Search

Assistance in finding a London apartment for 6

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM
kdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assistance in finding a London apartment for 6

Well, we have decided to fly into London and spend a few days there before going to Paris. It has been many years since I have been there and can't remember where we stayed, though it seemed close to everything.

My first question what section of London should we stay? If this was up to my daughter we would be close to the new whole foods market that will be built by the time we go that is located in Kensington However, we should be located in an area where we can easily get around by bus or the underground.

Once I know where, the next question is what are some of the better sites to search for an apartment, other than VRBO.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Almost everyplace in London is located where you can hop a bus or the tube easily. There is no way you will be near all the sites.

Before anyone can suggest apartments we need to know your budget. Remember, what someone thinks is a real bargain is expensive to another. Also, are you looking for fabulously luxurious accommodations or will basic furnishings be ok? Everyone has such different expectations (and budgets) it is very hard to recommend anyplace.

You may have a bit of a problem with 6 people - be sure to check if there are EXTRA charges for additional people. Many apartments do charge extra. Also be sure VAT is included. Some bargains are not bargains so bear that in mind.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
kdm
Original Poster

Thx Lori. If the transportation is easy, that is half the battle. On the budget side I would like to spend no more than $400USD per night. I did get one response from http://www.vrbo.com/14270 on Craven Street. It is OK. Of course I prefer the properties listed on http://www.londonperfect.com/ but they require a min of a week.

Thx again.

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM

If you are spending less then a week I think you might have a problem with many apartments as many places do not rent for less then a week. If you are not looking for super luxury I can suggest Scala House - furnishings are basic but location is good (around the corner from Goodge St. Tube, within walking distance of British Museum, theaters, etc.) They have two penthouse apartments that would hold six people each I would think. They come with 2 full bathrooms and a terrace (a large one). We have stayed there several times (in a standard 2 bedroom apt). Again, it is not like LondonPerfect apartments which are quite elegant/expensive, but they get the job done so to speak. There are full kitchens, washer/dryer, micowave, etc. tripadvisor.com also has some reviews of Scala House. Most indicate what I just said, furnishings are basic and management is a pleasure to deal with.

If you are only going to be in London for a few days then maybe 2 hotel rooms would be a better choice if you can't get an apt.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Hello...
Check out London Serviced Apartments!

http://www.londonservicedapartments.co.uk/

Not knowing what your budget is, they have 3 different price ranges...economy, mid-range and luxury...sort of covers it all and offer places all over London!

I have stayed at the Mansions in Earls Court. This is in the economy group and the apartment was wonderful (2 bedroom/2 full bath) with daily maid service during the week. The Mansions have everything from Studios to 4 bedrooms with 3 bath, so, I'm sure you could find something for 6 people!! In fact, we got to go into one of the larger apartments as they were renovating it...the 4 bedroom/3bath...it was huge...perfect space for a larger group!! Location is great...just a block from Earls Court Underground and there's a big grocery store across the street (if you wish to go that route) and many restaurants!!!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM

kdm:
My family and I stayed at the following apartments in South Kensington in 2002.
http://www.astons-apartments.com/
Give it a try.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
kdm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone - I found a nice map with apartments and where they are located. Also, they give a grade next to their name, i.e. S=Superior, etc. plus there is an option to move the mouse pointer over the property and the name of the property pops up. Otherwise you can select the property and it shows where it is on the map.

http://www.central-london-apartments.com/search.htm

I did email Scala House, but I think they only accomodate 4. I am going through the London House drop-down lists to see which property can accomodate us. I just checked on Astons, but their max is 4.

This will be the first time staying in an apartment, so it has taken a little bit of time for me to get going with this research, but I am moving ahead.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM

kdm, Scala House can accommodate more then 4 in their large apts. but they do charge extra for more then 4 in the penthouse apts. Chris is the manager (Ken is the owner) and they are great guys to deal with.

Good luck with your search !!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Hi kdm

Scala Apartments can sleep up to 6, if you don't mind beds in the living room. I haven't stayed there yet, but am seriously considering changing my reservation from 202 Apartments to Scala. Scala is a bit more expensive, but for the extra cost we're getting a standard apartment with 2 bedrooms (1 double bed, 3 twins, a washer/dryer, tv and internet access. The internet access costs a few pounds extra per day, but worth it for our business which we'll have to check on. Scala also accepts bookings less than a week. Their rates are for up to four people and then a charge for the additional people.
As I said, I have not stayed there before (or any where else in London, LOL) but based on the reviews on Fodors and Tripadvisor it sounds good enough for us.
You're holiday is the opposite of ours! We're flying to Paris for a brief visit then going to England!
Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually a LOT of London flats rent for less than a week.

When are you going and how many is a "Few days"? This agency has one flat that would be perfect for 6. A 2-story penthouse w/ 3 bdrms, 2.5 baths, 2 terraces etc. They do rent their other flats for a 3-night minimum but not sure about the Penthouse. If they will rent the penthouse for less than a week it would be a bit less than $350 a night.

http://eandeapartments.co.uk/ (they also handle 2 bdrm flats sleeping 6 which are much less expensive.)

E&E is starting to wind down their long standing business w/ plans to close up shop next April. But as far as I know they are still in full operation until then.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
kdm
Original Poster

Mambo5 have a nice deductible business trip write-off I did email about 8 places today in London and Scala was one of them.

We decided to fly Virgin Airlines and stop in London. Every year we usually take the direct flight out of SFO to t France every year out of SFO on Air France in the afternoon, but this trip is very different. So this will be a change, especially going from just 2 or 3 to 6.

All the feedback I got today was helpful. Now I'll go watch the fireworks.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
kdm
Original Poster

Excuse that post - I click to quick

As I was writing, every year we usually take the direct flight out of SFO on Air France in the afternoon, but this trip is very different. So this will be a change, especially going from just 2 or 3 to 6.

I'll have watch these buttons, bad enough I don't have spell check.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Our friends stayed at the Mansions in Earl's Court in March. They had 5 people. Their only complaint is that the flat was a bit worn.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Sulan

I am looking for accomodation for up to eight people. Any other ideas? Has anyone stayed at the vrbo property kdm mentioned? (14270) How is the location?
kdm - where did you end up?