Heathrow Airport location

Jun 15th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Heathrow Airport location

I need to know what location or district of London Heathrow Airport is located in or near (e.g. Kensington, Victoria, etc.) so that I can find a hotel that is relatively close to the airport, but also near interesting sights.

Thank you.
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Heathrow Airport is not IN central London. It is approximately 45 minutes away, therefore there is no hotel that is close to the airport and also to interesting sites. The fastest way into central London is the Heathrow Express Train. I've never taken it but I think it takes about a half hour. There are plenty of people here who take it and can give you info. The tube (my preferred method) takes 45 minutes (but is least expensive). A taxi would also take at least 45 minutes and cost the most.

If you tell us how long you are planning to be in London and what your plans on you'll get more suggestions about where to stay. I can't think of any good reason why you'd want to stay near the airport.
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM

You won't want to stay anywhere near Heathrow for the typical tourist's trip to London. As Isabel says it is several miles west of central London (it is only about 7 miles form Windsor and about 18 miles from the middle of London).

The heatrow Express train to Paddington station takes approx 15 minutes - if you decide to take that train then look for hotels in/near Bayswater - which is close to the station.

But the tube is much cheaper - it takes between 40 and 60 minutes depending on where your hotel stays. If you plan on taking the tube, then a hotel near any tube station on the Picadilly line would be best since you would not have to change lines. Those stations are Gloucester Rd, S. Kensington, Green Park, Russell Square, etc.
Jun 15th, 2004, 11:29 AM

There are, in fact, hotels near Heathrow and also near interesting sights. It's just those sights are not IN London. The town of Windsor where Windsor Castle is located is very near the airport and there are a number of nice hotels there where people often spend a first or last night in the London area. The town of Marlow is also close by Heathrow and has some nice hotels and atmosphere.

But Isabel is absolutely correct that neither these nor Heathrow airport locations would be a good way to see London. You'd spend more time and money traveling back and forth than you might save by just staying in London. While the Heathrow Express train is quite quick, at about 10 GBP/person each way it doesn't make sense for daily commuting.

Here's a link to the tube map

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colormap.pdf

You'll see Heathrow in the lower left corner.

While the tube is cheaper than the Heathrow Express, be warned you'll have to drag luggage up and down stairs.
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be spending only one night in London in July, returning to the US from Spain. We'll be spending less than 24 hours there. That's why I thought about staying at a hotel near Heathrow. Can anyone suggest a hotel not to far from the airport but closer to central London? That way we can take in some sights. We have never been there.

Thanks!
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM

How long of a layover do you have between arriving from Spain and departing for the States - if you get in from Spain on a late flight and have and early one to the States, you won't have time to site see - in that case, I would suggest staying as close to LHR as possible - trust me, Heathrow, in and of itself, is 'site seeing'. Hopefully you'll be able to return to London and really enjoy all it has to offer!
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Dump your gear at a hotel near Heathrow and buy a Day Travelcard for Zones 1-6. You can decide whether Peak or Off-Peak will work best for you.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ards-day.shtml
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:22 PM

nora_kury - You can't stay "not too far from the airport but closer to central London", as you wrote in your last post. That doesn't not make sense and do not work.

If you want to see London, then stay in the city. Your question should be "where in London should I stay with good transportation to Heathrow". You can choose hotels that are close to Paddington Station in the NW part of city, where you can get to the airport by the Heathrow Express in 15 minues, or anywhere close to a Piccadilly Line tube station, where you can get to Heathrow in 45-60 minutes.

Staying at a hotel near the airport means you can't see London, as that'd mean very complicated transport between your hotel and the city.

As for specific hotel recommendations, I'll let others help you, as I don't have any information. You might want to state a price range, so others can help you more easily.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rrkkwan! Can you - or anyone else - tell me what district is the NW part of the city close to Paddington Station so that I can search for a hotel by location?
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM

That area is called Paddington or Bayswater. Bayswater is slightly more scenic since it is right on Hyde Park - but it is a few blocks walk or a short taxi ride to the station. Paddington has a hotel right at the station so that would be the most convenient.