Overnight in London, where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll have an overnight layover in London in mid September and would like some help with where to stay downtown with easy access to airport public transportation. We want to walk around and hopefully see the Tower of London. I would also appreciate hotel suggestions, moderate priced, with some charm if possible.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM

There really is no downtown in London. The major tourist sites are spread out over a wide area. They have better than excellent transportation options though. Get a map and then check out Londontown.com. We prefer the Gloucester Road area. You might look at Millennium Bailey's for charm
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a few London airports - Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, London City (they even call Luton a London airport). If you mean Heathrow, anywhere near a tube station will be accessible as the tube runs directly to the airport.

You could try www.londontown.com for accommodation ideas, they have a hotel map where you key in your dates and it shows prices and where the hotel is. We've used LondonTown a few times and they've been professional and reliable.

One thing to note if you only have a very short time is that queues at Heathrow (security, immigration etc) can be very long and it also takes time to get from place to place - airport to hotel, hotel to the Tower, etc. Depending on your arrival and departure times you may not really have time to go into central London. If not, there are a few hotels at Heathrow, check the airport website for all details. As an example, we have waited in line at immigration at Heathrow for up to an hour, also the underground from the airport to central London will take about an hour.

Kay
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

It is London Heathrow, flight arrives about 11:30am one day and departs 10:30 am the following day. I remember from long time ago airport hotels not convienent to airport, but that may have changed. I'll go get a map and start looking at stations ett. Thanks all for help.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM

With a 10:30 departure the morning after you arrive at LHR, I'd stay at the airport. Check in, leave luggage and take public transport into London (tube or Heathrow Connect) for the day returning later in the evening. Unless, of course, you want to do some late night clubbing.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i> I remember from long time ago airport hotels not convienent to airport,</i>"

You must 'mis-remember' The airport hotels are VERY convenient to LHR. But they are <u>not</u> convenient to central London. W/ those arrival/departure times, I'd definitely stay IN London.

I might forget about the Tower of London -- unless you take the time to go inside. But w/ basically from about 1:30 PM to midnight you can see/do quite a bit. Pick one major "visit" site, the Tower or one of the big museums/galleries, or Westminster Abbey -- whatever. Then from late afternoon til you crash at the hotel you can do 'outside' things, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Sq, the Eye, the Southbank -- walk around seeing everything illuminated

What is your budget? moderate priced could mean anything
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM

You don't want to be at Heathrow any less than 3 hours before your flight. If you decide to not stay out by the airport I would be sure to choose a hotel near the tube along the Piccadilly Line which will take you back out in the morning directly, no changes with your luggage. I wouldn't stay any further than So. Kensington which is also a nice area.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 06:12 AM

i agree with janisj... i would do more walking vs tower of london.
you can walk all around central london for a full day... just keep going .. stop for a coffee... do different things see different sites.... go to harrods downsstairs food dept...

have dinner at a pub.... go back and crash ..... enjoy
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
yk

I'd stay in/around Gloucester Rd tube station, which is right on the Piccadilly line so you can get to/from Heathrow by tube. The ride takes about 45 minutes but depending on which terminal, you would want to add in another 15 minutes for walking to the terminal.

If it's a nice day, I'd go for a walk in Hyde Park, and visit the V&A nearby. Or go for a walk along the river on the South Bank, pop into Tate Modern, cross the Millennium Bridge and wander through the Inns of Court.

There are at least a dozen of hotels within a 5-min walk from Gloucester Rd tube station. Last year I stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is pretty decent. I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn and the Millennium hotels right at the tube station. None of them have any particular "charm" but if you're only there for 1 night, I'd pick location/price over charm.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM

Millenium Baileys has some charm butlately I have been getting better prices at the Mill. Gloucester right next door. The Grosvenor Kensington may be finished with their renovations and might be offering some deals.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

How about the train, takes 15 minuts to Paddington station? Is that a nice place to stay? If so hotel reccomendations? Thanks all for help. I've seen about all there is around London on previous visits except the tower, but can catch it another time if need to. My husband likes to walk after so much sitting on plane.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 12:02 AM

Paddington area is a bit boring IMO!
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 12:04 AM

Actually if by train you mean the HEX from Paddington, a private car service like justairports in cheaper than 2 tickets on the hEX and they deliver you right to your doo. We have been booking them the last few trips rather than taking the HEX and a taxi
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paddington is OK, it's full of travellers and cheap hotels and the once grand buildings are often backpackers or have been turned into cheap flats. It's good for transport, as there are other tube stations (Queensway and Bayswater, others as well) within an easy walk plus buses, the Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect and trains heading out of London. The downside I suppose is there is not much for tourists in the area, Hyde Park is close by and you could walk up to Little Venice and the canals but not much else within walking distance.

We have stayed in the area quite a bit but only in apartments. I'd check out www.londontown.com to see what's available in Paddington then cross check it with www.tripadvisor.com

Actually, if you feel like a good long walk, walk from Paddington up to Little Venice, around the canal path to Regents Park, through the park and down Marylebone High Street to Oxford Street. Jump on a bus to Paddington or the tube to come home. Check it out on Google maps.

Kay
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 01:16 AM

We stayed at Studios2Let which is near Kings Cross and St.Pacreas stations just off Euston Rd. They are just a 10min walk away in Cartwright Gardens. The whole of Cartwright Gardens is full of hotels of various standard, but they all looked alright. I liked these stations because you can get an elevator which is good if you have luggage. There is also a YHA youth hostel just along Euston Rd, near the stations.
Later we just stayed at a hotel near the airport. We went into the centre of London just one more time, by getting the hotel bus which was cheap back to the airport and then getting the tube from there. We already had an Oyster Card and just uploaded it for 10 pound at the machine in the station. To go back to the hotel we just got the tube back and then the hotel bus again.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:01 AM

I'd stay along the Piccadilly tube line as suggested. Gloucester Rd or South Kensington stations - or even farther east allthe way through Covent Garden and Russell square.

I'd prefer ANY of those areas over Paddington. The tube is easy and cheap. And if you stick to a place along the Piccadilly line, you won't have to transfer.

The HEX is easy and expensive but only gets you to Paddington. The Hex + a taxi to somewhere nicer is VERY expensive, and the HEX + the tube is a nasty schlepp.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 08:18 AM

I'm unclear what the problem is with staying in Central London when you have a 10:30 AM flight. As Janisj mentions, I stay very near the Piccadilly Line of the tube and can be at my terminal at Heathrow in one hour. I learned long ago that it is often quicker than a car, which is why I finally stopped doing a private car service and now stick to the tube.

If you can check your main luggage at the airport and just do a light overnight bag or something, that much easier.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the help! I always turn to Fordorites for questions with travels and really appreciate the time you take to help. I booked a room through Londontown as suggested and plan to take the train.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM

"<i>plan to take the train</i>"

Do you mean an actual train . . . or do you mean the Underground (tube)?

A train (the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect) is generally a bad/expensive idea. It would <i>only</i> make sense if you stay right AT Paddington, which is not a terribly convenient location for seeing things in London.

The tube is much cheaper and will put you anywhere along the Piccadilly line which goes through the main central/sightseeing neighborhoods.