London or Bust!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:56 PM
dmz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London or Bust!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site and have a question regarding my upcoming trip to London.

I purchased our airfare and hotel already and paid in dollars so I've secured that part of my trip from the sinking dollar thankfully!

My hotel is very near Paddington Station and they recommend taking the "Heathrow Express" I'm traveling with my teenage daughter and we would like to know if traveling with wheeled carry-on luggage is "okay" via this mode of transportation without "ticking" people off, and what should we absolutely not leave behind since we're traveling in Feb.
All the packing tip guides recommend layering and not bringing a heavy coat but I did a simular trip to Paris last Feb. and took my coat and was glad to have done. We are only bringing one carry-on case and a tote each. Any advice on packing lite?

I'm planning on purchasing my pounds here at home at the American Express Office. I did this also last Feb. and I got the best rate. I also didn't have to worry about finding a Bureau de Change and paying the higher rate.
And mastering numbers in a foreign language is the hardest thing to do!
My french is so limited.

Anything you can think of in the way of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dmz

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:14 PM

The Heathrow Express will have plenty of people with baggage on board and it doesn't sound like you're going nuts with what you have planned. There are ATMs all over the place in London, beginning with your arrival. What I want to know is this: Why do you need to know French in London?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Okay, I think I get it now. LOL!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:17 PM

Knew that one was coming, but was NOT going to be the one.

dmz.
You will be fine, but be careful if you are carrying lots of banknotes.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:21 PM

I have a teenager, and we always travel with only one wheeled carry-on and a tote. C'est tout! We traipsed all over England last year at this time, and our friends there advised us on the layering thingy. So we layered, and it worked out just fine. And upon landing in London, we wheeled up on to the Gatwick Express, so I think the Heathrow Express would allow wheelers!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I'm confused. Where are you from? You mention "mastering a foreign language" and you are going to England, so I assume you aren't from the US. And I have yet to find a language where numbers weren't the same. If you see 1200 in France it is the same as 1200 in the US, and certainly in England it is still the same.

Do you have a checking account? If so get an ATM card and use it to withdraw pounds in London for a whole lot less than you will pay for getting pounds in advance at home. You say you can get the best rate by exchanging money at American Express? I'm not sure what country you are in, but in the US that isn't possible. An ATM will definitely get you a better rate that the American Express offices here.

As far as luggage on Heathrow Express, don't worry. The train is for travelers and you can roll on steamer trunks if you want to. No one should bat an eye, or if they do, ignore them.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Patrick, the numbers LOOK the same, but they are not SAID the same in French. (The part about foreign language relates to LAST year's trip to Paris.)
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 08:43 PM

dmz, the last time we went to London, we bought enough money for 3 days in the U.S. in the event that we couldn't get the British ATMs to work. it turned out that we didn't really needed to have bought THAT much money in advance.

When we went, the dollar was considerably stronger so when it did fluctuate the pound actually costed less. But this time around, the opposite is true so it's your call...If I had known better, I would have relied more on my debit card--I didn't like the idea of carrying that much money--even if it's split 3 ways in our family.

Lil
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Dear DMZ, I will be in London for the first time with my teenage son 2/15-2/18 and staying in the Kensington Area. We will be in Paris from 2/12-2/15 and taking the Eurostar over to London. If you'd like to chat my e mail is [email protected]
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM

dmz, regarding the need to layer or take a coat. I've made a winter trip to London many times and I always spent a lot of time prior to leaving trying to figure out the best stuff to take to layer and avoid taking a winter coat. Trip before last I noticed so many people in the customs line upon arrival with heavy coats and I thought "what's the big deal about bringing a coat? Why not? Don't want to lug it in the airport, just sling it over your rolling suitcase."

I wore mine last time and was really glad I did. It kept me warm and comfortable when I needed it in the evenings and I left it in the hotel and wore a wrap over a sweater when it wasn't too cold. I also didn't have to take bulky sweaters to go over turtlenecks, silk long underwear, etc. so packing was definitely lighter.

Have a great trip to a wonderful city!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:03 AM
ira

Hi dmz,

I also suggest not purchasing pounds in the US.

I exchange about $100 (and pay the high rate) at the departure airport, just to have some cash when I get to where I am going, and then use charge cards and ATMs.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:41 AM

I am answering about packing light.

I just came back from London Monday. There for 4 nites/5 days.

I took too much stuff.

Here's what I'd take tomorrow:

A warm coat, hat, scarf, gloves

1) in suitcase: 1-2 pair of "everyday" trousers (like jeans), washable if necessary (i.e. if staying more than a week). 1 pair of "nice" trousers, wool.

2) 2-3 "under" layers - light turtleneck, silk T-shirt.

3) 2-3 top layers, one kind of nice - cardigan sweaters. Maybe a twinset, which counts as one under + one over.

4) silk undershirt plus usual underclothes

5) one pair of nice shoes with good soles for walking; one pair of boots also with nice thick soles. Spray both with waterproof spray form shoe repair store

6) IF I plan to use health club in hotel--on plane, wear sneakers plus exercise clothes. Otherwise, on plane wear "room clothes" - something like exercise clothes to put on to hang around in room, have breakfast before getting dressed, etc.

You'll have own ideas about cosmetics, makeup, etc. I don't like to check these so I put them in a backpack (because they are heavy), also carry a tote on board, and check suitcase even if it's small.

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Bring the coat. If you were glad to have it last Feb in Paris, you will be glad to have it this year in London. I brought a full length overcoat even in early December.

I'm also wondering why you need to buy all of your pounds from Amex before you leave. Do you have an ATM card? I personally don't like to carry around a lot of cash.