London Transfers?

Sep 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

London Transfers?

Previously, you folks recommended justairports.com for us & it worked out great - except we had to keep talking to the driver because he kept falling asleep! Anyway, obviously we made it safely & now we need London transfers again in November this year.

Didn't see any recent posts on justairports. Are they still recommended?

Any others to recommend?

Here's what we need -
Nov 11, 2009 - Southhampton cruise terminal to Gatwick
Nov 18, 2009 - Heathrow to South Kensington
Nov 23, 2009 - S. Kensington to Southhampton cruise terminal

Thanks a lot, Julie
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:35 AM

yes - the two best are probably justairports and Ray Skinner at http://www.london-transfers.com/

I'd get quotes from both. Justairports is often cheaper, but not always.
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj. I will contact both of them.

Also, anyone heard of smithsforairports.co.uk? The Cruise Critic boards' folks use them. Anyone here used them or know of them? I trust Fodorites more in these matters!

Thanks, Julie
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM

If you're willing to do a little luggage schlepping in order to save money, take a Southern train directly from Southampton to Gatwick. You also can take Southern trains from London Victoria to Southampton (one connection at Clapham Junction).
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

TimS, how much schlepping are you talking! Maybe a taxi/private car from the port to the Southhampton train station, not a lot of stairs at both train stations, a direct-no-changing-trains route to the airport?

Also, do those trains run regularly & how long will the trip take? Do you happen to know the website address, by chance, or if not, I can goggle it.

If the private car prices cause me to eek loudly, I'm sure we will be looking at the train!

Thanks for your help, Julie
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM

I used Just Airports in both directions a few months ago and would definitely use them again. The price we paid was not much more than the price of two persons using the Heathrow shuttle.
Sep 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM

www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares. Direct trains from Southampton to Gatwick seem to be every hour, taking about 2 hours. From Gatwick Airport station into the terminal is just up an escalator, as I recall, and there are certainly lifts.
Sep 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM

For information on getting from the Southampton cruise terminal to the train station, go here: http://tinyurl.com/p7kn7t.
Sep 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We've decided. I've emailed the suggested car service companies for quotes. If the prices seem reasonable to us for the convenience, we'll take one of them. If the prices make us eek!, I'll be back to Fodors for some info on the train.

Thanks again, Julie
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Hi for transfers at Heathrow you may want to check out our website at www.dot2.com as we are the only shared-ride door-to-door shuttle at the airport with customer service desks in terminal arrivals halls. I'm not sure about the etiquette of company's posting so will remain factual and leave it at that.
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM

DavidDTG: Hi. Yes - there are rules against commercial sites promoting their services on here - even if the advertising is that low key/factual

But not to worry, several Fodorites have mentioned/recommended your service so there is no need to break the rules.

To keep to the 'factual' theme here - in general dot2dot is highly recommended for single travelers. But for 2 or more, a car service often works out better/cheaper.