Search

London transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London transfers

Going on Princess from London/Southampton. Staying in London on our own for 3 days before the cruise. Can anyone suggest the most economical, yet convenient way to get to hotel (city center) in London from Heathrow and from hotel to Southampton? How much just hiring a taxi for 4 people with luggage can cost? Princess provides transfers only from – to airport. Any advise on exploring London for 2.5 days on our own: couple in mid-50th with elderly parents.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:58 AM
P_M

I would like to help but I don't know the answer. However, I suggest you post this question on the Europe board. I think you'll get a quick answer there.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Hi,

Consider doing a private car transfer into London. Southampton is a long drive into London and a taxi might get expensive. A private car and driver will be a set fee and when divided by 4 people, it can be very affordable. Also, often, the driver will also give you some information as he drives along and will stop for pictures during the trip. I've worked with Noteworthy Events in London.

You can also take the train - the trains are usually wonderful in Europe. Take a taxi to the train station and to your hotel in London. There is also BritRail passes. I would suggest the BritRail England Flexi Party Pass (50% off rates for 3rd and 4th guest) or the London Plus Pass if you will be taking day trips in London and into the countryside.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM

We were just in London. We used justairports.com to go from Heathrow to London center and it cost 28 pounds for 2 people and three bags. Very easy and comfortable way to go.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 07:57 AM

You can find all the info here:

http://www.cruisefools.com/showthread.php?t=1131

The quickest and least expensive way is by rail, take a taxi to waterloo station and ride the train. Just completed this route a week ago. My trip report is also linked to the 2nd post including attractions. The hop on hop off bus tour is a must for first time visitors.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Have you consider taking Heathrow Express to central London (Victoria station) and take a taxi to your hotel? We have done this a few times, the price is reasonable and very convenient. By the way, Princess cruise transfer do pickup at Victoia station in central London. Actually, we are take the Princess cruise from Southampton in 7/2. I wonder if you are taking the same cruise. Good luck.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM

Heathrow Express goes to Paddington Station, not Victoria Station. We are a couple in our mid 60's and I can't stress how easy it was to be picked up by JUSTAIRPORTS.COM they met us at the Hertz counter by baggage claim, loaded our luggage in the car, had us at our hotel across from Victoria Station in about 35 min. A hotel suggestion would be the Hesperia Hotel Victoria, especially if you can arrange a Princess pick-up at Victoria Station.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:07 AM

We also used Justairports for London trip in April. Price was reasonable, they were very pleasant and efficient. Only problem was when we tried to make reservation online we never got confirming email - so we called them and everything was set up fine (even when my mother decided to discuss Middle East politics with driver who was from Pakistan - but that is a story for another day)