Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: end of a 4 week tour with two teenagers - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be winding up our teenagers' first trip to Europe with a stay in London 29 June - 3 July. (We are actually starting in London too, but staying on Eel Pie Island and only coming into London for a couple of day trips.)

We are staying in apartments in Paris, Amsterdam, and Bruges. I am now looking for accommodation in London and need help -- it's so BIG!! Based on what I have read on other threads, what appeals to me is staying near the Piccadilly Line (can't wait to browse F&M!) We would like to stay someplace comfortable and safe. As it's the end of the trip, I can foresee the teenagers wanting to be independent and to not accompany mom & dad on every outing. Therefore, I'd like to be near some interesting/safe for 15 & 18 year old suburbanite teens.

Suggestions?

Additionally, we have another 4 days prior to this last stand in London, coming from Amsterdam. I would gratefully accept suggestions for one additional 4 day stay in the UK that don't require a significant amount of travel time. I'm kinda pooped out from all this planning! My wish list is long and our time is short, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Oh! Our budget! I'd like to stay under $400 per night but know that won't be easy at this late date.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:40 PM

$400 is about 250 GBP per. That should give you plenty to work with.

There are ton(ne)s of London apartment rental websites from Aplacelikehome.co.uk to any number of others. What you must watch out for is apartment size - one square meter is 10.625 square feet so a 50 sqm flat is 530+ square feet, which is very small for four adult-sized people.

The Piccadilly Line is one of the longest in London - do you mean the line or Piccadilly Circus? Fortnum & Mason is near Piccadilly Circus.

Consider staying on the South Bank (not necessarily in Southbank) near Waterloo station or Leicester Square. Both will have plenty of places for the teens to explore without you and connections throughout London.

Make sure to use the www.daysoutguide.co.uk discounts for the Tower, Churchill War Rooms, Hampton Court Palace, St Paul's (if available), etc.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM

Check out the Apex City of London on Seething Ln. It's a nice hotel, especially if you get the deluxe room. Location is great- About a block from Tower Hill Tube Station and the Tower of London with lots of restaurants and coffee shops close by. Also close to the Thames. I've stayed in pretty much every part of London over the past 15 years and this is an excellent choice. Easy access to anywhere in London via the Tube and a very clean, safe area. When we were there in Dec 2011 they were filming Skyfall just around the corner.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Regarding that "extra 4 days", how are you getting from Amsterdam to London?

Just a couple of ideas....

Edinburgh Scotland is an incredible city that ranks as one of the most beautiful and interesting in Europe. There are tons of things to do and see there and four days would be about right. Also, there are a number of 'cheap' direct flights from Amsterdam (and most other cities in Europe) to Edinburgh that can cost less than $50 if booked ahead. Easy Jet, Ryan Air, German Wings, etc.

It's an easy 4 1/2 hour train ride from Edinburgh to London King's Cross during the day, or you can catch a 'Night Train' leaving Edinburgh around 11:00 PM and arriving London Euston the next morning about 7:00. Sleepers have 2 to 3 bunks per room and if booked ahead are quite inexpensive.

Also, York is a very cool place that would definitely appeal to your kids (I'm sure you'd enjoy it too) and it lies along the main train line from Edinburgh to London

One other thought- If you haven't already booked this part, you might want to consider doing Amsterdam BEFORE Bruges (a great place by the way). That would enable you to ride the EuroStar via the 'Chunnel' from Brussels to London which would be a great experience for the teenagers.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Apex City of London appears to have only one room left for all of June and July, so I think that's out.

Both Edinburgh and York are on my wish list... do you think I could squeeze a day stop at York on my way down to London?
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM

I think the Doubletree Hilton Southampton Row meets all of your specs. My 20 yr old daughter and I stayed there a few months ago and found it comfortable and convenient. Half block to British Museum, easy walk to Covent Garden and West End theaters, on or near bus lines in all directions. Coffeehouses, pharmacy, small 24 hr market within a block, and the fun Hummus Bros almost across the street.

They have a triple "apartment" available now it looks like, for your dates and in your price range.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Forgot: it's also short two blocks to the Russell Sq tube stop on Picadilly line.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM

We always prefer to get a flat, the little kitchen is great for breakfast and an end of day snack...the rest of the day we spend out and grab a bite on the road.
It really doesn't matter where you stay, the underground makes getting around easy and trains run frequently enough so there is never a long wait.
A great 'freebie' for teens is the British museum...I know, another museum, but this one starts off with the Rosetta stone, there are mummies, Egyptian artefacts, roman, Grecian, British too. The Danish chess pieces, a bog man...my kids loved it here! The entry is free but they rent out these media guides that make it a bit more like a scavenger hunt - will keep them interested. Covent gardens is not too far way, you can walk there afterwards and be entertained by the street performers and check out the shops.
Camden lock market is fun for teens, with the hip stalls and shops. Historically, I would recommend the London Tower ...get there early, take the yeoman tour first then visit the crown jewels, bring a snack and sit at the benches on the courtyard and watch the ravens try to nab people's food, they each have a colored band - there is a leaflet with their names and stories about them there. Afterwards visit the white tower and the other towers. If you want to see London from a high point the budget version would be the monument, next the tower bridge which was also a favourite with the kids, then the eye. I'd avoid the hubbub around buckingham and head to either Windsor castle/eton or Hampton Court (did they see the Tudors? This was Henry viii's home)...while Windsor has more to look at, Hampton is great fun with actors roaming about, you can grab costumes onsite and enjoy an audio self guided tour. The nr 15 bus route is a good one if you are looking to ride on one of the older route master double-decker buses.
The London pass has a lot of these things and they offer a three day pass, might do some price comparing to see if it's worth it...if you do decide to getnit, then take the boat ride to Greenwich, the London tower experience is sort of a haunted house thing, but could be fun for the kids. The London zoo is in there as well as a couple cinemas. Great place to end a European holiday.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM

We've stayed in several different areas of London, and decided that for us (big into walking around at night and plays / shows, NOT into shopping) that we prefer the Covent Garden / Bloomsbury area. For our next trip, I'm considering staying at the Arosfa Hotel; they do have family rooms, if you are ok with a hotel instead of an apartment. Lots for teens to do around that part of London.

Our previous trip, we stayed in Belgravia, at the Lime Tree Hotel. They have at least one family room. The place was nice, and a convenient location to Victoria Station. The pubs / bars on the street were nice, but more for us than our kids.

Edinburgh is a great place to visit, but there's so much to see in Scotland that it would be difficult IMHO to be there and not spend time in the countryside as well. If you do end up visiting Edinburgh, we stayed in a GREAT B&B called No. 53 Frederick street. Their family room was huge, the hosts were nice, and breakfast (served in the restaurant of the fancy hotel next door) was very good. We're planning to stay here again, when we're in Edinburgh in September.