Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving Paris tomorrow am, quick help pls

Nov 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I will be writing a full trip report next week!! We stayed in Paris 11 nights and went to Bruges for 1 night... awesome trip!

My question is: flight leaves CDG at 11:30 am. We are in the 3rd arrondissement. Lots of luggage (2 suitcases each), so the train is out of the question. Should we book our taxi tonight or wait in the morning? How early should we leave the apartment??

Is it too late to book a private shuttle?

Thanks!!
Nov 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM
P_M

I will let someone else tell you what time to leave, sorry I don't know. But I would definitely have something lined up for tomorrow. You could call the shuttles to see if anything is available, no harm in that. If the shuttle is not an option I would book a taxi now.

Also make sure you know which terminal you are going to in the morning. I apologize if I'm stating the obvious but some dummies (like me) have forgotten to note that info so the taxi took us to the wrong terminal. We had to change terminals and we still made our flight but barely. That was not a happy surprise, but it was our fault.
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:02 AM
P_M

PS If you call the shuttle service they s/b able to suggest a time to leave.
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:16 AM

I would book your transportation immediately.

I've recently seen a thread suggesting arrival at CDG 3 hours ahead since the airport is crazy. I know when I left CDG last year the terminal was filled with people and lines and it took a long time to check in. I would tell either the taxi or shuttle what time you want to be picked up.

The shuttle is less expensive than a taxi for 2 people - 32 Euro for 2. The taxi will be about 50 Euro.

I can recommend Leader Shuttle. Phone: (0)1 48 74 04 36

leadershuttle.com

If they can't accommodate you try Gray Shuttle or Yellow Shuttle.

Nov 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
mms

We used Yellow Van and were very pleased. Our flight was at 10:30am and I think they picked us up around 5:30 or 6am. They called when they were a few minutes away, just to let us know. Our hotel arranged it the night before.
Nov 7th, 2008, 07:35 AM
ira

Hi Ruby,

www.beeshuttle.com
Tel : +33.1.39.24.02.75

www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/index_en.php
+33 (0) 1 30 111 300
from 06H30 to 23H00 (Paris time)7/7

www.parishuttle.com
Every day, 7:00am - 11:00pm :
+ 33 (0) 1 53 39 18 18

Call today.

Nov 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Assuming it's an international flight
you NEED to be at the airport at least 3 hours ahead of time minimum.

Figure on 45 minutes via taxi to CDG on a Saturday morning so that means you need to leave between 7 and 7:30 AM to be safe.

If it's a shuttle making stops to pick up others it could be longer.
I'd reserve a cab.

Rob
Nov 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I agree with Rob. Cost for two people using a taxi vs. shuttle is not much (assuming you are not on a tight budget). I've taken paris shuttle before and they provided great service and arrived at the expected time BUT as Rob points out, they have to make a few stops on the way to the airport so it'll take longer BUT the service already accounts for this when they give you your pick-up time so no worries about arriving late (in general).

So, really, if your budget has room for a taxi and you don't want to wake up and leave earlier than you would with the shuttle, I would go with a taxi. Ask your hotel to arrange it.

I've never left on a Saturday morning so don't know how traffic's like.
Nov 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone!

I called a couple shuttle places (we would have gone with private shuttle as 2 of us are splitting it)... no luck there. I just got recordings and didn't trust booking online this late. Yes I know, it's my fault for leaving it this late.

So we booked a taxi for 7 am tomorrow morning, this gives us more than enough time to get to the airport before the recommended 3 hours before the flight and it also gives us a bit of time if the cab is a no-show to call another one.
Nov 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM

We were in Paris last week and actually moved to a hotel at the airport since our flight was at 7:50. We called and got verbal confirmation this hotel had a 24 hour shuttle. When we arrived at 2 PM we were told they DID NOT have a 24 hour shuttle, the first would leave at 5:30, but we had big reservations about leaving it that late. The desk offered to call for a taxi for us at 5, but we HAD to reserve it the night before. It was only E 20, and well worth it as we were taken straight to the terminal. The front desk at the hotel asked our flight and airline and confirmed exactly which terminal we'd be going to. You can't assume a taxi driver knows these things.
We were there at 5:15, the airline check in didn't open til 6, but we got in line, checked in, had breakfast, then went through security and went to the gate. We didn't really have much spare time.
I'd err on the side of caution, but one thing in our case was once you go through security there are NO bathrooms, water fountains, shopping, NOTHING, so be sure you're ready to go through when you do.
Good luck.
Nov 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM

