Louvre

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louvre

How can I get tickets to the Louvre prior to arriving in Paris on Sept. 1st?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Why would you need to?

Is it the only museum you plan to visit?
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM

we didn't have advanced tickets - just purchased at the lower level underneath the pyramid. this was several years ago - and things may have changed.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:15 PM

The easiest way to get Louvre tickets is when you go. If you go in along the Seine at the Denon wing, there is never a line.

The big problem is the queue at the D'Orsay. There is no way around that unless you purchase a museum card. Personally, I think the museum card is mostly bought to avoid that queue. It is generally not advantageous financially.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"The big problem is the queue at the D'Orsay. There is no way around that unless you purchase a museum card. " Sure there is. You can just buy an advance ticket at the museum. There is a separate line for advance purchase and there is seldom more than a handfull of folks there. . . . .
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I haven't been to the D'Orsay in years and did not realize you could walk up and buy a ticket, say, for the next day avoiding the lines. Very helpful information. Thanks.

The last time I went to Paris was in 2001 and I did spend about 6 hours at The Louvre, going in through the Denon wing. I generally only do one of these "big" museums per visit. I spend the rest of my museum time at smaller museums. In 2001 I visited the Picasso Museum and the Jewish Museum. I just do not like to be rushed in any museum. I have done 2 smaller museums in a day but never more than one "biggie". Tops on my list for when I go again is the recently reopened L'Orangerie. I was there years ago but I cannot wait to revisit Monet's Waterlilies.

Unfortunately, there is not Paris in my immediate future.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM

You can buy online tickets at the louvre website. Its what I plan to do:

http://www.louvre.fr/llv/pratique/bi...sp?bmLocale=en
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM

The Louvre isn't much of a problem any more because they have a lot of automated ticket machines now, and it doesn't take that long to get in (if you go into the underground entrance from the metro, for example, which is always what I'm doing). This is what nanabee is saying, I believe.

YOu can buy advance tickets to the Orsay at ticket outlets, also, like FNAC, which I've done. I've also been there without that and gotten in without much wait if you go first thing when it opens -- even in summer. Most people just won't do that, they go at the peak wait times, like early afternoon.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:41 PM

We use the underground (metro) entrance to the Louvre, too. Last trip, I discovered a tabac right there where we bought our Musee d'Orsay tickets for the next day.

Sohns: The metro stop is Palais Royale/Musee du Louvre. When you get off, you'll see signs on the platform pointing to the museum enrance. You will enter an area like an underground mall.

Just as you enter the door, go to the right...there's a tabac in the far corner. If I'm not mistaken, we bought both our Louvre and Orsay tickets from him.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM

I had read about the FNAC option for the D'Orsay but not had personally done it. I haven't been there in a long time because there are so many museums in Paris I have yet to visit. So, each visit seems to be some time at some part of The Louvre and then smaller museums. I have a hard time getting out of any museum (even a small one) in less than 2 hours. For a 7-10 trip I have never been able to do 2-3 museums. There is only so much that you can really "see". Then your eyes get tired. . . .