Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Made reservations for Feb - now need to develop itinerary for Scotland - please help

Search

Made reservations for Feb - now need to develop itinerary for Scotland - please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Cindy

We just made reservations for February. Will be flying into Manchester England (great US Airways rates) We know we would like to spend four days in Edinburgh. Would also like to go to Glasgow, Isle of Skye, Stirling, Inverness, not sure where else. My friend also wants to go to some distilleries.<BR><BR>We are planning on renting a car in Manchester and driving. From what I have read, it seems as if we will do much better with our own vehicle as opposed to relying on bus and rail. I am a little concerned about parking in Edinburgh

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:45 PM
jill

Cindy,<BR>I was in Scotland a year and a half ago in March. Be prepared for all kinds of weather. It snowed even in March. But you should bring good rain gear as well.<BR>My favorite places were Inverness and Isle of Skye. I would plan to spend at least 2 days on Skye. It is absolutely gorgeous and you can do some wonderful walks. I thought Inverness was very quaint and relaxing. The river running through town gives it a very European feel.<BR>We rented a car the whole time we were there. We didn't spend any time in Glasgow. In Edinburgh, our B&amp;B was about a mile south of the Royal Mile and we had no trouble with parking. We just walked or took the bus to the sights.<BR>Have fun!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:53 PM
buzzee

Hi Cindy,<BR>Edinburgh in February can be cold. I hiked up to Arthur's Seat wearing heavy winter bike tights under wool pants and still felt the chill. Be prepared to layer. That was the only time I really felt it though and I spent plenty of time outside. The Royal Botonical Gardens were a delight even at that time of year. You probably won't need your car in Edinborough but the driving isn't that bad. The theatre is very good. I did a haunted tour which was quite chilling and even somewhat informative!<BR>Make sure you stop in Oban, the prettiest harbor in all of Scotland and the gateway to the Hebrides. A car is a good thing for this trip. Make sure you know that many pubs only serve food between 12 and 2 in the rural areas, cafes serve food all day. Also you should have no problem securing a hotel or B&amp;B at that time of year. If you have time go all the way to the top and take the ferry to Orkney. It is a wild, wonderful place. <BR>Check out all the castles you can, they are all different and quite enjoyable!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 11:36 PM
fiona

Jill<BR>As a Scot I had a chuckle at your comment about snow &quot;even in March&quot;. We can expect snow anytime from November right through to mid April!<BR>Cindy<BR>I second the comment about Oban. Not sure I would spend too long in Inverness but you could make it the finish point of your drive up the west coast from Oban. The views along the way are spectacular and there are lots of interesting little places to stop off along the way.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Sheila

Cindy<BR><BR>I would probably take the train from Manchester to Edinburgh and get the car there when you leave. You certainly can park outside the town centre, but why pay the hire charge to have a car for 4 days when you really won't use it.<BR><BR>If you want to email me, I'll send you some stuff on your chosen places- it's all on here anyway, but I have most of it in Word docs that may be easier to access.<BR><BR>Jill, apart from whatt you wrote, why did you like Inverness. Genuine query

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:43 AM
christine

Cindy<BR>dont think of taking a car to Edinburgh. Parking in the Centre is hugely expensive. The best way to get about is on foot so its a waste of money. Stay in the centre of town and use the bus if you want to go further afield. Rent a car and head north to the Highlands but be aware it'll be dark by 4.30 and the weather could be awful so aim to be tucked up in your Inn /Hotel by then with a dram!