ONE NIGHT IN LONDON

Mar 18th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

ONE NIGHT IN LONDON

Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone can suggest a private driver/tour for the one night we will be in London. We would need a pick up at Gatwick (5:30PM) and would love an evening tour of London and drop off at a hotel that perhaps you might suggest. We leave out of Heathrow the next AM. Also, since I'm asking, any great restaurant ideas? We are traveling with our 11 y.o. daughter. THANKS SO MUCH for your input.
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Hello

Can I ask where you will be staying (area ) and what time are you leaving in the AM and what day is it

Rgds

Jon
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

We leave out of Heathrow 11AM next morning. We have not decided on a hotel or area...any ideas?
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

oops, 4/19, Weds.
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Unfortunately that is a pretty crummy schedule for seeing anything.

Some things to consider - driving from Gatwick into central London will take more than an hour. So if you are landing at 5:30, have to wait for bags, go through immigration and drive to London, it will will probably be nearly 8 p.m. (or even later) before you are anywhere near any sites. And when you factor in eating dinner you will not have much if any time to see anything

And the next day you have to be at LHR by 9 a.m. at the latest, which means leaving London before 8:00 if you have a driver. Or if you stay near Paddington Station you can take the Heathrow Express which only takes about 15 minutes - but Paddington is not near any of the major sites.

As much as you want to see a bit of London - w/ this itinerary I'd forget about it. Especially w/ a child. Just take the coach to LHR and stay at an airport hotel. You could take a taxi to get a nice Indian meal near LHR. You'd save all the hassle of in/out of London w/ very little benefit.
Mar 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Janisj you have a very good point, and a good curry meal would be such a "London" thing to do. On the other hand, in January we were unexpectedly stranded in Paris (missed our connection because our flight from Vienna was delayed) from late one afternoon until our flight the next day. The hotel had information about a tour bus group that came to the hotel and gave a 2 hour driving tour of Paris at night. They picked us up at 9:00pm and we were back at the hotel at 11:00pm, when they took out another group until 1:00am!

While I would not by any stretch of the imagination say we have "done" Paris, it was a lot of fun. We stopped at several locations for photos. It was neat to see the city and especially the Seine river and bridges in the night lights. Of course the Eiffel Tower is stunning at night. It was a lot more fun than just hanging out at the airport hotel all evening. I have no idea if anything like that operates in London, though.