London Apartment neighbourhood info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - this is my first post here but I've been reading the forum for weeks in preparation for my family's first trip to London (in March). We have decided to book an apartment rather than a hotel and found two apartments as solid candidates. We found these ourselves on a web site renting from the owner, rather than through an agency.

One apartment is advertised to be five minutes walk from the Hammersmith tube (in Harrods Village). The other is advertised to be 30 seconds walk from the Knightsbridge tube stop (in Park Mansions). Does anybody have any advice as to whether either of these locations have any advantages over the other?

Also, this will be our first time renting an apartment from an owner for a vacation like this. The Harrods Village apartment owner has told us they don't sign rental agreements for rentals less than 4 weeks. (Ours is for one week). But, she will email us the full terms and conditions with our confirmation upon paying deposit. Is this "standard" or something I should be concerned about?

I'm looking forward to learning from you all!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While not exactly the hinterlands, Hammersmith isn't exactly Central London. For that reason alone (ignoring the complication with the 1 vs 4 week rental), I'd be inclined to take the Knightsbridge place. Closer to the sights.

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM

IMHO for tourists Hammersmith is the end of hell and gone. Don;t know the apartment in Knightsbridge - but it is very central location and a pleasant area with lots of shops (including Harrods) and restaurants.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not completely clear on your second question.

If the owner doesn't rent for fewer than 4 weeks, why is she considering your 1 week vacation?

I think it's reasonable for owners to ask for a deposit. But are you saying she won't send you the terms and conditions of a 1 week stay unless you pay a deposit? That sounds odd (but I think I'm missing something).
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM

I'd pay double to be in Knightsbridge, Chelsea, or South Kensington over Hammersmith!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Unless there is some compelling reason for renting the Hammersmith apartment, stick to Knightbridge. I stayed in Hammersmith my first trip to Europe and it just is not a good choice. It's kind of an industrial area and seemed a bit run down although we did walk by some very cute houses on the way to the pub..great pub by the way..The Queenshead..very good food. But, that's not enough reason to stay in that area. Getting closer in wasn't bad. Hammersmith is on the Picadilly line, but I can't see any reason to be all the way out there if you have Knightsbridge as a choice.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your responses so far! Knightsbridge seems to be the overwhelming choice.

Obxgirl, re my second question....I had been advised not to rent an apartment without a signed rental agreement. For the Hammersmith property, the owner agreed to rent to me for one week but told me she only signs rental agreements for rentals of 4 weeks or longer. So, never having done this before, I am a little uneasy about this. I was just wondering if signed rental agreements are the norm or exception for weeklong rentals. Sorry - I wasn't very clear the first time!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 08:07 PM

I'd interpret that comment about rental agreements to be saying, "look I won't sign an agreement with you for just one week. If someone comes along the day before your arrival and wants it for a month, I don't want to be bound to a signed agreement with you for one week. I'll cancel you and rent to them." Isn't that how you'd interpret it?
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:18 PM

OK - I have never signed a rental agreement in more than 20 London rentals over the years. I send a deposit (if required), they send a confirmation w/ all the details, I get the keys when I get to London. No contract, or "rental agreement" per se.

Now I know some agencies/owners work differently and I would not object to a written agreement - it has just never happened.

But Jackie, this doesn't matter to you anyway since we (hopefully) have convinced you to choose Knighstbridge.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for your advice! We rented the Knightsbridge apartment today - I can hardly wait for March to get here!!!