Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Top of the morning - London (Canary Wharf apartments)?

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to rent an apartment for a week in in London from 4/27 to 5/4/13 for 4 adults. Wondering if we should stay in London or the Canary Wharf area as far as practicality of location. The pricing is within our max. weekly budget of $1,600.00 (traveling to Paris for a week after). Please help with thoughts on below apts. or if you have any other recommendation. Thank you!

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-2/204592

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...-zone-2/243464
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Canary Wharf is a fairly long commute from central London - via the Docklands Light Railway - DLR to Bank Tube station - it is a thoroughly modern area which you may like or not and has a shopping center, etc but lacks any residential character like most London places offer - like ancient neighborhood pubs, small South-Asian run newsstands, Chinese take-outs, Kebob shops, etc.

Canary Wharf is modern London - and requires probably about 20 mins commute each way just to get to the Bank tube station - places in central London are more conducive to going back to during the day for a respite from touring by Canary Wharf is too remote for that.
Canary Wharf is an area of modern high-rise office buildings that is really an extensive of London's financial district - at night most folks are gone back home though during the day the area fairly hops IME.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM

the area is rather new ( many offices, some shops and restaurants), but you will be spending a LOT of time
traveling on the tube.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Canary Wharf is far east of central London-IMO one should only stay there if on business in the area.

There are many apartments in central London in that same price range.

Checkout these for starters - not as modern as the Canary Wharf ones but cheaper and more central.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/index.htm

Not saying that is necessarily where you should book,but they would be an vast improvement over Canary Wharf.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much janisj. I will definitely check the link you sent me. Truth is 20 minutes to and from is wasting precious commute time when we only have 7 days in London. Please feel free to offer additional advice.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM

I will be in London in March with a group of five and had much discussion on here about where to stay!! there are several places you can rent much closer. I went with Coach House Rental http://www.rentals.chslondon.com/

I have also stayed with Travelodge in London four years ago - they do have family rooms that sleep four - not much extra room but you do have your own bathroom and good prices
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Truth is 20 minutes to and from> that is 20 mins or so to and from the Bank Tube station, which is another 20 mins or so from central London.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM

"I have also stayed with Travelodge in London four years ago - they do have family rooms that sleep four -"

Travelodge and Premier Inns are great (travelodge the cheaper of the two). But do check the fine print - their 'family rooms' are often for families w/ children, not 4 adults. For example Premier Inn's quads/family rooms are limited to 2 adults and 2 kids under 16.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM

PQ is forgetting that Canary Wharf is on the Jubilee Line - 15t minutes or so from Westminster, Green Park and Bond St.

But in general, I wouldn't recommend staying in or near Canary Wharf unless you had business there (and I live there) - certainly not for a family just wanting to visit the main tourist attractions.

The first of those flats is to the east of Canary Wharf proper, in a development which is nice enough in itself, but next to the main road, with not much in the way of services and entertainment within walking distance. It's a good walk into the Canary Wharf estate proper.

The second is right in the Canary Wharf estate, so much better from the point of view of connections and services on your doorstep. But you've still got the problem of getting to and from the main tourist attractions.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all- all responses have been very helpful. PatrickLondon being that you live in London, perhaps you have some other recommendations for apt. rentals in London?
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Alas, living here, I know nothing about the market for tourist rentals. The best I can do is offer some information about the localities of places people spot (especially if the advertisers are stretching the truth a bit). In the most general terms, I'd suggest you look around Bloomsbury or South Kensington or somewhere more central or west of central.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Good to know. Thank you!
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

My son and daughter are in there 20's and enjoy live music.
Your thoughts on this apartment would be most appreciated.

http://londonrentalflats.com/booking...ropID=18&ln=en

or

http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/l169...bqxcoepxf.aspx
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 01:38 PM

see my post on your other thread re these flats . . .
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM

Would stay more central than the first - not too much better than the Canary Wharf location, just on the other side of central London; the second's location is better.

Yeah, ton(ne)s of 20somethings like "live music" - a term with little actual content or context. For concerts, venues, shows, clubs, etc., tell the kids to check out londontown.com.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM

And the original listings are misleading - if a flat is in Zone 2, it's not in Central London.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:18 PM

Gloucester Road is better placed than Canary Wharf for access to main tourist attractions, nightlife, etc. Nothing wrong with Holland Road apart from the distance to tube stations (and possibly traffic noise).

Point your 20somethings to http://www.timeout.com/london/music/