London to Dover??

Search

London to Dover??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London to Dover??

We're taking a cruise in June which leaves from Dover. We'll be staying in London the night before, hoping to get a glimpse of it before the cruise. I know, not much time. Does anyone know about getting to Dover from London? Thanks to all.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Trains are fastest with very frequent links. To Dover Priory station, about a mile from docks. buses take about twice as long. No need to reserve, just show up at Victoria station, though you could leave from other London stations with a change of train en route.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM

I did this same thing in May. Caught the train from Charing Cross station--was direct to Dover. Took about 1 1/2 hours. Trains left about every hour. At Dover there were taxis waiting right outside so could have taken one to the docks. As it was, we were renting a car there to travel around the South. I think you can get the train schedule on line.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

To PalenqueBob and Margo, Thanks so much for the info on trains to Dover. Sounds like the best thing for us.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Just a note: We've done many cruises out of Dover and if you're anything like us, you'll have lots of luggage. Train travel in Europe isn't made for passengers with several pieces of luggage and no one makes it easy. You must carry you own luggage aboard and you can't stow your larger items beside your seat but rather at the end of the car. When we took the EuroStar from Paris to Dover, we took advice from other posters and bought a bicycle-type lock and locked are 2 larger pieces together and then to the metal rack at the end of our the train car. We haven't had the experience of traveling by train from London to Dover but I gather it's similar. You might want to do a search on fodor's... train travel England or U.K. I know that each cruise line offers transfers, where they handle your luggage. Also, there are private drivers from London to Dover, although expensive with the exchange rate, sharing the ride with another couple does bring the cost down to what the cruise transfers cost.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 08:41 AM

I agree w/ SandyR. The train is fast and easy - but NOT if you are like may cruisers with a ton of luggage. You will have to carry your own bags to the train in London and off the train in Dover and then to the taxi queue at Dover. Plus you will have to pile the bags at the end of the car - if there are many others already on board you will have to lift it up on top of a pile of luggage.

If you travel light there is no better way to get from London to Dover than the train. But if you each have more than one medium sized suitcase and a reasonable carry-on, or if you have any sort of mobility problems, it will be a real hassle.

If the Cruise line offers London to ship transfers, it might be your best bet - even if it is expensive.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 09:09 AM

The trains from London to Dover have saloons in second class, as Eurostar does. There is a rush hour from five to six thirty in the evening, but none in the morning, and the trains have space. So you go to Charing Cross station. One of you stands by the mound of luggage while the other goes into the station, to the platform if need be, to fetch two luggage trolleys. You need a pound coin to release them, but you get it back. You wheel your goods to the train. The journey takes 90 or 110 minutes, with no change of train, and you stow your baggage above and near your seat, not at the end of the car. If you ask the conductor he or she will tell you whether for four pounds you can buy a an extra ticket that lets you travel first class, with more space for you and your bags and fewer people passing by than in standard class. It is no-one?s duty to make it easy, but aged 67 I easily find help with bags and even my bicycle from stalwart young men and women (no sexism here) as I travel by train. The sure winner is to ask help of a young man who has a young lady beside him. And if I may be racist, I get the best help from young toughs in dreadlocks. I expect their fathers taught them Caribbean manners.

The train from Victoria takes the more beautiful of the two routes to Dover, but draws into Dover Priory station at platform three, with a lift, footbridge, and second lift to the street side. That from Charing Cross comes in at platform one, 15 yards on the level from the taxi stand. And so to your boat. Please do not leave things to the last minute, but leave London an hour earlier than strictly necessary, to feel relaxed in transit.

The drive from London to Dover starts with thirty minutes at 12 miles an hour through the south-east suburbs, by no means a pleasure (unless, like me, you live there), and of course the motor car has no refreshments trolley, leg space, toilet (bathroom), nor the steadiness to make reading easy. M7y bicycle chain stays on my bicycle.

The one way fare per person is 30 pounds 10 pence first class, and 20 pounds 40 second class.

Please write if I can help further

[email protected]