Search

London area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London area

Can someone suggest an area in London that would be best for renting an apartment where we would be able to walk to pubs and nightlife after sightseeing all day?
Thanks, Bill
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Hi, Bill. I like Bloomsbury/Fitzrovia.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Well, what a treat for you! The first time we went to London we stayed at one of those giant tourist hotels near the theater district.

After that we made ourselves at home at Sloan Square Apartments, right by the Sloan Square Tube station. You must buzz yourself into the building and then you will receive a key for the rest of your stay. The apartments are from studios to two-three bedrooms. We always get a two bedroom with a small kitchen on the third floor, where we prefer to be. We buy cheese, fruit, bread and wine for out suppers when we are to tired to walk across the square and coffee, cereal, rolls etc. for breakfast. Lunch is always out and about. The square is ringed with restaurants and our personal favorite is Oriele. We enjoy sitting there with our wine and watching the crowds go by while our barking dogs take a rest.
You can google Sloan Square apartments and a several apartment complexes will come up. I think we are number 10 Sloan Square,

You can walk to Harrods or catch the tube anywhere you want to go.

Thanks for the memory, we need to go again soon!

B.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Somewhere in London.

Seriously, you're asking for an area where you can walk to a pub in London? That's like asking if there's an easy way you could be overcharged for food or souvenirs at Disney World.

Check this forum for similar inquiries. Lots of them.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM

BigRuss, if you had nothing positive to add, then why did you bother to respond -- just to be snarky?
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Yes, actually.

No city is more frequently and extensively discussed on this board (in Europe, at least) than London. The OP can easily check this forum by keyword and find plenty of suggestions. I do it all the time. If I have a specific question, I ask and the forum is generous enough to assist. I endeavor to repay that generosity by giving as much help as I can for people who ask questions.

But (check out the recent thread on pet peeves) the forum is not here to have people do the work for the OP. And even the least strenuous search would find plenty of information on pubs in London, areas to stay that are close to "the sights" (as if they are all clustered together, which they're not) and more.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

BigRuss, I wasn't necessarily asking for a pub, I realize there are plenty in London. I was asking for an area that I could find an apartment and be able to walk to some pubs. I would think this would eliminate certain business areas of the city and probably some hotel-crowded touristy areas. I wasn't trying to get you or anyone else to do my research for me. I thought the forum was to be used to get personal opinions and favorite areas people have experienced, even if you feel that someone has already asked/answered the question.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:20 AM

I was asking for an area that I could find an apartment and be able to walk to some pubs. >>>>

Absolutely everywhere!

Avoid the sqaure mile if you're here over the weekend as it closes down. Ditto Canary wharf.

Otherwise its hard to screw this up.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:21 AM

what else do you like?
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:22 AM

We stayed in a BandB (just 2 of us) in the Belgravia area and LOVED the location--literally 2-3 minutes from 2 pubs (one The Nags Head is or was London's smallest--which doesn't stop the crowd which spills onto the sidewalk). Not sure what you mean by "nightlife" (clubs? music? theater?) so don't have any input about that. (We liked the quiet of where we were and after our full days didn't look for night life other than rest!) We were less than 10 minutes from Harrods, Hyde Park, tube stops, several nice restaurants, a grocery store, wonderful bakery and plenty of shopping (even if just window shopping, it's fun to look at all the shops and designers around Sloan Street!)
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:15 AM

"why did you bother to respond -- just to be snarky"?

I keep seeing this "snarky", does it mean just being nasty or is it the same as the UK term "sarky" meaning sarcastic ??
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM

CW has it part right. In effect, there are very few places of the kind that OP is worried about. The City of London is a business district that is very quiet with lots of places shut over the weekend (Canary Wharf pubs and restaurants, by the way, don't shut over the weekend, as those of us who depend on it since we live nearby can tell you: on the other hand, it is a bit far out for the average tourist).

It would be easier to come up with comments on specific places that you like the sound of for other reasons.