11,12, or 14 Arrondissements

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

11,12, or 14 Arrondissements

My daughter will be assigned to a dorm in one of these neighborhoods, she may not know which one til she arrives in May. I need to make reservations for myself to visit and do not want to wait til the last minute for reservations. I have been looking on VRBO and there seems to be lots of apartments in these areas. Are they all pretty close to each other, for example if I was staying in the 11th and she was in the 14th would it be outrageously inconvenient?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:25 PM

Given the uncertainty involved, I would be inclined to key in a few areas with great metro connections that are nice neighborhoods for you to stay in. With what I know so far, two that could well make very convenient places to base from would include Place de la Republique and Place de la Nation.

That being said, the Paris metro system has such great reach and you're not likely to put yourself at a REAL disadvantage in some other areas that you might choose.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:09 PM

Seconding Flyboy's suggestion. Place de La Nation is on the border of the 11th and 12th arrondissements, and would also give you the best Metro options, I believe, with two other No. 1 line stops, in addition to the Nation station, near the common border of the 11th and 12th, the Reuilly Diderot and Place de La Bastile stations, as well as the Gare de Lyon stop in the 12th. Also from Place de La Nation, you can reach the 14th arrondissement without a change on the No. 6 line. A 11th-12th arrondissement to 14th arrondissement Metro trip may take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the location in the 14th. Do you know the street addresses of your daughter's three possible lodging places?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:12 PM

Make that 20 to 45 minutes for a Metro trip from the 11th-12th to the 14th.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. In the 14th the student housing is located at Cité Universitaire.

In the 11th and 12th it is unclear, tho the blurb says the students will be within walking distance or short Metro ride to rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine.

I am hoping she can get some definitive answers this week so I can zero in on an apartment.

Of course I have a map but it does not give me any idea of ambience!

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:43 AM

In the event she is assigned to Cite Universitaire, there are apartments on avenue Rene Coty in the 14th that a couple of Fodors posters have used recently (and more apts in other areas of the 14th). You can reach the universite and the Parc Montsouris by following Rene Coty toward the peripherique.

This area is quite nice, residential, lots of shops and cafes along rue d'Alesia, ave du Gen Leclerc, and around Porte d'Orleans. The RER-B runs between Denfert-Rochereau and Cite, and Metro Line 4 will whisk you into Paris 'central' in no time. Also several bus lines.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34570711

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34544421
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:20 AM

I can give you a pretty good idea of the ambience on rue du Faubourg St. Antoine because I live on it! Plenty of businesses; lots of restuarants; business more trendy near Place de La Bastille, including Habitat and Gap; tree lined starting at the Faidherbe Chasligny Metro and heading toawrd Place de La Nation. Traditionally, it's a proterst march route, and also, the Tour de France passes by our living room window. There are furniture makers and furniture restorers on some of the impasses off the street -- on the lower end, starting at Place de la Bastille. Residentially it's middle class, somewhat mixed ethnically, but less so than several other parts of the 11th. It's also quite "young" demographically. A pleasant area off the tourist path, and perfectly safe for anyone with common sense.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:32 AM

If you think you will know this week, I would wait. Cite Universitaire is on the far edges of that arrondisement, as you know, and I would not want to take an apt. in the 12th if she was staying at Cite Universitaire. Also, the "short metro ride to rue du fbg St-Antione" could mean near the peripherique.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Architecturally, there is historic protection on the 11th arrondissement said of the rue du Faubourg St. Antoine (the street forms a border between the 11th and the 12th arrondiessments). Many of the buildings on the 11th arrondissement side, from Place de la Bastille to the Faidherbe-Chaligny Metro, roughly halway to Place de La Natiion, date from the 18th century, and the ensemble on that side is pleasing, though one needs to look with an art historian's eye, since on ground level all are devoted to business. The impasses are fascinating. You can read about them in some guide books. Historically, the street was outside Paris until the early 18th century. "Faubourg" means "suburb." A major early influence was an abbey up the street from the Place de La Bastille, part of its grounds now one of the major Paris hositals. The abbess persuaded the king to allow craftsmen to work in the faubourg without traditional restrictions, and so the furniture manufacturing developed. Many of the first craftsmen were Italian. This was also a hotbed of revolutionary fervor in the late 18th century. Indeed, there is some ground for arguing that the revolution in Paris in April 1789, hree months before the taking of the Bastille, with the sacking of a huge wallpaper e factory just up the rue de Montreuil from its intersection with the rue Faubourg St. Antoine, though it apparently was troublemakers from the 12th arrondissement that made up most of the mob.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

