Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum tickets, et al

Jan 14th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum tickets, et al

I have heard various rumors about tickets to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, when it opens again on April 14, 2013 after so many years.
Can some knowledgeable Fodorite give me the real scoop: Will we soon be able to reserve tickets on line? Or is it true they will not start taking reservations until actual opening day? Or will they not reserve tickets on line AT ALL? I fear it will be swamped!

We will be in Amsterdam from May 4 to 12, and our little group of friends is anxious to tour this museum (which I have never seen despite at least four trips to The Netherlands!!) and would hate to miss out due to lack of knowledge.

Also, ditto inquiry for other newly re-opened museums: the Stedelijk, the van Gogh (though I was there about 5 years ago, others will want that,) and the Hermitage? The Anne Frank?

What's the museum story?

And while I'm at it, is it true that the May 12 concert of the Berlin Philharmonic at the Concertegebow is already sold out??

Grateful thanks for any good info.
Jan 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM

You cannot buy tickets for the Rijks online anymore. You can only buy them at the museum.
Tickets will go on sale in March.

Given you want to visit several museums buy Museumkaarten at one of the others (Anne Frankhuis doesn't accept them so buy those online) and use them to (maybe) skip the queue at the Rijks. Expect it to be busy though!

Try and buy them at a smaller museum like the Tassen museum so you can skip the queues at the biggies.
Jan 14th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Yes the National Museum Card is your best bet and gives priority entrance - a no-brainer if visiting three major museums the pass pays for itself and then you can freely enter the scores of lesser museums that you would perhaps not have paid for but which may surprise you!

And the Rijksmuseum has not closed for years - it was always partly open with the main parts of the collection on show - now it is fully re-opening.

Note that the Anne Frank House now is part of the museum card I heard.
Jan 14th, 2013, 09:32 AM

http://www.tassenmuseum.nl/en

and yes the Tassen Museum or Museum of purses and handbags is a prime example of some museum you may not have paid to enter than may delight you - as hetismij in on about.
Jan 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM

You are correct Pal Anne Frankhuis does now accept the Museumkaart.

But that doesn't mean card holders can skip the queue. They still have to line up with everyone else, or reserve their place online, which costs €0.50 but isn't available as an option on the English page.
Jan 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM

Dank u very wel hetismij (who lives in Holland BTW for those who do not know it - a transplanted Welsh I believe) - and be sure to reserve a time slot for the Anne Frankhuis to avoid a very very long wait in line.
Jan 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Hetismij and PalenQ. This very good info. BUT am I to understand that even with the museum card, we will have to wait in a queue at the Rijks?

Perhaps you can suggest best time and/or day to go there?
Jan 16th, 2013, 07:38 AM

To answer your question on the Berliner Philharmonic concert: no, that is not sold out, you can still get tickets online. Concert start has been moved to 15:00 hours. Get 'm while they're hot: https://www.concertgebouw.nl/en/conc...n%3D12-05-2013
Jan 16th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Thank you Hetismij and PalenQ. This very good info. BUT am I to understand that even with the museum card, we will have to wait in a queue at the Rijks?>

I too would like this clarified - I sometimes had to wait in the regular ticket line even with my pass at some museums - at others I sidestepped the line but if i recall right you wait in the regular ticket line and then get a free tickete - not just flashing the pass so I am not sure about skipping queues.
Jan 16th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Lonely Traveler: Many thanks. Our Dutch friends have tickets, and I thought we might try to join them, as we are to meet in Amsterdam that Sunday afternoon, to spend another pleasant week in The Netherlands!
Jan 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Also, Hetismij: I just got an email from a local Dutch friend's daughter that tickets for the Rijs will be available online on March 15.
Does that comport with your information?
Jan 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM

We've used the Museumkaart twice now on our journeys through the Netherlands. As Pal mentioned, if you're planning on seeing at least 3 major museums, then the card will pay for itself.

We last used a Museumkaart in 2011, and one of the advantages were that we didn't have to queue up for the van Gogh Museum - we were able to walk right in and avoid the l-o-n-g line.

Here's a link to the website for the Museumkaart, which lists all the eligible museums (click to scroll to the right).

http://www.museumkaart.nl/

Unfortunately, it's only in Dutch, but you can Google translate it.

And if you do get the Museumkaart, be sure to use it at the Amstelkring (Our Lord in the Attic) - one of my favorite museums in Amsterdam. The Resistance Museum is another one not to be missed.

Enjoy your time in Amsterdam.

Robyn
Jan 16th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

OH, thanks for the website. I'll surely use it.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Ok, need more advice from my Netherlands experts:

Rijksmuseum tickets are now on sale on line, and it looks as though I can purchase etickets from the states on line.

However, etickets only give you entrance, but not at any particular day or time.

Am I correct in assuming that that means we still have to wait in line, or otherwise buy exchange etickets somehow for a specific date and time.

Even more complicated question: Will the Museumkaart, which we plan to buy as soon as we arrive, (but not purchasable at Schiphol, I gather) give us the same or more advantage, as those etickets for the Rijks that I mentioned above.

Hope you can translate what my questions are here. Any help gratefully received.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:32 AM

However, etickets only give you entrance, but not at any particular day or time.>

If you are going to by the National Museum Card why waste any money buying a separate Rijksmuseum that is time specific - you will be able to easily get into the museum I would wager just about anytime during your stay - especially on a week day and with the pass you can come and go anytime.

Not sure how the new Rijksmuseum will handle museum passes but you may be able to side step the line and go right in like at many other museums.

But really the chances you will not be able to get into the renovated (not reopened as the main collections were open during the renovation) - you just will - The new museum will presumably accommodation many more tourists than the old one and I never heard of the old one selling out - I visited with museum card many times just by showing up.

Yup museum pass would be the same I presume as ones you;'d order online - now special temporary exhibitions may not be covered by the pass - not sure if there are any now and if the other ticket would include them without special mention of it.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:35 AM

why not buy Museum Card upon landing at Schiphol at the Holland Visitor Center in the arrivals terminal - or why not to buy it as is said above? Curious about that. And there is or was a branch of the Rijksmuseum right smack at the airport - could perhaps buy them there as well.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:00 PM

I believe you can only buy the museum card at participating museums, or with a Dutch bank account online. Having one normally means you can skip the queues, but I don't know if that will apply at the Rijks. I assume it does. If you are planning one buying one there is no point in also buying tickets online for the Rijks. For the

Anne Frankhuis doesn't allow queue jumping with the card unless you also book a time slot online.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the best!! Thank you so much, I feel much better. I ythink we will all just buy the Museumkaart, hopefully at Schiphol upon arrival.
And we ave been warned that those of us w ho have not been to Anne Frank house will have to buy separate tickets.
Your help is invaluable.
Mar 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM

And we ave been warned that those of us w ho have not been to Anne Frank house will have to buy separate tickets.>

IME there are times of day when the line at the Anne Frank House are not that long - I walk by there a lot and especially in mid-afternoon the lines seem short. I'd ask at the ticket window about that if lines are long - a pity not to save several euros by buying a regular ticket - if lines were always long then maybe but I do not think that they are, especially in early May, still not the high season or nearly so for Amsterdam.
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm.... Interesting point PalenQ. Will certainly consider it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO