Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying from London to Glasgow - Heathrow, Luton or Stanstead?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're stopping over in London for a couple of nights on our way to Glasgow. BMI and Easyjet have comparable flight times/prices out of Luton/Heathrow/Stanstead. Could you tell me what are the advantages/disadvantages of flying out of one airport over another taking into consideration which airport would be easiest to get to from downtown London.

Also what's the best/cheapest way of travelling from Heathrow into London? We haven't booked our hotel yet and we're trying to decide what area would be most convenient to stay. I understand there is a train to Paddington Station. Would that be a convenient/desirable area to stay where we could walk to some of the sights? I know London is a huge city with lots to see, so I hope my question isn't too vague.

Thanks for your help!

Kiddo
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM

So the cheapest way from Heathrow into central London is the Underground (Tube); though you may want to check whether there are construction issues. If you choose the tube for access (about an hour ride), you might want to look for a hotel near that tube line (Picadilly?) so you don't need to transfer. There is also the Heathrow Express direct train to Paddington. The Paddington area has lots of low-to-mid range hotels, and it is convenient for your combination of sightseeing and airport access. You can buy a one-day pass for central London transit (bus and tube) fairly cheaply after 9:30 am, and you will find that the pass and walking will get you anywhere you want to go for a short first visit.

In my opinion, Luton and Stanstead are definitely less convenient to reach from central London than is Heathrow, especially if you choose a hotel convenient for Heathrow access for your arrival.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM

If the prices are comparable then take the flight from Heathrow as for £4 by Tube you aren't going to get a cheaper "rail" option from the centre of London. Heathrow Express BTW is £13.50 one way & £26 return. There's also the cheaper Heathrow Connect service which costs £9.50 one way

Cheapest way to Luton is the Easybus service from Baker Street (anything from £2 upwards) but most people would take the train from ST PANCRAS or KING CROSS THAMESLINK to LUTON AIRPORT PARKWAY where there's a free shuttle bus to the airport. This costs £11.20 one way

Cheapest way to Stansted (note spelling), assuming you can't just walk to Victoria Coach Station is to take the Tube to STRATFORD then the National Express coach to Stansted at a cost of £8 plus Tube ticket.
If you are in walking distance of Victoria then take the National Express coach from there at a cost of £10

You could also take the Stansted Express but from LIVERPOOL STREET which costs £15 one way.

The train & coach services to Stansted also have return tickets available.

All of the above information is available on the websites of the airports

Finally have you checked both London City & Gatwick airports
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:18 PM

I agree, if thereīs not much difference in price, go from Heathrow. Itīs actually in London, which Luton and Stansted arenīt (itīs really a cheat calling them London Stansted or London Luton as they are totally separate towns to the North of London.)
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:05 AM

As for Heathrow-London options, tube is the cheapest, but please note you may have to use stairs all or part of the way in some stations. Depends on how much luggage you'll have to schlepp around.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:21 AM

Remember there are 2 airports for Glasgow - Glasgow International & Glasgow Prestwick.
International is closer but preswick has simpler public transport links
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.

We've booked our flights on BA from Heathrow to Glasgow and in London we're staying at the Park Lane Mews hotel. If when we arrive in London, we take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, how far is the Park Lane Mews hotel?
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM

You've chosen a hotel that is very centrally located. The Park Lane Mews Hotel is between the Hyde Park Corner and Green Park stations on the Piccadilly tube line, the line that serves Heathrow. If you're looking for economy and simplicity, just take the tube (no transfers). If convenience is important, take the Heathrow Express or the Heathrow Connect to Paddington station and a taxi from there to the hotel.

Visit www.tfl.gov.uk to download and print a tube map.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tim. The tube would be fine, but I'm afraid we'll have too much luggage -- even trying to pack lightly!

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>If convenience is important, take the Heathrow Express or the Heathrow Connect to Paddington station and a taxi from there to the hotel.</i>&quot;

Actually a better choice is probably a car service like justairports.com -- cheaper than the HEX+taxi and much easier than the tube w/ luggage.

They willl collect you right outside of arrivals and drop you at the door of your hotel w/o having to schlepp your bags on the <b>long</b> walk to the LHR tube/train station or through Green Park or Padding stations in London.

If you pay cash the fare is discounted an it comes out cheaper than the HEX/cab
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM

janisj is right. I should have suggested justairports.com. A car service directly from the airport to your hotel is your best choice if you've ruled out the cheapest route (tube).
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you TimS and Janisj. I went to the Journey Planner and plugged in our hotel address (2 Stanhope Row, Park Lane,
London, UK W1J7BS) from Heathrow Terminal 3 and I get various combinations of tube and bus. What am I doing wrong?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:03 PM

I entered the address of your hotel on the Journey Planner and discovered that the JP changed 2 SStanhope Row Park Lane to 2 Stanhope Road, not at all where you want to be. If you enter only the postal code, the JP suggests taking the Piccadilly line to Hyde Park Corner. Your hotel is between the Hyde Park Corner station and the Green Park station. When you're out and about in London, pick either station, depending upon where you're going to and coming from.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much TimS for clarifying that and also JanisJ for the suggestion of using justairports.com. That's probably exactly what we'll do -- the rate is 48GBP return to Heathrow.