tour appropriate for 80 year old

Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

tour appropriate for 80 year old

Hi there. I've been to Italy, but am looking for a tour package recommendation for a friend who's traveling with her 80 year old mother and her 62 year old aunt. Any recommendations?
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM

Trafalgar, Globus, and General Tours are all good.

I went with Trafalgar to China and General Tours to India. I recommend both.

My poor dead mother, who is mentioned in Fodor's Prague 2nd Edition, and step-father loved their tour of Turkey with Globus.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Jan 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM

A person's age has only so much to do with her/his physical condition and abilities to travel. I am 80; my wife is 78. We travel a lot, both in the USA, the Orient, Europe, and S. America.

We have found Grand Circle tours and their small-group (no more than 16 travelers in a group) suit us well.

We recently returned from their tour to Italy -- Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast, and Tuscany. We were not the oldest nor the youngest in the group.

We are returning to China in the spring, again with Grand Circle.

We are returning to the Danube in the fall, taking the river boat from Vienna to Amsterdam. Again with Grand Circle. Unpack once. All sorts of interesting places to see and things to do. Excellent food and accommodations.

There are those who wouldn't care for tours. We find that they take care of all the arrangements, handle the luggage (a chore I hate), allow plenty of free time, and give excellent value for money. And there are the hundreds of friends we have made over the years on tours.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM

How about this tour company? Looks comfortable with the itinerary...enough walking but not tons.
http://www.tartarugatours.com/toursoverview.htm
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM

Elderhostel?
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:18 PM

Elderhostel, definitely!
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM

Elderhostel ONLY if they are pretty active/healthy. ElderHostel tours are not meant for the less mobile or physically limited. They are very good tours - but most are very active and some are quite strenuous.

I second GCT that USNR mentions - or Tauck if they fit in your budget.
Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM

I don;t think it's a question of age - it's a question of health and stamina.

typically th tours require quite a bit of walking (buses can;t get close to a lot of places) and there are many early (6 am) starts and long days in the bus.

As long as the 80 year old is healthy, energetic and comfortable with keeping up with the group (they can't wait for someone who slows everyone up because they're generally on tight schedules).

Frankly, for someone who would like a slower pace and not so many early starts independent travel is much easier than a tour.
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:11 AM

One thing nice about Elderhostel, is that they accommodate the needs of an elderly person. Yes, you need to be somewhat active! On the other hand, they're used to frequent bathroom stops, smaller meals, that sort of thing.

I believe each tour describes how strenuous it is.

BUT I don't speak from experience here, I have some friends who go on them frequently.
Jan 4th, 2008, 06:08 AM
ira

HI M,

How about some data on physical capabilities, interests and desires?

Jan 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM

You are correct about Elderhostel. My friend who takes them (every year to all kinds of great places) is in very good physical health and 62 years old. If the 80 year old is more frail, they won't be appropriate.
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM

Did you consider to book a private trip?
According to your budget and special needs you can have a tailor made tour.Much easier for the elder.
I am a Turkey addict and all my arrangements are made through matiana travel.I am sure they will answer your doubt.
www.matiana.com
Jan 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Grand Circle is a great company for older people. We usually travel with OAT, which is part of Grand Circle, but last year went on a trip with GC and found ourselves (in our 60's) among the younger people. A high percentage were around 80. The pace is fairly slow and they take good care of you. We've found all their trips to be wonderful, with excellent guides.
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM

meredith:

I have been a member of the Elderhostel faculty for a dozen years. Aside from the various history classes I conduct, I take the group on a eight hour tour of Hollywood on the day before New Years every year (and also at times during the year that coincide with my "The Early Years of Hollywood" course.

Just to give you an example, I run the group through their paces at every stop, climbing the incline to the Bowl, climbing steps everywhere, walking at a moderate pace through throngs of visitors, etc. There are times when a few of the group opt to sit and wait for us to return to the bus, but they are all given that option beforehand.

Elderhostel is a caring, very experienced organization, begun in New Hampshire about 35 years ago (now headquartered in Boston). I don't recall one unhappy attendee in the last 12 years...we strive to give them fun along with the educational aspect.

Of the 8-12 times I lecture each year, I'm usually in the middle of my pack age-wise (at 78)...had a 93 year old last year who outran us all! Invariably I bump into EH groups while we'ree traveling...and I marvel at the excellent, pefectly planned itineraries they follow.

Happy travels!

Stu T.
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM

It really depends on the "physical age" of the traveler. We went on Tauck's Australia and NZ tour with an 89 year old lady who outpaced most of us younger people. I highly recommend Tauck, incidentally, far over GC or other companies.