london hotel stay

Search

london hotel stay

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
london hotel stay

I'll try and make this short. My new hubby and I are in our mid 20's. will be needing inexpensive hotel in london for 2 nights in oct with a private bath close to tube stations. My hubby wants to go to stonehedge
but for only 2 days is that enough time?
Thanks in advance for all the advice
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:00 AM

As much as I loved Stonehenge, if you're only going to be in London for two days, a visit there might not be the best use of your precious time since it will pretty much take up a whole day whether you choose to drive there, take the train or join a day tour. I'd save that for a future, longer visit and spend your two days seeing the sights within London itself, which in itself will be a challenge to choose what to see and what to save for next time. As for hotels, the areas around Paddington and Victoria train stations abound with budget small hotels near tube stations (though keep in mind that with the current pound-dollar ratio "budget" is a relative term). A couple places you could start researching are SmoothHound, TripAdvisor and Priceline. I've used SH and found it incredibly helpful with lots of info on the various offerings, and many other posters here have praised Priceline though it is mosre restrictive. Last spring when I went to London I stayed at the Oxford Hotel in Bayswater (equidistant to 2 tube stations) for £50 per night in a twin room with private (though very small) bath. I liked the place and would recommend it - in fact I posted a review on TripAdvisor after my visit.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Can't comment on Stonehenge, but as for affordable accommodations near a tube station, I've always had good luck in Bloomsbury. Try anything near the British Museum. (I'd stay away from the King's Cross railway station area). You'll be within easy walking distance of Russell Square tube station as well as a Safeway and many other convenient shops.

Jenkins Hotel and the Harlingford Hotel are good starting points.

http://www.jenkinshotel.demon.co.uk/index.html

http://www.harlingfordhotel.com/
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Earls Court is full of hotels. They are small, but comfortable and convenient. We stayed at the Comfort Inn at about 65GBP a night, breakfast included.

Personally, I don't go for glitzy hotels when I'm only going to sleep there. So this place isn't as glamorous as the Savoy, but worth the money and convenience. The Tube station was about a five minute walk.

TripAdvisor is good for hotel reviews. I'd start there too.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Unless the whole point of the trip is to visit Stonehenge, save it for another trip.

A lot of us in this forum like the hotels and location around the Gloucester Road underground station. Though the inexpensive hotel that I have used there has gone up about 70%

Perhaps we told too many people

Keith
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Seeing all there is to see at Stonehenge takes about half an hour (that's the length of the historical tour on the complimentary audio guide you get at the entrance). Getting there and back can take half a day.

After six hours of sightseeing around London, we took the 2:03 out of Waterloo, had a relaxing ride to Salisbury (SAULsbree), waited a few minutes for the Wilts & Dorset bus*, trekked out to the Plain, and were back in London by 9:19.

It's your vacation - you decide.

<b>* http://www.wdbus.co.uk/htm/ttNorthern/002-3.pdf</b>
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:24 AM

Agree. save Stnhnge for another trip.We booked that/Bath/Salisbury-entire day-wonderful but no time for most of London sites. Going back in March and plan to spend three days and catch up a bit. Can't wait
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM

Hi. You may check into some of the hotels in the Victoria area...I have stayed at the Melbourne House Hotel and the Luna-Simone Hotel. The L-S is nicer. Of course, it's nothing fancy, but it is clean, comfortable, and friendly. I believe they fill up early, though, so inquire well in advance. Both hotels are very convenient to the Pimlico tube station, on the Victoria line.
As for Stonehenge, I put it off until my THIRD trip, actually. It is pretty impressive but, with only two days, your time in London will be unfortunately limited.
Have a great time...London is wonderful.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:48 AM

It's easy for all of us to say don't go to Stonehenge this trip when we've all been there already. I went my first trip because it was a must see for me and I didn't know when I'd get back to England again. However, I had 7 days.
You need to decide if this is a must see for your husband.
Usually, the hotels around the train stations are the cheapest. Think Victoria, Paddington.