Transportation Stansted Airport to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it feasible to take the train or bus from Stansted Airport to London with enough luggage for a 12-day cruise? Is there room for the luggage on the bus/train? Which is better? Or, is it better to use a taxi or book a car?
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I'd take the train, but I always prefer trains over anything else when I travel:

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/stansted_rail.htm

There are probably buses that are cheaper - website above probably has that info too. Probably not easyBus as they limit how much luggage you can take.

How much luggage do you take for a 12-day cruise? Everyone is different. My parents will go on a week cruise and just take all carry-ons - but they often skip all the formal dinners and such. But, there's usually no problem taking a few big bags on the trains, as long as you don't mind lugging it on and off the train.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How much luggage are you talking about? Just because you are on a cruise doesn't mean you necessarily need to take a ton of stuff.

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Probably 4 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons total for the two of us.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Stansted is a long way from London so a taxi would be very expensive. With that much luggage, the train is a poor choice since you are responsible for wrestling your bags on and off the train yourself. You could book a car service like www.justairports.com (discount for paying cash). Or you could take a coach (bus) to central London with your suitcases riding in the luggage bay. Then take a taxi to your hotel.

See the londontoolkit site given by Andrew for all your choices.

If possible, eliminate at least one of your large suitcases.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>If possible, eliminate at least one of your large suitcases.</i>&quot;

If possible - <b>EACH of you</b> eliminate at least one of your large suitcases.

Sorry - but no mode will be all that easy w/ that much luggage. Why so much?? A car service will be &quot;easy&quot; on you but definitely not easy on your wallet. A bus will be easy-ish but you'd still have to schlepp your bags at both ends of the journey.

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:38 AM

A friend used a firm that took over the responsibility of luggage from the airport to ship, leaving him to only take a small carry on bag. It wasn't cheap but it seemed to have worked.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Wow. I travel for up to 5 months at a time, with a single suitcase. I'm trying to figure out if I changed clothes twice a day and never wore the same thing for 12 days how I'd still fill two large suitcases plus a carry on! And for the most part women's clothes would be less bulky than mine so should take even less space.

Sorry so many of us seem sidetracked, but I'm simply dumbstruck by this. I've seen a lot of people in airports, train stations, and on the street with that much luggage, and invariably they looked miserable, lost, and confused as to what to do next.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Have you also considered the cost of getting to (presumably) Harwich for Southampton rom London as few, if any, cruises use the Port of London?

Public transport options for Stansted BTW can be found under the &quot;to and from our airport&quot; link on the Stansted Airport website
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Goodness, my spelling

...Harwich or Southampton from London...
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Stanstead has a bus depot bith busses that makes trips into London constantly. The wait is never very long. The only problems I have ever had were on holidays.

I am pretty sure making a reservation for a bus time will save you money. Go here...
http://www.stanstedairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wonderful links. This site never fails. I agree we take too much luggage and it makes it difficult, but I tend to take extra to haul back stuff we buy for out kids and the grandkids. Maybe I'll just send the stuff back and take less luggage as cars and taxis seem VERY expensive. Thanks again to everyone.