here's their website: http://www.ilnido.it/

If you use the circumvesuviana for your trip to Pompei, etc and need the timetables they can be found via google. Search on 'circumvesuviana' and select 'translate this page'. IMO riding the subways and busses give you an idea of how some of the locals travel. Have a great trip!
Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the great feedback...
Terri58 I just read some good stuff about the ll Nido Hotel. I tried to book but they are full. we will go eat there however so thanks for reinforcing that plan.
I just booked Porto Salvo ( B and B type) in Sant Agnello area as it is supposed to be quiet yet convenient place to bounce out of for day trip to Sorrento Capri and Amalfi Coast area. I am thinking we may only spend a couple of hours in Pompeii on our way back to Naples the last day...would this be enough time to get a taste of the Ruins here? I have decided to take the driver/limo option from Naples as I do not want to start our trip out on a negative with the ugly train ride on Circumsuvian ( I want to feel safe and relax a little after the long journey from Houston)
Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM

msbeavers,

your itinerary is very similar to one we are taking leaving September 26th, for 2 weeks. We are also flying Air France to Naples - from there we have a private car booked to take us to our hotel in Sorrento (actually, Sant Agnello just like you). I didn't want to struggle with luggage and jet lag so paid the price for the private car!
We are spending 4 nights there and have a private driver booked for our first full day to take us along the Amalfi Coast. After that we're on our own - plan to use ferries to take us to Capri and back to Positano the other days.
We then return to Naples (same driver) and take the train to Rome, for 2 nights. My priority there is the Vatican.
We then pick up a rental car and drive to Siena - 2 nights there, then 2 nights in Volterra, and we then drive the car into Florence, drop it off, and spend 3 nights there before flying home on Air France from Florence.
I plan to book the Uffizi museum in Florence and also the Borghese in Rome. Have already booked a tour of the Vatican.
There are lots of good restaurant suggestions if you search by the area you're looking for.
For winery tours, try Verrazzano in the Chianti region. I've read terrific things about their wine tasting and I have sent them a request for a reservation: [email protected]

I have a question for you, since we travelling at the same time to the same places - what kind of clothes are you bringing? Any idea what the weather will be like, or should we anticipate both warm and cool weather? I expect at least the evenings will be cool.

Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

DavidTH
wow we do have very close itineraries...
I am packing for weather in the 70's during the day and low 60's / high 50's at night and early morning. So layers is what I have been told. I am not even bringing shorts. I will only bring good walking type shoes (this is a major challenge for a shoe fanatic)
Like you we are going to pay the $$ for a driver after that long flight. I found someone highly recommended on these postings (95 Euro seems to be the best deal so far)
I think I stumbled across Verrazona as well.... I hope you can post some information or send us an email while you are there to share your experience/ warnings....
I changed our Rome hotel to a location closer to Vatican / Piazza Navona area. I think we will be happier and have less commuting issues!
Best wishes and safe travel! keep in touch....