I SO appreciate your replies. I have no clue why I am so flustered about this trip as I travel alone quite often and I have been to Europe 3 times (one of those times alone!) I guess I am too focused on where my daughter will be staying and that detail seems to be very unclear, maybe up until the last minute.

Perhaps I should just get recommendations for the most charmingly affordable neighborhoods and hope to find a cute apartmentfor 10 days or so. My daughter will be in classes all day M-F, we will just be meeting in the late afternoons and evenings, she can come to wherever I am staying or we can meet anywhere in Paris for that matter.

I bought a Streetwise map today, MUCH more detailed than any map in the guide books I have and it clearly shows the arrondissents except for the 14th. Is that becuase it is too far south and off the map?

MERCI
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM

http://linktrim.com/1v2

This link will show you a basic map of the 14th... you can go to www.mappy.com and enter addresses or metro stops and drill down for more detail.

There are few 'tourist' sites in the 14th or its borders - part of the charm as far as I'm concerned. The most 'famous' spots in the area would the the Tour Montparnasse (great overview from the 59th floor terrace), the Montparnasse cemetery, the Catacombs, Parc Montsouris, and the literary cafes on blvd Montparnasse (Select, Dome, etc). Many artists, writers and philosophers around the turn of the century up to the War lived in the area.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM

yeah, Streetwise maps are good but have this flaw of only including the parts of the city they think are relevant to tourists. I think they cut off both the north and south of the city. YOu can buy other maps with all of Paris in them (ie, M. Middleditch's booklet of arrondisement maps?). One big map does help you get a better sense of layout and distances than the little pages per arrondisement (or half of one), though.

YOu could try to find an apartment in the bottom of the fifth near the Censier/Gobelins metro stops as a compromise, and it will be a good location in general, and in-between her possibilities. I stayed in an apartment near Censier year before last and really liked that area.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:07 PM

The way to be close to any of those arrondissements for purposes of travel is to situate yourself at the geographical center of the three, somewhere in the area of Place d'Italie. Here Métro Lignes 6 and 7, as well as bus routes 27, 47, 57, 67, and 83 converge, affording access to all of the southern part of the city, plus the Marais via Ligne 5.

Excellent transport maps can be found at

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_pdf.php

Select Bus Paris (avec rues) and RER IdF. These maps are available at RATP offices. Ask for the Grand Plan.

Detailed maps of individual bus lines are at

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_terminus.php
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:13 AM

As usual, Robespierre has it right. Something near Place d'Italie would be best for rapid access to either area where your daughter may be staying. By train it looks like a change from the Metro to the RER at Denfort-Rochereau to go the the Cite Universitaire. From Place d'Italy the No. 5 Metro line passes through parts of the 11th arrondissement, and the No. 1 line is accesible at Bastille.

But Vivi, where are your daughter's classes being held? Is that known? Could she check into her dorm early on but then stay with with you while you're in Paris?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Vivi, I don't think there is any rush. AS Christina rightly puts it, Cité Universitaire is quite isolated and with access to, well, one line, and a RER one, not a metro. So basically if your daughter is there, staying in Place d'Italie or Nation would be more of a hassle than anything else. As for the "within a short metro ride of..." ummmhh, that seems a bit tricky to me. So, if I were you, I would wait until I knew for sure.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I personally would not recommend staying near place d'Italie nor would I base myself on the geographic center of those lines. I don't agree with that method of deciding where to stay. I really do not care for the area around place d'Italie and would not choose it when there are so many nicer areas.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM

The Butte aux Cailles is a lovely neighborhood near Place d'Italie (think Montmartre on a smaller scale, without the crowds)