Reload this Page >

Swansea to Ireland; Swansea to Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Audrey

My son is in Swansea, Wales and wants to travel to Ireland for a quick weekend trip with a friend. What is the quickest/most economical way to go? Also, he booked a trip to Amsterdam but wants to cancel because he found out it is a 16 hour bus ride from the university! Any other suggestions if he wants to try Amsterdam another way?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Janie

Hi Audrey.<BR>I can only give you information based on research. There is a ferry from Swansea to Cork in Ireland. Assuming your son wants to go to Dublin..from Cork he can catch a bus/train. See websites below:<BR>Ferries: http://www.12travel.co.uk/ie/car_ferries/swansea.html<BR>http://www.swansea-cork.ie/tiring.html<BR>Buses/rail:<BR>http://www.iol.ie/~discover/rail.htm<BR><BR>I am unable to advise you on getting to Amsterdam. Please note that train and ferry to Dublin is also up to 11 hours in journey time. You could search for flights however your son would have to travel to elsewhere other than Swansea (perhaps Cardiff) to get a flight to both Dublin and Amsterdam<BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Audrey

Thanks Janie for your info. He did decide to stick with the 16 hr bus ride to Amsterdam. He didn't want to lose any money and he said the bus is always reliable. I will forward your info on Ireland to him though. Thanks again...

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Jenny

You could always go to Bristol, and fly from there - I note Ryanair does flights from Bristol to Dublin, but I can't find any direct flights to Amsterdam from anywhere nearby. Maybe someone else can help with suggestions with ferries or the like? I think it's going to be a fairly long trip however you choose to do it.... sorry.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:24 AM
AR

The above posting ignores the Air Wales service from Swansea airport, daily direct to Dublin at &pound;99 return, and Cardiff Wales airport has regular daily direct flights to Amsterdam by KLM. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Audrey

Yes, that is good info. I will pass that along to my son. Thanks for your help...