PS: we rode the train back into Paris, we didn't waste the last day and night! We did get confused on the ride back to CDG, where we would meet our hotel shuttle: We were supposed to get off just before the train veers off to the right, but we missed that part of the instructions. Had to get off, backtrack, catch the right train. Got there just fine, though.

Nov 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM
blh

Challiman, it must depend on the terminal. We flew out of Terminal 2A at CDG on Sunday. There were plenty of restrooms, shopping, food and drink options in 2A on the other side of security.

Our flight was at 11:40. We arrived at about 8:20. It took about an hour to get through check-in and security. However, shortly after we got in the line at check-in, the line got much much longer. I would say it would have taken closer to two hours had we been 20 to 30 minutes later. I had much rather have two hours to wait on the other side, than stand in line for another hour and worry if we were going to make it.
Nov 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Word of Advice to overseas travelers: the 2 hour ahead of time is definitely out the window; make that at least 3 HOURS AHEAD OF TIME AT THE AIRPORT. It took me two overseas flights where I was almost left behind to learned that lesson.
Nov 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Wow, Blh, we have flown out of CDG twice and both times had the same situation. Of course, both times we booked through American, to London Heathrow to Chicago. When we flew from Chicago to LHR we certainly had time to wander around, eat, drink, shop, etc., but once we were called to the gate area we were not allowed back out of the gate area unless we left our passport with them and came back through the gate again to reclaim our passports and enter again.
Wish they would at least provide toilets in the gate area, since it is often quite a long wait.
Nov 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM

http://www.shuttle-inter.com/homepage.htm

Call thm now..they will be there..excellent company. I use thm all the time..just returned after a month and will be returning on Dec. 3rd....55e

Have a good trip
Joan

Nov 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
P_M

<<The front desk at the hotel asked our flight and airline and confirmed exactly which terminal we'd be going to. You can't assume a taxi driver knows these things.>>

Yeah, tell me about it. That's a mistake I won't make twice.
Nov 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Well we are back home! Yesterday was a long, long day but I too prefer to wait at the airport than to rush too much before the flight.

Our taxi was at the apartment at 7 am on the dot. We got to the airport a bit after 7:30 am as traffic was very light on Saturday morning. We had 4 suitcases so altogether it cost 52 Euros.

Our flight only left at 11:30 am so the Air Canada check in counter didn't open til 8:30. We were 2nd in line, made it through very fast, security was extremely easy too (no waiting whatsoever) and while we were on the other side, there were bathrooms, food and shopping as well. Not sure where some of the other posters were leaving from (our terminal was also 2A.

All of our experiences with transfers to and from the airports and train stations were done via taxis, no reservations except for the 7 am departure, and everything went very smoothly.
Nov 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM
P_M

Thanks for the update Ruby, I'm glad it went well.
Nov 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Further word on taxi service in Paris -- if it is raining in Paris of a morning don't plan on getting a taxi anytime soon unless you are lucky - otherwise it may be mid-morning. Everyone takes a taxi when it rains.

We had the desk clerk call for a taxi about 7 am to take us to the train station in an hour. The desk clerk told us we would be lucky if a taxi came because it was raining - she didn't think we would get a taxi because of the rain.

No taxi came and we were ready to start off for the metro in the rain with our luggage. A taxi finally came but he was waiting for someone in an apartment next to our hotel. They didn't come out and I begged him to take us and after several minutes of begging he said okay - we were so lucky and needless to say he had a big tip.

Nov 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Glad you made it home with no problems!
I am almost sure we left from Terminal 2 B. I, of course, can't find my ticket info, where I had written down what the front desk told me, but that is my best memory.
Maybe we just need to change airlines!