Transportation from London to Southampton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to arrange transportation for 6 from London to Southhampton and return in June of this year. If anyone has done this? We would appreciate any suggestions. Our cruise line is charging a small fortune.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:44 AM

With 6 people you might want to consider a driver pick up service. We always use Ray Skinner, www.londontransfers.com

Ray has picked us up at Heathrow and taken us in and out of London many times. I am not sure about his rates for the cruise docks as we only use him for London, but e-mail and ask. Also ask if he cannot do it who he can recommend, he is very knowledgeable. Ray is a delightful guy and we have always loved riding with him, I think you would enjoy him. You can tell him that Lori and John in Arizona recommended him--we usually go to Scala House Apartments in London.

Other alternatives are checking the National Express (bus) schedules and taking a bus to Southhampton but I am not sure how direct that would be or if it entails changes. You can also take a train from London but once in Southhampton you need a cab to get to the cruise dock.

Overall, with 6 people I'd opt for a car pick up service - no matter what it costs it has to be cheaper then the cruise line and way more convenient then dealing with buses and/or trains -particulary if any of the 6 are senior citizens or small children. No matter who you deal with tho, remember to specify the amount of luggage and people you will have.

Incidentally, car services are Per Car (or van) not per person. Tips are optional but appreciated by most drivers.

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:45 AM

If you go to www.cruisefools.com (it is a new cruise board) and click on England you will see where I posted info about how to get back and fourth to Southampton. Via rail will be quickest.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:55 AM
julia_e

Hello,

The train is the best way to travel in Europe. You can travel from city to city and avoid traffic and overpriced taxis, plus see the countryside. The trains are fast, relatively clean, arrive on time and save a lot of money over other forms of transportation. After my bike, it is always my preferred method of travel when I live in Europe.

Best Regards,
Julia

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM

kintzing, I was thinking about your problem this p.m. and it is not clear if you will actually be in London or at one of London's airports. Either way, if you decide to do a train you will have to take a taxi to a train station. With 6 people that is at least 2 cabs (minimum). Also you will need taxi(s) again in Southampton at the train station. With the dollar so weak against the Pound now the combo taxi/train would probably not be the way to go. All in all - and for comfort if nothing else, I think you would do better with a car/driver service which would be "door to door" for one set fee.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:28 PM

We used National Express. It was a very pleasent trip, the cab stand is in the bus station in Southampton. It's a 5 min. ride. National will drop you at Heathrow on your return.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:42 AM

We used one of the black cabs, and it was about $150 US...well worth the price, and no bus like the cruise line.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We transferred from the QM2 at Southampton to LHR last week (shared the van - it would hold 6) with another couple who were going on to central London. We used Woodford Chauffeuer Cars (http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/) and were extremely satisfied, plus the price was better than other services for which we got quotes. Nice people, based in S'hampton, and FYI they lurk and contribute on the boards at cruisecritic.com.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:09 AM

We just used justairports.com for transfer from LHR to hotel in London - don't know if they go to or what they would charge for Southampton, but worth checking out.