Reload this Page >

small hotels in cenral London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 04:19 PM
krista

My boyfriend and I are staying in London for three nights in a couple of weeks and welcome any suggestions on a small nice hotel/bed & breakfast with en suite facilities located near British Museum area. Have tentative reservations at The Lonsdale, anyone stayed there? Or any other recommendations.

Old Aug 2nd, 1997, 07:26 AM
Beth

I always stay near Glouster Road in Cental London. That is close to Harrods, The V & A Museum and Hyde Park. It is a great location and there are a ton of small Hotels and B&B's. It really depends on how much you want to spend but London is not Cheap. Even the small Hotels are about $75 a night. There is a hotel in that area named Hotel Montana ( I don't have the address) and there is the Cromwell Crown Hotel at 139-141 Cromwell Road. Tel:0171-370 it is a tourist class hotel. But there are so many hotels in that area to choose from. Also if you stay in that area you can take the tube directly from Heathrow to Glouster Road without changing Trains. That is a plus because cabs aare about 20pounds. Have a graet time.

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 04:49 PM
becky

Just returned from London; spent two nights in The Jenkins in Cartwright (sp?) Gardens, a crescent in Bloomsbury. Fodors offered a forum in June on Great Britain in which lots of reasonable hotels were mentioned. While the Jenkins is clean, and the staff very accommodating, it is pretty basic. Fodor's spokesperson mentioned the Morgan, I believe, then there is the George. Get a travel guide and check out Bloomsbury (very near the British Museum) section...or near Russell Square. I found commuting to other areas tedious...but the tube is convenient and easy. Be sure to buy a day pass or check out other time passes for the Underground ...you can really save lots of money. Also, be prepared for hordes of people at the British Museum. Have fun!

Old Aug 4th, 1997, 03:14 AM
Mike Miller

You may also want to check out the many small hotels near Victoria Station which is a great jumping off point for the rest of the city. Ebury street is loaded with them. You can check out many websites for London hotels. http://www.demon.co.uk/hotel-uk/index.html
is one you could browse.

Old Aug 5th, 1997, 06:08 PM
Karen Harris

Krista - We have just recently booked a flat in Bloomsbury
for 2 weeks over the Christmas holiday. The area is very nice
and offers a large variety of inexpensive restaurants.
Some hotel choices are; Academy Hotel, 17-21 Gower Street,
near the Goodge st. tube station and the British Museum.
They have 35 rooms and 23 have a bath or shower and toilet.
The service is wonderful, the staff friendly and very affordable.
Avalon Hotel at 46-47 Cartwright Gardens near the King's Cross or
Euston tube station. The decorating scheme is a bit eclectic but
the price is right starting around L45 for a double. They have 28
rooms but only 5 ensuite. The Bonnington Hotel at 92 Southampton Row
a bit larger with 215 rooms and all ensuite but they offer a
weekend getaway special if you stay 3 nights (Fri, Sat and Sun) at
almost half the price. (around L40 for a dbl). They have a full
service restaurant and direct bus service to Heathrow Airport. One of
the earlier responses mentioned the Gloucester Rd area and would
heartily agree. That is where we normally stay but it can be a bit
overrun with tourists. It is on the Circle line so makes navigating
London quite easy. Please email me if you would like further info
or telephone numbers, I should be able to scrounge them up. Have
a great trip!

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 11:22 AM
Jo Ann Ward

I will be in London for 10 days in September. I would very much appreciate the phone numbers for the Academy, Avalon, and Bonnington hotels. Does "ensuite" mean with bath? Thanks.

Old Aug 9th, 1997, 06:37 AM
Karen Harris

Joanne - Sorry for not responding sooner but I don't
check the message boards everyday. I will send you
the numbers but try to email me directly. Thanks.

Old Aug 17th, 1997, 06:44 AM
doug

dear karen
we also are planning a trip to england during december, if you have traveled in england previously
during this time period any suggestions would be helpfull esp. regarding hotels and b&b's.

thanks doug

Old Aug 17th, 1997, 08:11 AM
dkf

We recently returned from London and a stay at
St. Margaret's Hotel on Bedford Pl. and very near the
Russell Square Tube. Our room was LARGE with a
conservatory (overlooking a small garden) and bath but it was $138.00. Our daughter
and son-in-law who were traveling with us were not
so lucky -- their room was SMALL (no bath) and facing
the street (noisy). Price was $80.00 All these rates include taxes etc. However, the hotel is neat, staff is very
friendly and the breakfast acceptable. It's a five
minute walk to the British Museum.

Old Aug 17th, 1997, 08:20 AM
Bel S. Castro

If staying in London for more than a week and at least two people, you may want to consider serviced apartments. It was a one-bedroom apartment and had a kitchen, a sitting room. There's a 24-hour doorman and twice daily maid service. Like a hotel, sheets and towels are changed everyday...not as swanky, but far more comfortable. I was able to get over 20 offers just from making internet inquiries --chose the swankiest I could afford (was in the Mayfair area) and even then spent less than 800 pounds a week. I did get offers though as low as 500 pounds a week, including utilities etc.

Self-catering apartments (no maid, only one set of linen)can cost even less.

I don't know what things may cost now. But for those staying for weeks and not days, it's worth considering.

Old Aug 18th, 1997, 04:53 PM
Preston N. Rawlins, Jr.

A delightful small hotel (which is attached to
my favorite restaurant in London) is Manzi's.

MANZI’S RESTAURANT & HOTEL

ADDRESS: 1&2 Leicester Street
Leicester Square, WC2

FAX NO: 011-44-171-437-4864

Manzi's Restaurant is the oldest seafood restaurant
in London and has great fresh seafood (Scottish
Salmon,etc.) I'm almost an advertising agency
for Manzi's! It's within walking distance of most
major central London attractions(and Leicester
Square must be the equivalent of Mecca for the
25 and under age group).

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 12:58 PM
Dave

Just returned from London. Stayed at the Morgan, in Bloomsbury, just around the corner from the British Museum. About $110 US, with a great breakfast included. A pleasant place.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Laurie

Topping for Elaine

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Frank

To Beth (above), the Hotel Montana is fine. However, don't let them give you a basement room. It is very musty smelling and the window opens to the employees lounge. An awful room.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Kent

We were in London, in October &amp; stayed at a delightful hotel on Cromwell Road - The Comfort Inn &amp; Suites-Kensington. Don't let the name fool you, it is a chain, but very English &amp; very nice. We paid $130/night. Room was small, but nicely furnished &amp; clean. Double glazing mean't that there was no road noise. The only complaint about the BR was the small size. It had a great shower. The continental breakfast was also very nice. There is a small lounge that served light food, but we never used it. 5 minute walk to Earl's Court tube &amp; 8 min. to Glouster St. Tube. I would go back there.<BR>Oh, and the staff was friendly &amp; helpful.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Huh?

What use is topping a thread with info that is over 5 years old???<BR>ps. I'm pretty sure Beth would no longer be interested in the Hotel Montana!!