Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need advice on taking the bus/metro, in london and paris

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:11 AM
tripchick

hello, we will shortly be going on a trip to london and paris and i was kind of worried about know what type of transportation to take where. how will i know how to get to the major attractions in both of these cities? do they usually have a guide at the stops that tell you which buses/metros to take? i know that the transporation system is excellent in these two cities but is it safe to travel at night? we are not planning on renting a car there either. please help and if you know of any websites that i can look at for references please make any suggestions. thanks.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Christina

YOu will have to get a guidebook and map and learn how to read a map and follow directions. Maps geared towards tourists or visitors have major sites and musuems on them. I recommend you get the Streetwise Paris folding, laminated maps so you can get used to them (available in bookstores). There will often be vague signs on the street near tourist attractions or the metro stop nearest with an arrow pointing general direction, but you can't count on that too well.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Christina

as a followup, I see you want to know what bus/train to use in addition to how to walk from the stop. You will have to figure this out by reading a map and learning how to use public transportation system maps. Most guidebooks do list the closest metro/tube stop to major attractions. So then you'll have to figure out from a tube/metro map how to get there from where you are. Bus maps are usually a little harder to come by (although fairly easy to find in London in the major underground stations), and they can be a lot trickier to figure the routes out. In paris, bus maps are on the bus shelter at the stop, but I think you may find them hard to figure out if you aren't used to them. The London signs on the post at the stop only kind of list the names of the stops the bus makes, which won't help you if you aren't familiar with the area or map-reading.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Notaproblem

All you have to do is look at any subway map when you get in the station. Follow the colors from point a to point b and you are at your destination. You will know you have to switch if the color changes.Want to walk from subway to your destination? Look at any tourist board free map and ask at the toll booth. It is very easy to figure out. I would not buy a guide book for understanding the subway outside London or Paris. Extremely easy in fact the new New York city cars are modeled after the British/French subway system. The listing of stops above the doors (Paris) is particularly helpful for understanding how many stops to your destination. Don't fret about this for one instant, you could ask someone at the different terminals but don't bother yourself you can figure it out. Not tricky at all.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:42 AM
kate

tripchick,
I never took a train(subway) until I was in London and it was soooo easy! Get a Streetwise Map, and when in London, Paris, get the Tube/Metro maps, and figure it out. It is really not hard, there are no actual guides to help you, but the people that are there are helpful. It isn't hard to follow, they use color codes and such.You will be a master at it in no time!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:43 AM
kate

http://www.thisislondon.com/img/visitors/tourist/tube_map_frameset.html

Here is the London Tube map, just to get you familiar.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Jen

My favorite map that I used in London was a detailed street map of the center of the city (i.e., the part of interest to tourists) that had not only the subway stations marked, but also the color-coded lines connecting the stations; this made it SO much easier to paln a route from one spot to antheer, since we could readly see not only the stations but also the routes, intersections, and alternatives.

Also, most tourist guidebooks, web sites, etc. will tell you which is the closest tube stop to your chosen site.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:05 PM
tripchick

Thanks you guys for your help. i really appreciate it. i live in miami and here we NEVER use the bus or metro. the only time ive used it was in new york. it just freaks me out since im going to another country and dont want to lose time, but thanks to you guys i dont have to worry anymore!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:32 PM
nancy

Definitely get the Streetwise Paris map (I got mine at Borders Bookstore - hopefully there's one for London). Also get the metro/tube guide at any station. With these two you can get anywhere. First I conquered the tube, then the metro. I spent a month in Paris last year and Streetwise was the perfect map. These maps also show the museums and other important sites. You just need to know the "end" station so you go in the right direction. Any questions, please e-mail me directly. P.S. I live in So. California and there is no public transportation to speak of.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:34 PM
IMO

Jeez, you seem to be speeding toward nowhere. Good luck.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Ben Haines

In London you can pick up a free bus map at any tube station, and in Paris at any kiosk of RATP: there is one in front of each main station. Busses give good vires, but are slower than metros or tubes.

Welcome to Europe

Ben Haines, London