Lyon Train Stations

Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyon Train Stations

We are traveling by TGV from Nice to Lyon and our train will arrive at the Part-Dieu station. Is there a train or a metro that links Part Dieu to the Perrache station since our hotel is closer to the latter? If it's another train, do we use the same railpass for the connection?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM

There are frequent trains between the two stations and you shouldn't need another ticket. Your train might even go on to Perrache.

Be sure to sit on the right side looking forward. When you come out of the tunnel and go over the first bridge you will see the most beautiful view of Lyon, the two rivers and the beautiful cathedral on the hill.

You'll love Lyon. It's a beautiful City!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM

That's right about the trains between Part-Dieu and Perrache - but you can also get on the metro at Part-Dieu so, depending where your hotel is, you might find it easier to get on the metro at PD to the metro stop nearest your hotel rather than train to Perrache and then walk.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info and for your prompt replies.
We will be staying at the Hotel La Residence and from what I was told, it is a 5 minute walk to the Perrache station.

What sights do you recommend should we have only one full day in the city? Also, restaurant recommendations are appreciated.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Yes La Residence is close to Perrache - perhaps closer to ten minutes than five, but it's an easy walk I've often done even with luggage (along a pedestrian street). In part it depends how much luggage you are hauling - if it's a significant amount, note there are two metro stops closer than Perrache (Bellecour and Ampere - La Residence is about equidistant between them).

For ideas about sites and restaurants look at the Lyon forums on the TripAdvisor website - lots of discussion of these issues and in particular the destination expert there, only Lyon, has posted an enormous number of suggestsions etc.

We love Lyon! Enjoy.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM

There are some world class restaurants in Lyon but my favorite places to eat are in Vieux Lyon. It's an easy walk from La Residence (really a great location).
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I love La Résidence. I love Lyon. I'm jealous!
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, again. I checked Tripadvisor and found a lot of valuable info on Lyon.

After reading about how beautiful the city is, we might just spend an extra day.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 06:04 AM

The "T" (metro) is quite good. There is a station right outside Part-Dieu.

You can easily spend 3 days there. At the top of the hill (Metro to Vieux Lyon stop, then Fourviere funiculaire) is "new" cathedral, which is interesting, but I found a bit too modern for me. But the attraction on the hill is the roman arena, with nice views over the city. Nearby is the archeological museum, which is world class. From the top of the hill take the steep road Montee St Barthelemy. You end up in the Old Town, which is a very nice place to spend time,. Walk back towards St Jean Cathedral and go in to see the renaissance mechanical clock,whih rings 4 times a day. They ave organ concerts.

A walk along the river is also a good idea, look for the painted building with all the characters.

Places des Terreaux is another fantastic location. Have lunch at an outdoor terrasse. Check out the city hall and Art Museum. The Art Museum is house in an old manestary, so even if you don'tgo in, at least have a look at the entrance. Nearby is also the opera House.

Place Bellecour is the main square. The tourist bureau is here, and if you want shopping there are some good streets near here.

I went in 2005 and posted a trip report here. I liked the city and would go back. It is a city that can be seen in 3-4 days.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 06:50 AM

If Residence is your hotel, don't use Metro so you will avoid stairs up, down and the turnstile which is not easy with big luggage. It might have already been said above but changing to another train inside Part-Dieu station is much easier. Once you get to Perrache, find the exit Direction Place Carnot, cross the park (Place Carnot) with Hotel Campanille Perrache on your right. Walk by the statue of the Godess of the republic (don't know the real name) in the park and you will get quickly to Rue de Victor Hugo where the hotel is located.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all these helpful details for our trip. I always knew I can rely on Fodorites to answer any travel questions or concerns I have. Thanks again for your time and all the info.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM

You can make a quick visit to the 10th century church L'Abbaye Saint-Martin d'Ainay that is only 5 minutes walk toward la Saone river from the hotel.

http://www.petermathews.net/images/f...rtin-ainay.jpg
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I was in Lyon about a month ago. It's a lovely city. I was in a photography workshop there for a couple days. The cathedral on the hill is beautiful at twilight and early morning. There's a lovely morning market along quay St. Antoine (next to the river - Soane). I'm sorry I can't help you with the names of restaurants, but here are my photos if you care for a preview:

http://www.pbase.com/scbowen/lyon
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Just a side note to all the useful info you've received so far: you can also take the tram (line T1) direct from Part-Dieu to Perrache.
Might take slightly longer but there are fewer stairs than if you take the metro (or even the train, for that matter).