Getting to Port in Dover from London

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Brent

Getting to Port in Dover from London

We are taking a cruise in the next month departing from Dover. We were trying to avoid the pre-cruise hotel stays because of expenses and do something independently. Does anyone know a good transport company that takes people from their hotels to the Port? Any idea how long it takes or how much it would cost? Thanks.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Lori

When in London we use a driver pick up service from the airport into London and vice versa. They can also arrange transportation to the ports. Check out www.london-transfers.com and see what they say. The owner is Ray Skinner, he's a great guy - tell him Lori recommended him. I would expect it would cost a fair amount (plus tip, at you discretion) but it's better then dealing with public transportation when you are schlepping luggage around.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:38 PM
xxx

Try the train!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Sandy

I did considerable research on the subject since we will be traveling from London to Dover in August. I finally booked with [email protected] www.yourmanlondon.co.uk. He came highly recommended on another travel board. I haven't used him yet but his answers to my e-mails have been prompt and most satisfactory. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Sandra

I don't know about hotels in Dover, but to keep the price down, you might want to catch a train from Charing Cross, London. I know for sure that they have two morning trains (7.30am and 8.30am, but check the departure board).
Dover is quite nice and I would absolutely recommend taking the walk along the top of the "White Cliffs of Dover".
I'm sure you could get a taxi and still be under your budget.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Pam

Sandy, just curious -- what is the website of the other travel board that you mentioned ?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Sandy

Pam... besides Fodors.com, I go to cruiseaddicts.com and cruisecritics.com. I think both have a search feature so if you want additional info on the transportation I mentioned, use their search feature. If you want to e-mail me directly, I can give you further info.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:44 AM
julie

Sandra--
I'm in the middle of researching a similar trip, but starting from the airport. Here's the big difference, I'm cheap and don't mind using public transportation. What web site would I use to check train fares and timetables? Thanks.