Search

London Metro

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Rose

London Metro

Want a really easy to read London metro system map-any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Steve

They seem to be pretty standard, just different sizes. A couple of trips and you'll be a pro. It gets easy quick!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Patrick

I favor two ideas. Either the B&amp;B City Streets map which is plasticized and easy fold that includes an easy to read Underground (not called the metro in London) map. Or the A to Z, also easy fold.<BR><BR>But in all honesty, there is a much larger and easier to read map at each entrance to the Underground as well as lots of them posted within the stations. Still it is nice to have a little one to refer to when you're out and running around. Frankly I think the street map that shows the Underground stations is more helpful when you're trying to find your way around. That's why I suggest one of the combo forms mentioned above.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:56 PM
nancy

Get out the Streetwise London map available at Borders bookstore. I used the Paris one and it was excellent. Then pick up the small metro map at your first metro station. These should serve you perfectly.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Bebe

Check www.thetube.com for downloadable underground maps in PDF format.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Jen

No need to print out a copy in advance. Free brochures with user-friendly copies of the classic underground map are available almost everywhere in London, as well as in every guidebook.<BR><BR>My own favorite map is a detailed street map that has not only the tube stations. but also the superimposted color-coded connecting linees between them -- this makes it much easier to plan routes that might involve changing lines. Personally, I like to get a paper map that I can write on -- I use a highlighter on the sites I plan to visit, which makes it that much easier to plan itineraries day by day (two places might not be close together, but just a couple of stops apart on the same tube line, for instance). Sure, this ruins the map for the next visit, but maps are cheap and this use as a planning tool is worth it to me!<BR><BR>Now if only there were an easy way to understand the bus system routes . . .

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM
London Girl

Please don't call it the &quot;Metro&quot;. You wouldn't call the subway in New York &quot;the tube&quot;, right?<BR>Besides, the Metro is the name of a free newspaper in London.<BR><BR>Actually, I think it is a good idea to download a copy of the tube map online, if only to familiarise yourself with the way the system works. I believe they have both jpeg and pdf maps.<BR><BR>Jen, try the spider maps for simpler bus routes.<BR>http://www.londontransport.co.uk/buses/route_maps.shtml<BR>Just choose the area you want in the drop down list. The maps are designed like tube maps and you can find them at bus stops as well as the regular maps. I find them much easier to read.<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:36 AM
george steed

The Polish call their underground rail, Metro. London, polite suggestion, use the busses. Site to site is usually faster and without all of the walking that the underground may require. There are guide books available listing sites with the attending busses. New signing at bus stops should get you going in the right direction. Conductors on the busses will help and will often notify you of the stop you wanted. Many English people speak an understandable English. Politely ask questions. We have been put in a car or truck and taken to our destination after making an inquiry. London is a wonderful place for visitors!