Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

A map of Paris with metro stops superimposed

Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I remember seeing a map (not the usual schematic Paris metro map) that showed the Metro stops and lines superimposed on a real map of the city, showing the streets as they really are. Or am I dreaming? If I am correct, does anyone know where I could find this? I find it difficult to have to jump from the street map (showing where I am and want to go) to the Metro map (showing where I can go on what line) and back again. I hope this isn't too confusing.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM

Not sure I have ever seen a map that overlays the metro lines on a street map, but Google maps display metro stops, and when you click on a metro station a pop up shows you which lines serve the station. If you do find what you are looking for, please let us know!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:00 PM

The "Streetwise Paris" map shows the streets of Paris with the metro stops marked, the lines aren't superimposed over the roads but it is accuarte & efficent.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM

If you mean on paper, I do believe the RATP has a folding map that shows the lines superimposed over a street map. I can't go dig in my stuff right now or the old man will wake up, but it might be called the "Grand Plan du Metro" or something like that. I think it has the bus lines on the other side.

The "Petit Parisien" map book also has this for each arrondissement, as well as the 'normal' street map and a 3rd map showing the bus stops.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

http://www.acme.com/metro/

You need to zoom in to actually see the street name
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM

That's really cool for an online version!

I found a Flickr photo of the paper one I'm thinking of:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conleya...59860/sizes/l/
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

I knew you guys would help me! Thanks so much.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM

Go to http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_pdf.php

Click on Metro (avec rues)

Note that not all streets are included.

If you want to enlarge the detail, save this pdf file to your PC. Then, open the file and change the % to 65. Center where you are staying. If you want to print, click on "current view" in the print dialog window. You can increase/decrease the % to enlarge the area/enlarge the print.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM

Yes, that's the online version of the paper map you can get from ratp when you buy your tickets or passes.

There is also a choice for 'bus avec rues', which is on the reverse side of the paper map.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM

Redmaps have the lines superimposed. They're easier to read than the Streetwise ones.
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:29 AM
ira

Hi L,

The Streetwise Paris map has the metro stops and most taxi stands shown on the city map.

It also has the Metro system shown as it actually exists.

Available at amazon dot com

Feb 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM

Try the Paris map book called "Le Petit Parisien - 3 plans par arrondissement" published by L'Indispensable (slim book with navy blue cover).

There are 3 maps for each arrondissement: one standard map showing street layout and metro stops, one showing metro lines superimposed over the street map, and one showing bus routes/stops superimposed over the street map.
I paid €6.50 for the book last year - you can get it in most bookshops/newsagents/tabacs in Paris.
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM

The reason the Streetwise one is so good is that the Metro stop symbols are placed at exactly where the platforms are.

For example, if you look at Montparnasse, you can easily tell from the Streetwise map that transferring from Line 4/12 to Lines 6/13 will require a very long walk.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM

In addition to Métro (avec rues), you will find RER IdF on the RATP site cited above. It doesn't give as much detail as "exact station locations" but offers a broader view of all the rail lines and how they interconnect.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Every Paris map I have (and I have a lot) has the metro stops marked on it. I think the only one I've ever seen without that is in some guidebook, and it was a really bad type of map (it was probably either Fodors or Frommers, in a book) for that reason.

This question just surprises me as almost all maps are like that. They don't show the actual lines underground, but I don't see why anyone would care about that as you need to know where the stops are. I don't think the OP is really asking for a map showing where the metro lines are underground, though.

I have Streetwise Paris, about 3-4 versions of arrondisement map guide small books I've bought in Paris (l'Indispensable, etc), several free Paris maps I've gotten at hotels, as well as RATP maps, and every one of these shows metro stops on the map.
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM

re: <<This question just surprises me as almost all maps are like that. They don't show the actual lines underground, but I don't see why anyone would care about that as you need to know where the stops are. >>

The OP is not asking for just the stops (which most maps show) but the LINES as well. Helps to avoid transfers. You may be about the same distance to 3 subway lines, one of which going directly to your destination while another requiring two transfers through mazes like Chatelet.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Maybe I'm "old fashioned" but if I am ever in doubt I look at the RATP map posted in the station, by the entrance to the station, or on the trains.
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:14 AM

"...if I am ever in doubt I look at the RATP map posted in the station..."

If I'm close to 2 or 3 stations, though, it's nice to know which one to walk to for the most direct train to my destination. I'm another Streetwise Paris fan.
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM

If you carry a PDA, you can use a free program that figures out the optimum Métro or bus line from your current street address to your destination. Go to nanika.net/metro