Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Favorite neighborhood in London - for tourists

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:25 PM
paul jansen

Any thoughts or preferences?<BR>We are a thirty something couple travelling on our honeymoon, and need some ideas on where to stay.<BR><BR>We're looking for a centrally located area that is SAFE, lots to do within walking distance of the hotel (shopping, restaurants/cafes, history), not too "congested/crowded" (ie SOHO, picadilly--we do NOT enjoy the bar/disco scene).<BR><BR>We are specifically looking for an "English style" hotel or boutique hote--4 (or 5) stars, and was thinking of Bloomsbury (Thistle hotel, etc.), covent garden (Covent Garden hotel, etc.), knightsbridge, south kensington, or mayfair. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!<BR><BR>I realize this is a matter of personal preference, but ANY input would be great!<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR>Paul

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Shauna

I have heard good things about Bloomsbury and apparently is is quite up-and-coming. The British Museum is in Bloomsbury, and the area is within walking distance to the touristy areas like Soho, Picadilly, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, art galleries, without being right in the centre of things. Covent Garden is fabulous for restaurants, theatre, etc. but is always buzzing and might be too crowded/noisy.<BR><BR>Mayfair is a good choice too. Very upscale and not too nightlife-ish, but also close to everything.<BR><BR>Knightsbridge and South Kensington are good choices too, but a bit out of the way and you'd need to take the Tube to most places.<BR><BR>I'm not too sure of hotel names, but I hear that the Thistle hotels are pretty good (I've never stayed there) from others on this site.<BR><BR>Have a fabulous trip and congratulations.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Sue

Hi, Paul ...<BR>I just returned from London on Saturday. We stayed in the Hyde Park/Kensington area and found it to be very convenient as well as quiet. Although I would NOT recommend the hotel we stayed in (Caring Hotel - NOT!), there are many hotels in the area, including a Thistle hotel mentioned in another post. Paddington Station is nearby. Congratulations on your marriage and have fun in London! It's a great city.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 09:27 AM
Sharon

I stayed at the Thistle Bloomsbury in September and really liked it. It is very English in decor. The room was cozy, nice with tea making setup. There is a nice bar and restaurant. It is close to Covent Garden, theatre district, a block from the British Museum. I was happy with that choice. I felt very safe.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:05 AM
LD

Husband and I just returned from a trip which included about five days in London. We stayed at Balmoral House - thanks to Fodorite recommendations - which is just a few short blocks from Paddington Station, and really enjoyed the neighborhood. We found it to be safe and quiet. <BR><BR>It's very convenient to Hyde Park, and everyplace you'd want to visit in London is an easy Tube ride away, e.g., Oxford St. shopping, Westminster, etc.<BR><BR> There are at least two inexpensive internet cafes within a stone's throw of Paddington (one right across the street from the Hilton, which is adjacent to the station), nice pubs, Indian restaurants, a steakhouse, pizza places, Greek restaurants, and a laundrette.<BR><BR>We really enjoyed the area. BTW, rates at Balmoral House Hotel currently are 40 pounds for single with shower, 65 for double or twin (with WC, shower en suite) and 80 for triple, with substantial English breakfast included.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Deborah

We stayed at the Harcourt House Hotel on Ebury Street near Victoria Station. This is a reasonable hotel, but there are other gorgeous boutique hotels there also - we walked EVERYWHERE very easily..... safe and lovely.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:24 AM
tracy

hey paul, congrats to you and the love of your life!<BR><BR>a couple of years ago i recommended notting hill gate/the area just off kensington church street as being ideal to some other honeymooning friends. there are lots of nice hotels (vicarage, the gate, etc.) in postcodes w11 and w8 that would be perfect for you - and, much quieter than sw7 or sw1 (i'd personally avoid victoria like the plague - you never want to be near a mainline train station, imo).<BR><BR>big huge congrats again!!<BR>= )<BR>t

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Paul jenson

Thanks everyone!<BR>So now, how about Montague on the Gardens vs. Chesterfield in Mayfair? Is the area around the British Museum too crowded and noisy and &quot;dirty&quot; or have a lot of &quot;punks&quot; (for lack of a better word)? Is the area immediately around the Chesterfield Mayfair hotel too boring? Please help....again!<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Shauna

As far as I can recall, Bloomsbury is fairly quiet and &quot;punk-free&quot;. London isn't the cleanest city in the world anyway, so I won't comment on dirtiness. However, Bloomsbury is fine in that respect. As others have previously said, Bloomsbury has a kind of bohemian feel.<BR><BR>If you're looking for something more, for want of a better word, &quot;classy&quot;, I would recommend Mayfair. It is pretty upscale and also within walking distance to Picadilly, Soho, Covent Garden and shopping, so I wouldn't say the area would be boring at all.<BR><BR>I don't recognize the two hotels you mentioned, so I'm afraid I can't help there.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Holly

Paul, You are going to have a great time. We just returned from London a few days ago. We stayed at the Clifton Ford just off Oxford St. Very quiet neighborhood, yet close to the Bond St. tube stop. Didn't go to Bloomsbury myself, but it kind of looked out of the way from where we spent most of our time. Shopping around our hotel (Mayfair) was very high-end (too pricey for us - especially with the exchange rate) but fun for window shopping. I think Covent garden is going to be too hopping for you - maybe just go to dinner there one night. No place is boring - there are pubs, shops and restaurants everywhere. Have a great time!!! p.s. do the Beefeater tour at the tower - it was a highlight. We also saw Mamma Mia at the Prince Edward theater - also a highlight. Eat at J Sheeky, Tamarind and Ramsay (book ahead) Delicious!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Ira

Hi Paul,<BR>I've stayed in Bloomsbury and Notting Hill. Both are interesting. Notting Hill is very trendy. Bloomsbury is more sedate, but with a Bohemian edge.<BR><BR>I found Le Meridien Russell Hotel on Russell Square to be verrrry English.<BR><BR>Do a google search on Bloomsbury hotel.<BR><BR>Are you currently traveling on your honeymoon?

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Brenda

I stayed at the Chesterfield Mayfair last year, and it sounds as if it meets your criteria. Within a short walking distance are Shepard's Market and shopping on Piccadily. The immediate area is very quiet (boring?) but with a nice pub across the street and a few doors over. The hotel itself is cozy and charming, staff was great, nice breakfast buffet offered.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Tom Goodwin

A hotel that might suit you would be the Sherlock Holmes, (on Baker street, where else). Very nice, cozy hotel, convenient but not too bustling area.