London (Gatwick) to Dover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are not using a travel agent and will be flying to London and have no idea how to get to Dover on our oun to take the Norwegian Line cruise of France, Spain etc. ending in Italy. Any info on touring on our own will be appreciated. Anyone out there who can help?
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Is it too late to get the transfer from NCL? We are coming into Dover on May 13th and want to go to Paris. It turns out the easiest (with 3 people ages 69, 75, 81) and cheapest overall is to take the transfer for $55 per person and then a flight to Paris. We checked into hiring a car and it was $90 per person. In the past I've taken the train to Dover then took the hoverspeed across the channel. I guess you could take the train to Dover then taxi to port. You can check www.raileurope.com.us for train service. Good luck and have lots of fun. You'll be getting off the ship in Rome and we'll be getting on.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:46 PM

OK, I almost had it correct, the website is www.raileurope.com/us . That should get you to the main page where you select fares and schedules.

Are you going to have time in London for sightseeing? How about in Rome when you get there? Have you travelled to these countries before? Have you seen the excursions listed for your cruise on the NCL website? They are offering a lot of different ones at each port. Do you plan on "doing your own thing" at each port?

We are going through all the talks about what everyone wants to see. It will be my husband and myself, my 81 year old mother and her 75 year old lady friend (who has never been to Europe).

Have lots of fun. Enjoy.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Here is some helpful info for you. These directions are from Victoria station. From Gatwick you can take the train direct to Victoria... the train station is inside the airport terminal - depending on which airline you fly you will arrive in either the Norht or South terminal but there is a moving sidewalk or a train that connects the two. I will email you with more info on London. I spent two years there !
London to Dover
From London Victoria train station, Connex South East operate a service to Dover Priory station. The typical journey time is 2 hours and there are two direct trains per hour. Again, there is no train station directly at the docks, but it is a ten-minute or less journey by taxi from Dover Priory station to the docks, which are Dover's "Western Docks". A standard single fare from London to Dover costs £19.40. Further train information from www.connex.co.uk. Port of Dover information from www.doverport.co.uk.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:30 AM
JP

Or if you want to see anything on the way to Dover and don't mind driving in England, you can rent a car (£32 per day from Hertz with FF discount). That's what I would do, but...
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We would like to spend time in London before we board the ship. We are planning on doing a lot by ourselves because we don't want to spend too much time on a bus so we will stay close to the towns and villages in which we dock with the exception of Lisbon andSeville. Then we will go with the ship excursions since this is the first time to Spain and Poartugal. When we get to Rome we intend to go to Venice and come home from Milan so we need to figure out how to best accomplish the side trips.